what are these things?/help tonight please!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissFroggy, Oct 18, 2007.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 18, 2007

I want my students to do an art project tomorrow and I want it connected to our word study. Our read aloud has lots of graphics in the text (Clarice Bean Spels Trouble) and one is the word EGGPLANT written with the "egg" part inside a silhouette of an egg, and the "plant" part looks like a stem.

I know there is a name for this, but what is it? I'm thinking maybe other examples would be Tigerlilly made with a tiger and a lilly, or boombox with an explosion and a box, or teapot with a big T and a pot... what are these called?? Any examples on line?

(FYI- I observed twice now and BOTH times a comment for improvement was that too much teacher/store bought stuff on walls! Most years we begin with tons of art, but some how things are moving SO slow in my class this year... bah. I need something to put up ASAP and thought it would be cool to put these on the walls.)

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 18, 2007

Oh yeah, sometimes they have them in the word puzzle section of the newspaper...

4. srh

srh Devotee

Oct 18, 2007

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 18, 2007

It's called a Rebus, if I remember correctly...

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 18, 2007

YES! Thank you both!

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2007

graphic organizers?? :confused:

I know the physical way to describe a word is called

Total Physical Response = TPR

kids get up and act out a word..

keep searching internet...if it exists, you can google it!

8. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2007

I thought a rebus is when there would be a picture of an egg instead of the word. Miss froggy said the word is written in the shape.

I'm not sure but I think when one of my elem. teachers did these with us she said it was "concrete poetry" or something like that.

I think rebuses are a great idea, too -- probably easier for the kids to do than to actually write the word in the shape. Maybe show them both and give a choice.

9. srh

srh Devotee

Oct 19, 2007

Check out the website I posted earlier. "Rebus" puzzles are very broad! There are some excellent activities shown there.

10. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2007

I remember doing these for my foundations of graphic design class... one of the most valuable and fun exercises. :)

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 19, 2007

I didn't actually teach rebus'. They were sort of what I wanted. I think it was more like the graphic design idea.

Here is what we did:

We made four small pictures, all having to do with one another. I gave them a page with different kinds of lettering (bubble, loopy, block, etc) They drew a picture of each thing on a small square piece of paper. We went over them sharpie, and will then watercolor them (with complimentary colors for the word art and the background.) It should look very "pop art" We will mount all four together on a black piece of paper.

Here is some of what was done:

Water, towel, sand dollar and sea weed (water written in cursive and looked like waves, for example)

dog, dog food, bowl and leash. (leash again written in cursive but very "loose" the words "dog food" spelled out in the dog bowl. Dog made with O as the head and d and g as ears.)

They did other themes: soccer, Christmas, baseball, horses, etc.

Anyway, I'm still not sure exactly what these are... oh well!