What are things you would and wouldn't buy "used"?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Sep 27, 2010.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 27, 2010

I'll start :) I'm thinking about things at a thrift store....

Would buy:
    Certain clothing like tops- if it's in good condition and doesn't look dirty, etc.
    Music
    books

Wouldn't buy:
    Shoes - I used to when I was on my own but it was hard to find something comfortable and still looked "nice". They're usually picked over and worn in so I don't anymore.

Undergarments or swimsuits

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 27, 2010

Would not buy a used mattress... not telling what has been done on it.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 27, 2010

I personally never visit ANY kind of stores that specifically sell anything used, but that's just me. The only thing I've bought used on a regular basis are DVDs. Also, maybe books, but I don't seek out to buy them. If I happen to be at the library for another purpose & stumble upon some books they want to sell & I'm interested in some, then OK, but I haven't done that since I was a teen.

I've nev bought & worn used clothing of any kind & don't plan to. Same w/ a car.

5. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Sep 27, 2010

I love thrifting! I have bought almost every type of thing in used from a thrift store or craigslist. I will do wooden furniture (tables, desks, etc) but not things with cushions. Though, I have gotten a few beanbags from a thriftstore for my classroom (those got a heavy dose of Lysol spray when I got home!) I will do clothes, but not underwear. And I love love love to go thrifting for books, toys, DVDs, CDs, games, etc. for my classroom!

6. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Sep 27, 2010

Oh my goodness, you are totally missing out! I have found brand new designer clothing, never worn, with tags still attached at my local thrift store. I have also found brand new school supplies, holiday decorations, etc. still in the package! Lots of good deals to be had!

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2010

I bought maternity clothes at nice places... hated to spend all that money on clothes that weren't worn for too long!!!

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 27, 2010

This thread makes me think...this past weekend was our "Junk Jaunt". 300 miles of garage sales! They do this loop around several counties, going through many little towns. Vendors set up, they print this big book about them all...it's a thrifter's paradise!

BUT--these people are nuts! People will slam on their brakes, back up on the highway, turn around right in front of cars, cut people off...I had to wait for 15 minutes to back out of my in-laws' driveway because some people parked their uhaul across it! And they WOULD.NOT.MOVE!

9. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Sep 27, 2010

I buy lots of used books. So much cheaper and also a great way to get books that are out of print/hard to find in the library.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 27, 2010

Not to mention "greener"!

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 27, 2010

Woah, how dangerous. I'm glad they don't do anything that massive in my city. If so, I'd try to be out of town that weekend! :(

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 27, 2010

We have "Free Weekends" in my city a few times a year. It's advertised ahead of time that you can put anything you don't want anymore on your curb and it's deemed free to the public. People go around a find treasures for free all weekend! It's a great way to re-use!! It's also important to keep things you value off the yard that weekend, or you may lose it!

13. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2010

I take my kids into Goodwill for Halloween costumes and dress ups, and I have had great, unexpected luck while looking for their stuff. Just last week, found a brand new, in-package, Ralph Lauren dress shirt for my dh for $3. Really, how can you possibly beat that?

I would never buy: upholstered furniture, rugs, drapes, mattresses, shoes, bathing suits, undersgarments, baby bottles, breast pumps.

I would buy: most other clothing/coats (anything that can be washed or drycleaned), hard furniture that can be thoroughly cleaned, toys, books, DVDs, home goods that can be washed or cleaned, etc.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 27, 2010

I don't buy used shoes, bathing suits, or underwear. I have bought other used clothes. The "big city" has several really nice consignment stores. One only sells high-end merchandise.

I've bought bookshelves, chairs, and lots & lots of books. Sometimes I'll find jewelry or a handbag.

I've never had a used car, but my DH has been happy with his used Jeep.

My mom loves what she calls "junk stores". She finds all kinds of things. I only go when I've got extra time. I dont' shop at them regularly.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2010

EEEEEEWWWWW. People really sell used underwear? I'm gagging just a little bit.

With the rise in bedbugs, I'd stay away from anything upholstered.

16. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 27, 2010

I have bought a lot of "pre-owned" clothes, even at the nicest stores you don't know who has tried it on before you or even bought it and returned it. I buy a lot of things for my classroom in the way of books and educational toys. I just found a Hooked on Phonics set in perfect condition for $4.99! I have bought wood furniture used. I got a great deal on my son's solid oak bedroom suite at a yard sale.

I wouldn't buy a mattress, upholstred furniture, underwear or swimsuits.

17. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 27, 2010

That's an excellent point about "new clothes" being tried on before you get to them. When I was in Jr. High, I got a nasty case of "the itch" after wearing a pair of "brand-new pants" from the store for the first time. Now I NEVER wear anything "new" until it has been washed first.

