What are y'all doing working on this summer?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Emyly, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Emyly

Emyly Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

What do you teach and what are y'all up to?

We're on the traditional schedule-- start school in mid August and end in late May, so I'm on summer break.

I teach 9th grade English and 2 "Applied" classes for 9th-12th IEP'd students with 4-6th grade reading levels.

I recently reorganized the Applied class curriculums and have all new resources for use in those classes, so my main task is to plan for those classes, coming up with a general outline for the year and then zeroing in on first semester.

I am also (as I always do between school years) mulling over the "what worked" and "what didn't" from last year and coming up with new guidelines and strategies for next year. It seems like every year SOMETHING new comes up :rolleyes: So, along with the new stuff I will also be doing the normal pre-year planning (syllabi, rules, letters to parents etc)

I just returned from a workshop where we learned how to design classroom reading assessments that are aligned with our state standards and assessments and have lots of great information!

I've also got my webpage under construction again. . . .

What do you teach and what are y'all up to?

3. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jun 17, 2005

I teach Kindergarten and I'm looking forward to attending a week-long reading workshop, painting cubbies, making curtains, getting things organized and selling a bunch of stuff I'm not using. Then, I think I'll be focusing on curriculum and getting stations set up. Have a great summer! Your workshop sounds like it was interesting.

4. flowerfreak

flowerfreak Rookie

Jun 17, 2005

I teach 1st and 2nd grade. I just returned from a week at Disney World with my kids. It was awesome even tho it was cloudy and rained all week! I will be going to my mother's now to help her after her hip surgery. Then will work at school organizing things for next year, coming up with new ideas to use, since I have the same grade two years in a row I like to try and do different things each year. Will probably have a workshop on our Reading program....so glad I took a trip....the first in a looooong time, because the rest of the summer is going to be gone in no time!

5. mmeblue

mmeblue Rookie

Jun 18, 2005

Now that I've finished Vacation Bible School (whew!), I'm going to spend a lot of time this summer working on my lesson plans and hopefully improving them for next year. I'll have new texts for one of my classes next year, so I'll have to make some changes based on that. I'll also have a new class - not sure what exactly the curriculum will be for it yet, but once I find out I'll need to do some planning. My husband developed a database for me to store my lesson plans in, so I'm going to be inputting them into that over the summer as well.

And I'm going to work on my crafts. :)

6. Emyly

Emyly Rookie

Jun 18, 2005

My husband developed a database for me to store my lesson plans in, so I'm going to be inputting them into that over the summer as well.

Ooh! What's the database like?

7. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jun 18, 2005

I teach 1-6 music in my current position, band, choir, and 7th grade exploring music.
    I'm going to start reconstructing my band web page, and work on a few other small details like a new year long curriculum for music 1-6 (we had only done each for a semester, this coming year we switch to full year 40 minute classes, rather than the semester hour classes! I also lose my kindergarteners in the shuffle :()
    On a personal note I'm going to clean off the weight bench, hopefully tomorrow and get back into that starting Monday, and also hopefully start walking or Tae Bo back on Monday. Now that allergy season is over and I have no strict schedule except for a few days this summer, it's a perfect time to put it into my schedule them work around it when summer is over! (planning on weights in the am, followed by probably tae bo, or vice versa, and then maybe yoga which I love in the afternoon at least twice a week)

8. mmeblue

mmeblue Rookie

Jun 18, 2005

It's set up so that I can input all the info on a lesson plan - things like objectives, materials, prior knowledge requirements, process, assessment, my reflections on it, and a few more fields. The plans are stored within a general topic that's stored within the class (e.g. within the class "Civics," I have an "Introduction" topic, and a plan called "What is Civics?"). If I want to upload a handout, I can link to it in the materials section of the lesson plan. And it's nice and searchable and pretty. I have an awesome husband. :)

9. SarahLorax

SarahLorax Rookie

Jun 18, 2005

i just got my first full-time teaching job for next year, teaching 10th and possibly also 9th grade english... so my main focus this summer is getting ready for that. i'm hoping to meet with the two other english teachers over the summer to discuss curriculum.

i'm also in my last week at a school i was subbing for; although their year is over, they have a 3-week extended school year program, and i'm teaching pre-k through 6th grade drama in it. it's pretty fun--i don't have much experience with little ones in large quantities, so it's sort of a trial by fire. :)

10. mshutchinson

mshutchinson Comrade

Jun 20, 2005

I'm reorganizing. I struggled ALL YEAR with time and resource management. Next year, no late nights. I'm going to have all my lessons ready to go this summer.

