What are the reasons for inviting all of the educators but one to a party

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futureteach24, Jul 22, 2013.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Jul 22, 2013

Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever done this to someone else? Why?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

Never happened to me...would never do this to someone.:(

So what's the backstory?

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 22, 2013

We have "teacher parties" at my school and only teachers are invited. We have them at our houses and we provide the food/drinks. It is planned outside of school hours.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 22, 2013

Either someone made a HUGE faux pas, or there are some "mean girl" types at that school.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

Like czacza, I'm also wondering about the backstory here.

Unfortunately, just because people work together doesn't mean that they want to socialize with each other. Sometimes there are people at work who just don't fit into the group in a social, after-hours sense. It's rude that the party was advertised in such a way that the non-invitee was made aware of it; that shouldn't have happened. Even so, it's probably best just to move on and find a different set of friends.

7. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

That's really quite ugly IMO. If I were having a party large enough to accommodate all of the educators at my school, I'd invite everyone even if I didn't like them. Inviting every person but 1 is extremely distasteful and mean. Now, I would have parties and invite a handful of teachers and leave the majority uninvited, but never all but one or two.

8. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Jul 22, 2013

That sounds awful. I understand having a get-together and just inviting 4-5 people (in your department, etc.), but not everyone but one person. Unless, of course, the host/hostess simply forgot, the invitation was lost, or some other "accidental" reason. Ugh.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

I would never invite all of my grade level minus one person. Having said that, I might invite all of my grade level and not the other grade levels just because that would be too many. We teach our students to always include, not exclude, and I think adults should play by those rules as well.

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2013

I don't think many people would.

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 23, 2013

Rudeness? And if you think it might not happen, think again. How many times have you seen children exclude others from parties? Where do they learn that behavior? In my book, it is inexcusable.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 23, 2013

I can't answer this without some sort of context. Can you elaborate? On the surface it does seem rude but I can't say since I don't know the whole story.

13. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Jul 23, 2013

background info

All the other educators got an email invite but me. Others were asking me was I going and I said I didn't know what they were talking about. They told me about the gathering and I told them I hadn't heard anything. The lady (whom I don't know) sent out the invitations for the anothee educator's party (whom I do know). They thought it was just an oversight since I don't know the person that sent out the invitations. They gave me date, time, and a little info about the venue. I don't believe I've ever done anything wrong to this woman. I am not going, however, because I feel like it would be wrong/rude since I was not invited.

14. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 23, 2013

With emailing many things can go wrong (for example, a typo in the email address, etc.) or perhaps it WAS an oversight. I can't imagine a person who is a stranger to you would see your name and think, "Okay, well I'm definitely not inviting that ONE person to the party." The reasoning escapes me; no logic in it.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 23, 2013

I'm thinking it was an oversight, or a typo, as well. You should call the person whose party it is and clear it up, or just go to the event. If someone else is doing the inviting, is it a birthday celebration or a shower of some sort? Is it a school function?

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2013

Based on this additional info, it just sounds like a mistake. Don't fret. Go and enjoy yourself.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 23, 2013

That's a rough place. I was not invited to a big party just two weeks ago. Turned out the host and hostess each thought the other had contacted me. Still miffed, but not as much.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 23, 2013

It was probably an oversight. Someone thought they had included me in an email but spelled my name wrong so when i didn't show up for a meeting they called and we figured out what happened. Don't read too much into it but if you want to go then ask the person about it.