What are the pay scales/benefits for teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by passion2teach, Aug 29, 2004.

1. passion2teach

passion2teach Rookie

Aug 29, 2004

I currently live in Canada, but will be moving next year to Florida (probably Miami) after I get married :love: I have NO idea what the pay is for techers. This is the knowledge I need in order to choose what I want to teach. I presently teach children with disabilities here in Canada, but will be going back to school in Florida, either for my Florida teacher certification, Montessori certificate, I'm not too sure. Part of this decision will be based on the different pay scales and benefits of teachers. The system in the U.S. is compleletly different from that of Canada's system, so I get kind of confused :p So if anyone could explain the pay scale and possibly the benefits of elementary, Montessori, and day care teachers, that would be FANTASTIC!!! Thank you so much for your help! You are helping me make a crucial decision in my life! :)

3. AndreaIL

AndreaIL Rookie

Aug 29, 2004

I can't speak for elementary or Montessori, but I worked several summers at a daycare, as a teacher, and also went back after I had my degree but before I found a job in the middle school where I presently teach.

Every daycare is different, I suppose, but the one where I worked (a large, nationwide chain of daycare centers) had two different classifications: teachers, and teachers' aides. I was "teacher qualified" the entire time I was there, and I made slightly more than I could have at the mall. I make nearly double now, and my school doesn't pay particularly well, either.

Personally speaking, I am much happier in the school setting than the daycare setting. Because daycare centers don't pay as well as regular schools do, they have a hard time attracting and keeping qualified people. Many times, people who are not certified become "teachers" just because the director has no other options. I saw many employees who were young girls with children of their own, working there only for the free daycare, not because they care about the children. People who should have been fired were allowed to stay because there was no one to replace them, and the state requires a certain adult-child ratio. There were a couple of women who made early child care their careers, and they were really good, but generally speaking, there is a high employee turnover, and little consistency for the staff or the kids. Finally, many parents are looking for someone to watch their kids while they work, and the school part is just a bonus. Those parents tend to treat you as a babysitter, not a teacher, qualified or not. Where I live, very few daycare centers are recognized by the state as "schools," and are not even allowed to have a teacher's desk in the room.

That, of course, is my own personal experience. I know it may not be the case in ALL daycare centers, and some people will probably respond that their center is not like that. :) Of my three summers at a daycare center, one was as a floater, so I visited 25+ centers over the course of the summer, and that was what I myself experienced. I don't know if that helps you at all, but if nothing else, if you decide to go to a daycare center, that's what to watch out for when you're job hunting.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2004

Well, I guess you just ripped my heart out, Andrea.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 30, 2004

Florida
    Daycare - minimum wage or slightly better ($6/hr)
    Private elementary - often very low ($20,000 - $30,000) and slim benefits
    Charter schools (private schools operated with state money) - usually same as public school district wages and benefits
    Public schools - wages differ by school district, south Florida higher pay than north, (starting about $32,000) with benefits partially paid for by the districts; wage stipend for master's degrees

6. AndreaIL

AndreaIL Rookie

Aug 30, 2004

I meant no offense by what I said, Grammy Teacher. As I put in my post, I know that not all daycare centers are like the ones I experienced, nor are all teachers at daycare centers uncaring when it comes to the children. Seeing your various posts on this forum, it's obvious you clearly care about the children you teach and do your work with a real zeal and passion.

I was trying to make the point that some centers consider their staff babysitters first, and teachers second, if at all. Likewise, some parents adopt this same attitude, and it's difficult to really teach in such an environment. I know all places are not like that, but I have seen many that are, and I was simply answering the original post and advising passion2teach that if she does decide to seek employment in a daycare facility, to avoid places like the ones I described.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2004

In our area, many school districts works WITH the private daycares and many times the teachers working in the daycares have 4 year degrees, but prefer teaching in the daycare setting where it is more "family"-like. We get extremely close to the children in our care and get to know their families very well. I began subbing in the public school district and didn't like the "politics" there. I chose the daycare setting because I like the "atmosphere" better... it is quite informal and very home-like. It is the children's home away from home. Teaching is very personlized and I like that for children of such a young age. Do you have the opportunity to rock any of the children in your care to sleep? What tender moments we have! In regard to wages...we are paid according to experience and job performance and I can assure you, it is much better than minimum wage. What we as "dumb old daycare teachers " need, is for you and everyone else in the field of education , is to show us respect and maybe then in turn the parents will too.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2004

