what are the "silly" things you and your SO argue over?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jul 25, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

Today, I asked to keep the windows down for a few minutes while the air conditioner started to help get the heat out of the car. I really :dizzy: don't like it when I'm in a hot car with the windows up! My husband thought we should have the windows up so the car can get cooler which only made me mad since I know that and wanted the windows down just a few minutes, he didn't. He has control when he's driving since he is close to the other window buttons!! So tonight, I decided to drive to our friends' house and I liked that a lot since I could make the decision! I am trying to work on compromising with him but it's hard when the other person doesn't see it the same way you do and will compromise too!

Thank goodness we are just mad for short moments at a time and not for days on end.

I guess that's just a part of being married- sometimes you aren't able to compromise!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2009

We fuss about light pretty frequently. I like the back door's interior blinds to be open during the day...he doesn't. At night I like the rooms being dim, but during the day, especially when I'm trying to get some things accomplished...let there be light!!!

Little things like that. :)

4. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jul 26, 2009

We just had thus discussion again tonight! you'd think after 32 years of marriage he'd learn, but no, he's a male. Okay what was our discussion about? My packing ability or as he might call it my inability to pack. Okay so I plan for lots of events but he should have learned by now.

5. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

One thing we often argue over is that my wife likes to listen to music at an incredibly loud volume since she likes to feel the vibrations. I can understand this, but unfortunately, I have very sensitive hearing. As a compromise I ask her to try to do this when I have the option to go for a walk. But sometimes she wants to listen to her loud music anyway!

Luckily we don't hold grudges and are usually fine a few minutes later, if not, within the hour. :)

6. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

Room temperature. My husband HAAAATES being warm and insists that the AC (we live in a really old building and have a window unit) is set at the coldest temperature. I always lose this "battle" because it's easier for a cold person to warm up than vice versa. :p

Of course, during the day when he's at work I'll sometimes change the temperature. :whistle: (Right before he comes home I change it back.)

7. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jul 26, 2009

We fought over me rolling the window down in our car one night...because I was trying to hear something outside. That was as ridiculous as it gets for sure! But we also fight over having the blinds open he is such a privacy freak!

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 26, 2009

My husband is very picky. We will argue over something not being in the right place. Like peanut butter on the wrong shelf.

Christmas lights. We argue over those too, every year.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 26, 2009

Where to go out to eat - mostly of the "I don't care you pick", "No, I told you to pick" kind. The problem being that I could eat Mexican food every night and my DH wants more variety.

10. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jul 26, 2009

I could eat mexican every night too!

11. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

We usually argue before leaving the flat, Dh is always forgetting where he leaves his belongings, I mean - the club id, the tennis id, the credit card, the driving license, etc, etc , and a long list of etc......
    So my daughters and I are ready TO GOOOOOO and he is inside the flat trying to FIND something he needs ,
    as the routine is every saturday and Sunday, sometimes we wait for him downstairs, so we don´t see all the ATTACK, he seems to get very nervous when these situations happen, BUT IT´S HIS FAULT, of course.
    I take care of my wallet, all my personal things, so I guess he must do the same...

12. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

My beautiful wife and I both have a Masters in History. This will sound strange, but we sit around the house and have historical "discussions" that probably sound like arguing. Other than that, we are a lot alike so there isn't much else that we disagree on. (Except who started the Civil War. She is from "up North" and I'm a native Texan...)

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 26, 2009

Ironically I've only been to a deaf dancing party once. It was for the students and I was required to stay. When I left I was so nauseous from the experience even though I had my hearing aid OFF and virtually no hearing. I couldn't have tolerated it with my hearing aids much less with full hearing. I'm funny about music though. It takes practice for me to hear something. I practice it with the words in front of me. That was fine when I was a teenager but now that I am a busy adult, I just don't take the time for that. Listening to the radio is just racket. It makes no sense because I can't differentiate the words without practicing. I think that's why I like American Idol so much. I get to "hear it" with the captions on. That's my one time of the year to get some music exposure. Otherwise I ask everyone to keep it off when they are around me. If they must, make the radio low enough that I can't hear it. The one thing I don't mind listening to is children's music but again I should know the words. They are easier to learn though. :D

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 26, 2009

I am like your husband. I am so absent-minded that I can't remember where I put things. I try to develop habits so the things get put in the same places each and every time. That doesn't always work. One thing I've noticed though is when I'm trying to develop the habit, I must work WITH my tendencies and not against them even if that's not the prettiest place to put them. What will I most likely do when I get home? That's my starting point. Another thing I've noticed is I am much better off spending 10 minutes at night getting my stuff together and putting it on my desk chair. If I put it anywhere else including on my desk right in front of my chair, I'm lost. If I wait until the next morning, my brain is rushed and stressed and I don't find things as easily. I've only really begun this habit for the past year and a half. On the days I don't do this, I notice a big difference in how my morning functions. I refused to do it before because I'm too tired at night. That was always my excuse but boy am I glad I changed this habit.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2009

Oh, that is a constant battle as well. How could I forget? My husband isn't picky at all, while there are very few places I like to eat at. But I don't like to choose where to eat. I'd rather him give me three choices and I choose from those. It drives him insane. He gets mad about it. He'll pull over in a parking lot until I decide. I know, I know...I should just pick a place, but I can't! :)

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 26, 2009

The DISHES! He'll leave them everywhere, even on the couch (I found my diabetic cat licking up the remnants of his cinnamon roll last week). Heck, I've found his coffee cups in the SHOWER! I'm so glad our new house has a dishwasher. Maybe I can train him to start throwing plates and glasses in there.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2009

Nothing much really, except maybe that he doesn't understand how I can watch some of the reality shows that I watch & he can't stand them. But I wouldn't say we argue about it. :)

18. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

Me too. And that was the first and last deaf dance party for me! :lol: If I go to a Deaf event now, there has to not be any music!