I will buy shirts, pants, ties and coats used. I will buy used shoes as well, but it's hard to find ones that fit right.

I also buy used books, CDs, DVDs, video games and (sometimes) game systems and furniture. I've never bought a new car - always used.

18. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 27, 2010

the only thing I won't buy is underwear and swimsuits.

My daughter is the queen at shopping at these places! She bought every one of her high school formals second hand. I think the most expensive was last years prom dres and that was $18. Her last great find was right before leaving for college she found boots and paid only $5. When she got home she posted a pic on facebook and her friend said they bought them for $200.

19. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2010

My sister once got ringworm in multiple places in her body, and the only place they could trrace it to was the clothing in the shop she worked and had tried on recently. YUCK.

20. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 28, 2010

That's the danger of clothes in a retail store; you have no idea how many people have tried on that same blouse or pair of pants before you. While the clothes in a thrift shop are used, most of them aren't tried on by several people before they are bought. They were worn by the previous owner, of course, but that is just one person and a lot of people actually wash the clothes before taking them to drop off.

Even if they don't, the clothes are usually cheap enough to buy without trying on first, so you can bring it home and run it through the wash yourself before putting it on.

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2010

I'd never buy a bike helmet used. Bike helmets should be tossed after a crash-caused impact regardless of whether or not the helmet looks damaged. Many helmet makers have free crash replacement policies.

Bikes, on the other hand, are a very good deal used. Unlike cars, a bike doesn't have hidden problems that are undetectable even to a professional mechanic. Moreover, on older bikes, individual components are fairly cheap to replace. A bike, if take care of, will far outlast a car in terms of years. Also, nobody sells a car because they bought it 10 years ago and never got around to driving it. But people do that with bikes all the time.

An 80's or 90's steel mountain bike in really good condition can be had for about $150. A similar age and quality road bike for about $250. If the bike is an old road bike converted into a fixed gear, the seller might want $500 but the bike is only worth about $200. Feel free to laugh at the person and post sarcastic messages about him on Craigslist.

Basically, with a bike, you want to check that all the parts spin and turn easily in the directions they are supposed to spin and turn and are not loose or wobble in directions they are not supposed to move. You also want to move the seat up and down to make sure it's not fused to the frame (the one deal breaker for me when I get an old bike). The same for the handlebars if it's and older bike with a threaded fork.

Remove the wheels. Make sure the hubs spin easily and are not loose. Drop the chain make sure the cranks spin easily and do not wobble side to side. Turn the bars and make sure they move easily and shake them to make sure they are not loose.

The bike, of course, should shift and brake easily. Keep in mind, however, that most shifting and braking problems in a bike can be fixed by getting new cables and housings.

One thing with used bikes is making sure it's not stolen. There are a couple ways to check.

All bikes have a serial number underneath the bottom bracket. (frame, just inside the "front gears.") To find the serial number, imagine you are checking to see if the bike is a boy or a girl.

If the seller doesn't seem to know exactly what type of bike it is in the Craigslist ad, that's a big red flag. If they call a high-end road bike a "street bike" or refer to a mountain bike as a "dirt bike" I generally ignore the ad.

Another big one is any bike that's missing one wheel, especially the front. Bikes are often stolen when someone only locks one wheel. Both wheels should match unless the bike is a fixed gear conversion. And if the bike is a fixed gear conversion and the seller is not a hipster wearing skinny jeans and white belt, be careful.

22. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 28, 2010

Buy used:
    DVDs
    Car
    Books

Not buy used:
    Most electronics

There's tons of other things I'm sure I'm not even thinking about...but those are the things that come to mind.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 28, 2010

I don't recall ever being in a used clothing store in my life...actually, I was once to try to sell my stuff, but a few of you mentioned that you wouldn't buy used underwear. Eeek! I didn't think stores would go that far. That's a disgrace that they do that, even if it is bras & not actual panties! :eek:

24. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 28, 2010

We buy tons of books and dvds at the local thrift stores. We also get really great deals on clothes. I also won't buy any undergarments or furniture with cushions (have you heard of the bed bug epidemic?!?!?), or shoes. I get lots of my kids clothes at thrift stores and lots of my work clothes too. We have learned which ones are worth stopping at and which ones aren't. My best trip was a thrift store in a college town right after school got out for the summer. The college kids would rather haul their stuff to the thrift store than pack it up and take it home. I got two Ann Taylor suits, two jackets, a GAP skirt, and several blouses for $27. The suits retailed for almost $200 each.
    I also get lots of supplies for my classroom. I get artificial flowers for flower arranging, notebooks, reference books, and items that we use when we are doing team building.

25. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 28, 2010

Used books are great! :)

I am pondering buying some nice "preowned" things for baby boy at a baby consignment store nearby.

We shall see!