I have worked in both a daycare & as a kindergarten teacher. I agree with what Andrea said. Daycare teachers tend to be low paid & don't get a lot of respect. Employee turnover is high. I was offered a position as an assist. director in a national chain making between $7-9/hr., plus I paid 50% of my son's tuition. I took a position in a small, homelike daycare & made $12-14/hr. Pay varies greatly. I couldn't stand the lack of respect, couldn't stand being viewed as a babysitter, so I would point out to parents my education. I left that position, with no further training to become a kindergarten teacher. I now make 2x's as much as I did before, plus I have full benefits.
    I don't get to rock children asleep, but I still find ways to connect with my children.
    Grammy, I have done your job & I respect you.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2004

Let's face it, it's all about the money. There are many teachers in the schools who get no respect ... and there are parents who come to us in the daycares and tell us that we do far more for children than many school teachers. It appears to be the same on both sides so don't assume that just because you have a "diploma" you automatically have the respect you're looking for. We all have to earn that...so I encourage anyone to think about that before becoming a teacher in any capacity.

10. AndreaIL

AndreaIL Rookie

Aug 30, 2004

No one called you dumb, and if you had read my last post, I said it was obvious that you care greatly about your children. Likewise, no one said they didn't respect you. I was merely reporting what I personally had experienced as a daycare teacher. I stated multiple times that I am aware that my experience isn't indicitive of all centers.

There is no need to become so upset-- no one was attacking you. If you feel you aren't respected within the field of education, I'm sorry, but the disrespect isn't coming from me or anyone else on this post. If you take everything so personally, maybe that's the reason you feel so persecuted by the education community.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2004

This is my profession and my life at this point...and I do take it personally because it's what I'm all about. This is a very touchy subject with daycare teachers...and we need your support. It's a shame that you had such a terrible experience while working in daycares. The original question on this post seemed to be about the payscales and I think it would be good to stick to the point...as Upsadaisy did...the payscale...we have to pay the bills.

12. Jaima

Jaima Guest

Sep 1, 2004

Teacher

I am hoping for changes in smaller schools. Our elementary school has made few changes in the past five years. Our pay scale is almost $10,000 behind other local districts.

13. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2004

I work in a Catholic school and the pay scale there (an in many others) is way behind what the public disitrics pay. the pay here starts low and stays that way, there is not much room for growth.

You will find that different districts, counites and states pay their teachers differently. From my experine (w public school pay scales) the wealther the district, the better the pay,.....

14. m1ckeymouse

m1ckeymouse Rookie

Sep 3, 2004

I have a birth-3rd grade Early Childhood Degree and could be teaching preschool, but I have to admit that when I looked into it the money turned me away from preschool. That is not to say that someday I may not end up there. Now I work in one of the lowest paid districts in Ohio and have worked there for four years. It is not always about the money. I like my job, even though I am getting paid less than most teachers who are doing the same thing I am doing. I could get another job in another district but that does not ensure happiness. You need to consider other factors besides just money. At least that is my personal opinion. If we would have wanted to become rich, I don't believe we would have become teachers in the first place. I have a birth-3rd grade Early Childhood Degree and could be teaching preschool, but I have to admit that when I looked into it the money turned me away from preschool.

15. passion2teach

passion2teach Rookie

Sep 4, 2004

Thank you for all the input

:) I want to thank all of you for your input. You have answered even more of the questions I had (such as the whole Catholic school thing). m1ckeymouse is right by saying that the money won't ensure your happiness. Anything in teaching will make me happy, as long as I am teaching the young ones!
    I am surprised at the level of pay for daycares, though. Here in Canada, while I was still in university, I worked as an assistant in a daycare (no ECE degree or anything) and was making $12.00 and hour (I guess $10.00 US). Sometimes we did get that whole "babysitter" things from parents, but for the most part I found that they were supportive. I found that the kids themselves made me feel respected, not the parents. Because at the end of the day, they thanked ME for teaching them how to tie their shoe, or write their name. I get to be the one to teach them that milestone, and that makes the job the best job in the world. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Anyways, thank you for your posts! If anyone has any information on Montessori teachers, that would also be of great help! Thanks!! :love:

passion2teach

ps: I must say I'm a little nervous moving to Miami with all these hurricanes causing so much grief

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2004

Wishing you the best in your love of teaching...I work in a daycare and love my job...you are right, it's not always about the money. If it were, some of us could work in a factory and make more than we make now. I love our centers atmosphere as well. If you do decide to work in a daycare setting, I hope you find one as supportive as where I work. We have big rooms furnished with everything you can possibly think of...we have a room full of art supplies and a room full of toys and games to choose from. Every thing is furnished and we are allowed a certain amount of money each month for anything else we need to buy. We are given raises, bonuses, generous Christmas gifts, birthdays, vacations and sick time...etc. in a very relaxed setting. The best to you...