It makes sense you have to consciously listen for the words since your brain hasn't had nearly as much exposure to interpreting auditory information. If I gained some sight, I would have to literally learn how to see as well. It makes us realize just how much of perception is in the brain and not in the organs receiving the information.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 26, 2009

Not to mention I'm missing a bunch of frequencies so I have to fill in the blanks a little. :D

20. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

Oh dear. My wife is terrible about leaving dishes lying around everywhere too.

Coffee cups in the shower? :toofunny:

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 26, 2009

Now that's a way to start your morning! I've never thought of relaxing in the shower quite like that! Really I am a bath person. I just recently within the last year begrudgingly decided to take showers because I wanted the extra sleep. Baths are all the luxury. Now your wife has me rethinking that theory. Apparently showers are totally relaxing for her. :)

22. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

If you need help deciding where to go eat, take some coupons, put them in a baggie and draw one out!

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 26, 2009

Thankfully, they're the little espresso cups so it isn't like I find huge mugs in the bathroom. Still, it's a weird find every now and then.

24. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

It happens the same here,
    we also argue cause of who is in charge of the remote control when we are in bed, he wants it every single night and I want it too, of course.
    We like different types of programs, he loves sports and I like reality shows, he likes action films and I love comedies, and so on... :mellow:

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 26, 2009

If you don't already have a DVR, get a TIVO box. Seriously!

26. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

CUTNGLUE,
    I´m sorry What´s a TIVO box??

27. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jul 26, 2009

We've never had a TV in the bedroom. I wonder if that's normal?

28. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

Dallas Teacher , Here it´s quite common, it´s normal.

29. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

I heard and I believe that it's not as romantic to have a tv in the bedroom! It can be distracting from other things :whistle:
    Also, if you watch a tv or use the computer late at night, it can affect your sleep since it's harder to fall asleep with the light! I read that somewhere...

30. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 26, 2009

It's a DVR. It records shows for you while you are gone. You don't need tapes like you would a vcr. The TIVO programming, however, is what sets it apart from other DVR. It is intuitive and starts recording suggestions based on the type of shows you say you like (either because you record them or because you push the thumbs up or thumbs down button on the remote). You can pause live tv (for up to 30 min). You can fast forward through commercials (for the shows you've recorded). You can search for shows by type (comedy, etc), keywords (such as cruises, christmas, etc), by actors or directors, by channel, or by title search. It also now has a swivel feature where if you like Murder She Wrote, it will give you the cast names, a brief description of the show (with pictures) and then you select something that says "if you like this show you'll like..." and it will give you similar shows or you can find out what else Jessica Landbury plays in. I mean the thing is SMART but it is so smartly designed that I feel it is one of the easiest DVRs to operate. So the bottom line is you and your SO do not have to fight over shows anymore. Just record them and watch them when you have the chance. Mine records two shows at a time. It also has a priority list so in case 3 shows are on at the same time it will tell you when you program the new show that there is a problem and let you decide which show has the priority. The tivo "suggestion" shows are never the priority. Yours are. I love it. It was really the best present my husband has ever gotten me and it sounds so unromantic but it has literally changed our viewing habits. I don't miss a show and I'm not a slave to the tv at a predetermined time. We don't fight over shows anymore ever.

www.tivo.com

31. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

UGh. DF has to have the A/C set to 65. He's comfy; I'm freezing my butt off; the electric bill was astronomical. And then he'd wonder why I would wear 3 layers of clothes to bed each night. I told him we live in the wrong state and if that's the temp he likes, we need to move. Stat.

:blush: Guilty.

32. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

We argued once over whether or not our boys should go to a Hooters restaurant! But my husband is getting ready to deploy for his 4th time, so I just don't argue. I don't want him to leave and then I'd think "if only I hadn't gotten upset about the....) I want to remember every moment in a positive light.

33. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Jul 27, 2009

After 25 years, I've learned that most things just aren't worth arguing over. And my husband really is my better half - he's awesome.

That being said, he drives me insane by taking these "shortcuts" that involve going way around just to avoid two red lights or that involve having to cross a 4 lane highway with only a stop sign. He has one in particular (on the way to Starbucks) and we have the same conversation every time. I'll say "this isn't shorter and you have to wait to cross the highway here," then he'll say "It's usually not this bad and I don't want to get caught up at that feeder road intersection." Then I'll end with "You scare me to death. I wouldn't get out of the electric chair to ride with you." It's like a script. My kids just crack up every time, and it's funny because my son agrees with my husband, but my daughter agrees with me.

34. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

We are moving in with each other this month... so nothing yet, but I can guess....

The thermostat, how we spend our money, and who cleans up are likely to be topics...

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2009

Oh, I so tempted to hijack this post. :)

36. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

We don't have a TV in the bedroom either.

37. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

I agree. Coffee in the shower? Wouldn't the kitchen or living room be a more likely place to have coffee? :lol:

38. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 27, 2009

We have an "argument" that has been going on for nearly 4 years. He likes to stick outgoing mail into the mailbox for the postman to pick up. I insist on dropping it in a mailbox. I figure the mailman is juggling a lot of mail, he or she might misplace ours.

39. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

Well, it seems like a good idea when you're running late and not awake yet but have to jump in the shower right now or else be late and smelly!

40. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

41. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2009

Ok, I ran this by my DH, the mailman. His main concern with people putting mail outside for him to pick up was not that the mail would be lost. His concern was that crooks wander around looking for mail to be picked up so they can commit identity theft. He said your mail is much more secure if you put it in a mailbox.