What are you buying for September?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherGrl7, Jul 29, 2009.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

Before the end of the school year, I made a list of the things I had to replace for September. I've picked up a few things here and there, but I'm (shockingly!) not buying very much stuff this summer!!

My list is:
    nameplates
    bowls for snack
    chalk
    timers (mine ALL broke last year!)
    ink pads
    do-a-dot markers
    sticky tac
    June calendar pieces (they never seem to have the ones I want)
    small ABC stamps
    post it flags
    chart paper
    small play doh

The only things I have gotten so far that were not on the list are 4 file crates (from Walmart, $2.50 apiece I could NOT pass it up) a shower caddy for supplies (also from Walmart- $3.50 and it's big!), a couple of magnetic marker holder containers from Dollar Tree for my whiteboard, and some things free from VistaPrint. I am so proud of myself, because usually by now I have stocked my entire trunk with stuff and am resorting to keeping things all over my room.

What are YOU getting for the new school year?

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

Basically I need nothing as my school provides me with a very generous budget. But I did buy 8 of the crates from Walmart because I loved the colors. Tomorrow I am going to Joann Fabrics to pick out some fabric to make valances for my bookcase, classroom door window, and a table skirt for my printer table.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2009

Wow- did you spend your own money?

I'm like janlee- I get a decent school budget and order what I need with that..I still haven't spent all of my money, but I will as the year goes on.

janlee- I love the curtain idea- a few colleagues in my building have made curtains to cover the shelves above the cubby areas in our room...I'd like to do that as well.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 29, 2009

I get $200 from the school, but I'll use that to buy an electric pencil sharpener, and either a class set of individual whiteboards, or the Egg-spert thing. I moved from kindergarten to high school English, so I'm sure I'll be buying a lot of things this year! (But not as much as in kindergarten, when I bought snacks and treats and things all the time...)

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2009

I still need to buy an easel for my mini-lessons. I'm trying to see if I can ask my school for it.
    I also need to get some plants. I want a few real potted plants to brighten up the classroom.
    I also need to purchase some patriotic wall posters of U.S. symbols. I need to also find a set of all the presidents, 8x10 each.
    I'm still looking for a red or blue rug for my library too.
    Oh, and I need some poster tape.

7. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

We had a budget cut this year (I can't even remember how much I could spend...I thinking $200) 8 years ago I was able to spend $650, and all of it has to be spent at one time in the spring for fall delivery. So I took care of most of my needs that way. I always buy things out of my own pocket...I like to make things easier/nicer, etc. I could teach with just what the school provides, but I like my way better.

I've bought:
    * easel from Walmart & red paint to match the decor
    * some new learning games & puzzles (mostly dollar store)
    * learning charts (Dollar Tree)
    * fabric for window valances
    * teacher pens
    * colored paper for resource folders
    * USB drives (2)
    * resource book
    * prize box supplies
    * tablecloths, placemats, seat cushion to match decor
    * ladybug decorations
    * erasers, and other supplies

And it could be more...I still want to find a teacher store to find storage for my charts & posters, and BB materials.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2009

ZOEEEEEE!!!!!! This is pop-art, but...
    http://popartmachine.com/blog/pop-art-portraits-usa-presidents-washington-to-obama.html

I love these!

Are you doing an American theme?

Now for my post, I have purchased-
    • A rug and new pillows for my classroom library
    • Some books
    • Plastic bins to hold my books in my classroom library
    • A $5.00 table that I will be decoupaging
    • Random things from Goodwill

I acquired the rest, and my father will be constructing my easel after all. When he heard about the prices they ran for, he was appalled.

9. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 29, 2009

We get reinbursed about $200 each year. However, I have already spent more than that! I don't think I need to buy anything else, but here is what I've bought so-far:

-Caddies to hold scissors, etc. (I only had 1 last year & really needed more)
    - stickers & stamps for grading (I love these!)
    - decorations for my "patriotic" theme this year
    - alphabet wall letters (mine fell down last year, and fell behind the chalk board - I can't get to them!!)
    - incentive charts (for behavior)
    - cheap toys for my prize box (dollar store & Oriental trading)
    - alphabet magnets (for work stations)
    - sticky magnets for adhearing to things that need to go on the whiteboard
    - birthday awards & pencils
    - folders w/ prongs for each student (to hold calendar time stuff)
    - bean bags for games
    - candy for incentives
    - decorative computer paper for printing special things
    - cute dr. seuss "bags" as book "boxes" for each student

I'm sure I've bought more things too..I just can't remember! I pick things up when I find them really cheap! :)

10. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

We get about 250 to spend...we ordered our things in May, but it really doesn't go that far and we have to order from a certain catalog.)

The PTA reimburses us 100 dollars as well, we just have to save our receipts.
    So far I've bought:

-New magazine holders for individual students books (from really good stuff....like 80 bucks...my biggest purchase so far)
    -throw pillows for my reading corner
    -bulletin board letters
    -nameplates
    -glue
    -crayons
    -a cool colorful lamp