What are you currently teaching?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Beth2004, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 20, 2008

Tomorrow I will be meeting with a little girl who is homeschooled. Her mom is looking at the possibility of having to put her into the school system in the near future and wants someone to assess her to find out if she's where she should be academically. I taught third grade last year, but it was at a private school and our curriculum was way ahead of the public schools in the area (we were doing long division in November) so I'm not sure of exactly what the public schools are doing at this point.

My plan is to do a running record to figure out her guided reading level and see if she's at a mid-third grade level (M, N, right?) but I'm not sure where she should be with math. Any information about what you're currently teaching would be great! Thanks!

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jan 20, 2008

I'm getting ready to do a unit on fractions/decimals.

Could you look up your state's benchmarks/indicators and see generally where she is on the knowledge students are expected to know in third grade. I know in Ohio, third graders have to take achievement tests in reading and math. Practice tests are available online and would give me a good idea of where a student is if I was in your situation.

I hope this helps!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 20, 2008

Our third graders only take state tests in ELA. They don't take math until 4th grade. The frameworks really aren't any help either because they are broken up into grade ranges and I really can't expect her to have mastered all of the grades 3-4 standards in January of 3rd grade! :)

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 20, 2008

I'm in a private school and pay almost no attention to the state standards. (We have our own continuum and curriculum.)

In math I am very behind schedule, and we are working on subtraction strategies with regrouping (3 and 4 digit) and also on money, decimals and some fractions. We have already covered fractions, probability and place value, and addition. We will be doing multiplication and division, geometry, and measurement before the end of the year. I also covered negative and positive numbers and some pre-algebra with my higher students.

In writing we will be doing research on the presidential candidates and biographies. They have already done memoir, book reports and narratives this year. I also need to hit some more poetry. We do letter writing with pen pals.

In reading, we are doing reading workshop, so they all read on their own level. In our read aloud we have done realistic fiction, biography, non-fiction and fantasy. We work on comprehension strategies with each of these books. We will do historical fiction and folk tales later in the year. We will do another realistic fiction as well, related to our theme. If I have time, I want to do some science fiction, but kids already read a lot of that, so it may have to wait. Our shared reading books have been non-fiction mostly and will continue in that direction for the year.

Perhaps this helps??

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 21, 2008

What level do you consider to be "at grade level" for your students? I teach readers' workshop as well and use Guided Reading levels. My fifth graders are expected to be at about a T at this point in the year. I'm pretty sure half way through 3rd grade should be about an M or N. Is that right?

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 21, 2008

I always look at a potential new student and compare him/her to my group. If he or she falls somewhere in the middle, then I don't see a problem.

In third grade at this time of year, most children have begun multiplication facts. My kids are expected to memorize them through 12x by the end of the month. Some teachers start later in the year, though.

We also don't have to consider the state standards. We do consider the culture of the school and the grade, and the 'fit' for that child, before accepting a student.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 21, 2008

I don't use the guided reading levels. I do running records on the kids every 8 weeks or so, and those are by grade level. They also had a DIBELS test in the fall, and should get another in the spring.

I pretty much eyeball the reading level. Scholastic says J-Q is typical for 3rd grade. I am not so exact as saying which level they should be at each specific part of the year. My kids are reading everything from Captain Underpants to Redwall. My girls right now really like the Clementine books, Fairy Realm books and Animal Ark books. My boys are reading Matt Christopher, Rotten School and Time Warp Trio.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 21, 2008

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I met with the little girl and, first of all, she is too cute. I was with her for an hour and she was a lot of fun. It reminded why I enjoyed my third graders so much last year. :)

She is probably reading at at least an end of 3rd grade/beginning of 4th grade level. She is just beginning basic division and will start with remainders this afternoon. I gave her a multiplication chart to fill out and she got them all right, including the 12 tables which she said she hasn't learned. She knows how to count up and figure out the problems she doesn't already have memorized, which, of course, is very important. She obviously has a very firm grasp on multiplication.

I told mom that I felt that she could put her into a school tomorrow and she'd be fine. I explained that if she were to put into school there would probably be an adjustment period for her and she may struggle a little at first, but that she has a really strong foundation and would probably do really well academically.