I'm also going to decorate with easily changeable boards - so my room doesn't look the same All Year Long...

And I'm going to read all the stuff I printed and people gave me that I never found time to read this year....

9 weeks...hmm.. (I don't -think- I'm dreaming...but..am I??)

11. helpinghand

helpinghand Rookie

Jun 20, 2005

More database info

I would like to know more about the database your husband made for you. is there any way you could e-mail a template to me.

Thanks.
    georgia_atl_peach@yahoo.com

12. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jun 21, 2005

What do I teach? It keeps changing! I've been teaching 6th grade ELA for the past two years...not my cup of tea, I must admit! My principal is moving me back to 8th grade this fall. :D Of all the grades I've taught (6-9), 8th is my favorite.
    This summer, I'm keeping pretty busy. We have an enrichment program through a grant at our campus, so I'm doing that this month. When that's over, I'll start planning for August. I'll be getting both sections of pre-AP, since my partner doesn't want one. I'm ecstatic about that. I also have to move all my stuff from the 6th grade hall to the 8th grade hall. At the end of July, we're going to Daytona Beach for a week. Can't wait for that! :cool:
    We hit the ground running on August 4....providing the TX legislature comes up with a funding package. Gov. Perry vetoed the entire education budget over the weekend and called the leg. back for a special session starting today.

13. Emyly

Emyly Rookie

Jun 21, 2005

Val--

I know how the whole funding thing feels--- our Supreme Court ruled that the legislature has to go back to the drawing board as well and come up with twice as much $$ as it budgeted in regular session. Their special session starts tomorrow. Now there are protests going on saying the Supreme Court has no right to order the legislature around. . .

But, at least they are going to have to do their job right this time (I hope).

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2005

It's SUMMER- RELAX!!!

I teach 2nd and finish this Friday. I have started my pile of 'summer reading books', plan on knitting, spending time at the beach, getting on an exercise regimen, spending time with my family, vacation away in August, relaxing, refreshing, renewing!!

I will take one grad class for professional development credits and do some tutoring.

Take some time for yourself!! :cool:

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 21, 2005

Right now I am relaxing b/c school just ended last week. I will be working in a preschool classroom for 3 weeks in July as an aid. It is only for a half a day but it will keep me busy and earn some money.
    I am going to Foxwood's with my mom in 2 weeks which will be fun. I will be going to the Jersey shore and to Aruba. In Aug. I will be setting up my classroom and I will have a week long workshop that I have to go to!

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 21, 2005

Czacza, that is very good advice. AMK, those vacations sound wonderful. Sigh...... I am refinancing and having much-needed work done on my condo.

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 21, 2005

It works out so I only have to pay for 1 trip and that is to Aruba. My family forever has owned a house at the shore and 9 of us own it, it is nice, we all get a week but can go down whenever and we all bring friends. My cousins and I don't see much of each other during the year but the summer it is fun to catch up and go to the beach. The trip to Foxwood's was a present to my mom from my aunt and uncle, I am just tagging along:)
    We all know as teachers our salaries are not the greatest:) but def a great job.

18. carolinesmom18

carolinesmom18 Rookie

Jun 22, 2005

I just finally got a "real" job. I'm teaching 7th grade social studies and reading/language arts and 6th grade social studies. I'm trying to figure out what in the world I'm doing!!!! I'm teaching at a charter school and they are about to adopt a social studies text (I hope!) so as soo as they adopt that, I can get the text. For reading, they want it to be novel baesed, so I'm in the process of choosing the texts I want to use and reading them! I'm also trying to figure out my classroom management plan. We go back for 2 weeks of inservice on Aug 8 and school starts on Aug 22.

All of this while I'm caring for my dd and my niece (two 2-year olds!) Somehow I'll figure it all out!!

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 22, 2005

For lesson plans, summaries, quizzes, discussion topics on children's literature go to www.carolhurst.com
    You can look up any novel.

20. JulesW

JulesW Rookie

Jun 24, 2005

I'm doing the National Writing Project, it is so much fun and we are learning a lot! I'm also reading my head off!

21. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jun 25, 2005

I guess my plans will be changing now, since I got a new job yesterday! I'll be moving out of the school I've been in for the last 5 years and into the one DD attends. Changing from 8th grade ELA to 7th grade reading, so I have lots of planning to do, too!