What are the Top Items You Bring?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 23, 2010

Hey guys, I plan to return to subbing for general ed classes gr K-3. I haven't subbed in gen ed classes in ages.

I know we had a thread on this, but what are the top 3-5 items you bring on your sub assignments to help mk your day go smoother (whether it be extra worksheets, etc.)?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2010

A read aloud might be nice. Most teachers in my district leave more than enough to do...I always leave a 'need more?' folder on my desk as well. I wouldn't take worksheets-you have no way of knowing the 'readiness' of the students in classes you will be in and you won't know what content has been covered/not covered yet. It's generally best to 'stick to the plan' that's been left for you.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 23, 2010

I agree about the worksheets, but in the past when I used to sub gen ed, I'd bring word searches...just something easy they can do on their own for time killing purposes if I happen to have extra time to kill before they dismiss, etc.

5. New_Teacher003

New_Teacher003 Rookie

Oct 24, 2010

- read aloud book(s): I've even found some with easy lesson plans to go with them. Almost like a guided reading lesson plan with questions to ask, and simple activities to do after reading the book.

- fun math game or LA game: I found these in a Scholastic book, and I just photocopy a lot of them, and all I need is dice. The game is usually easy to differentiate, and the kids love it as a reward if they get their work done.

- reward certificates and mini pylons: I use these as incentives when I supply. I give out certicates for good work and helping hands, and then the pylons the students don't keep, but I put them on the desk of a quiet, hard-working student. I then tell the class that if they need to see what it should look like to be working quietly, they can look at so-and-so.

I try to bring more than I know I'll need, but I've heard some say that a first-aid kit is great to bring along. I personally just try to get to the school early enough, that I know where those sorts of things are. That way you look smart to the students, even when you don't completely feel at-home in the school yet. :D

6. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Oct 24, 2010

I don't bring much at all. Just the basics, post its, stapler, sanitizer, scissors, camera, pencils and pens to write with, paper clips, and notebook for my documentation.

Expo markers are a must that I always forget. Most classes have horrible markers and I can barely write on the board.

Other than that, I pull books from the classroom library if I need to read something, which is very rare. If they need extra work, I pull off the top off my head and come up with a bunch of extras for them to do if needed. Usually writing and illustration assignments related to what they just worked on...

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 24, 2010

Advil :)

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2010

Thanks guys. So far, I have various levels of Halloween word searches for this wk...then, my printer got an error message I've never seen & I can't get it to print anything else. :mad:

9. love2help

love2help Rookie

Oct 24, 2010

How about bringing a file cabinet on wheels.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2010

love2help, I might have to! :haha:

11. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Oct 25, 2010

Lots of water (or a refillable cup with lid), stickers, pen, sticky notes, maybe a read aloud if I know the class. Advil and/or allergy pills can always make a rough day better, as does a can or two of soda.

12. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Oct 25, 2010

All I ever bring are writing utensils and paper. You'd be amazed at how hard it can be to find extra paper to jot down a note to the teacher about the day or a pen/pencil suitable to your liking.

Your own stickers or other small reward is also a good idea, as it also allows students to associate you with something positive and perhaps even unique. When I was in elementary, there was a school sub who gave well-behaved students each a FULL-SIZED candy bar at the end of the day. We remembered and liked her! (She was also just a very good teacher in general.) I'm not saying to do an incentive such as that, but like I said, I remembered her and definitely behaved when she subbed. :D

13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 25, 2010

My Kindle. :thumb:

14. Pookie

Pookie Rookie

Oct 25, 2010

I just bring a pen and a few pencils. I don't like carrying a lot of things around with me, but I hate loaning out the teachers pencils. If I ever do loan out a teachers supply i hold on to the students backpack so that i can make sure they don't forget to give it back to me.
    Look up activities to do without supplies. If the class i am subbing for can write, I just give them an assignment like write a story using all their spelling words, and then illustrate it. Students love to draw, so having them illustrate a story makes it Language arts and easier to explain to anyone that questions it as being academically important. If they are too young, I will read them a story from the teachers collection and have them draw a picture of their favorite part or I pick a part of the story that wasn't illustrated for them to draw. My teachers always give me plenty of stuff to do so I rarely have free time and when I do I just add on to something they are already working on.

15. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 26, 2010

All I ever bring is my purse/lunch...thats for me...The teacher should have everything you need for the students if no lesson is left..I grab a student book of math,lang. ,etc. and make a lesson by having them do pages out of the very back that I know are review and/or things they can do. Oh, and grabbing a soda is always nice!! If you need help pulling a day's work together for whatever reason ask another teacher near by!!

16. Pookie

Pookie Rookie

Oct 26, 2010

That is very true, so I just write my note on the back of her lesson plans. I write little notes in the margins about each activity the summarize the day on the back. I have had times when I couldn't find paper and had to barrow from a student.

17. pjlmom

pjlmom Rookie

Oct 27, 2010

5 things to bring

elementary
    * mad libs
    * sub report for teacher ( I write the seating chart on back)
    * Treats and tickets for good behavior
    * pencils
    * whistle for recess

High school
    * sub report and sheet for hall passes ( has name ,where they went, time left and time returned)
    * sudoku puzzles and riddles/ candy for winners
    * pencils
    * reading book for me ( for planning period and lunch time)
    * referrals

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2010

Do you really have time for 'free reading' while subbing?