What are the non-education jobs you've had...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Nov 3, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 3, 2009

and what did you like/dislike about each one as a job itself, not necessarily the people you worked with :)

Today's Oprah show has a few famous women and they're showing what it was like for their first job so I decided to start on a thread on it because maybe it'll help someone out with ideas!

I've been a receptionist at a country club (and got to see paperwork showing how much people were paying just to play golf there! Wow! :eek: I liked the food there and how it wasn't too busy of a job.

My other jobs have included: nanny, waitress, hostess, fast food, Christian music/book store, and seasonal retail jobs like Hickory Farms.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 3, 2009

Well, other than a fast food job, a few retail stores, & a secretarial job since I was 18, I was a senior account manager for Citigroup for 8 yrs.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2009

Most of mine have been restaurant related: busgirl, waitress, hostess.

I've also done a decent amount of freelance writing.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2009

I held a food service position in high school and also worked at a grocery. When I began college I worked at WalMart for a bit before going back to the same grocery at the end of year. I've always said I would be happy still working at the grocery...I enjoy small stores and I love cash registers. Anyway, for the majority of my time in college I worked for my home school district as what was basically an instructional assistant and I subbed as well.

Throughout high school, just because working thirty-eight hours a week and going to school wasn't enough, I volunteered at our local nursing home. At some point I decided to work there as an aid, for all of a few days. I loved the position and the residents, but the other employees were...crazy. I also found the shift to be undesirable considering a close family member was dying and I didn't realize how difficult working nights would be on the situation.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2009

I worked in a grocery store- Customer Service and Accounting for 6.5 of the 8.5 years (I was not old enough the first two years). In the first two years, I mainly worked as a bagger, in the restraunt (cook, food runner, cashier), deli/bakery, and as a cashier. DUring the 6.5 years of customer service, I filled in as needed. I covered the pharmacy tech's vacations because I was certified (would have done that full time but my school schedule wouldn't align). I was the floral manager for 3 weeks (the old one stepped down and later regretted the decision so there went my job). I ran the nutrition/organic department for years 2-3 days per week while doing customer service the other days. I also worked in grocery, produce, dairy, general merchandise, etc... I have literally done everything BUT cut meat and received goods through the back door.
    I hated it (mostly), but it worked around my school schedule.

I also was a receptionist at a car dealership until 2 weeks ago. I loved it and was heartbroken when I was laid off. I still cry if I think about it. The job was boring and super easy. I got to do school stuff there. I HATED the way the company was ran. I dearly miss the salesmen :( They were my family (or surrogate family since my family is 750 miles away)

I am awaiting the results of a background check, but it looks like Cracker Barrel will be my next place of employment (in the gift shop).

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 3, 2009

I can only think of one non-teaching related job (other than being a paperboy in middle school)

I worked for an incoming call centre at Eddie Bauer. I didn't mind it really, but knew I didn't want to do it forever. I did this while I was subbing right out of University. I won myself a nice jacket from there though, so that was good. I was the master at selling credit cards for them.

I almost worked at a bookstore.... this past year after being laid off, I decided to get a part time job at a bookstore while I subbed... they didn't get back to me after the interview until I had already found a teaching job. It killed me to turn it down... I would have LOVED to work at a bookstore... but there just weren't enough hours in the day to do my prep work AND teach AND work at the bookstore... no matter how good the discount was!

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 3, 2009

Let's see.

Carpenter's helper 3rd class industrial (forms and concrete work)
    Carpenter's helper domestic (framing up residences)
    Drywall hanger
    Industrial painter
    Fiberglas laborer
    Remodeler/painter/whatever was needed
    Sign painter
    Stock person at a retail store
    Direct mail laborer
    Sculptor's helper
    Bed and Breakfast maintenance person/cook/greeter/maid/whatever was needed.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 3, 2009

I worked at a Mom and Pop diner during college. It was a tough job, but good pay. I used to grade papers in college--that was fun and I got paid.

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 3, 2009

vet tech for 5 years
    sub
    receptionist at car dealership
    petsitter

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 3, 2009

ice cream stand server (twice)
    fast food (arby's)
    convenient store clerk
    Latchkey caregiver
    library page (shelves books)
    home sales (tastefully simple)
    full time babysitter

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2009

I've never had a non-education job.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 3, 2009

- Worked at a plastic factory - my first job, dad phoned me one day and told me he found me a job.
    - Daycare worker
    - Cashier at a department store
    - Worked in the cash office at a department store

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 3, 2009

I was a waitress in high school...the only job available around here. It was ok, and I was good at it, although at the time it felt like torture.

In college, I got a job right away as a computer lab technician, and a receptionist-type in the teacher's college dean's office. It was a good gig, I got to do homework in the lab, and make a lot of connections in the dean's office. I met Tom Osborne more than once, which if you know anything about Nebraska, you know he is up for patron saint of football.

I thought I needed more money and had time on my hands, so I got a job at Cracker Barrel. Sorry giraffe, but that was easily akin to guarding the gates of hell. I hated every minute of it, the pay was awful, the tips were worse (old people don't tip), and the gestapo-like managers were on missions from the devil himself.

I worked at K-Mart for about a month one semester, but it was just too much, so I had to quit. I felt bad, because I hadn't worked there long, but it was harder than I expected and took a lot of time.

I was a sign language interpreter for 4 years after college round 1, but that was educational. Other than in school, I freelanced a lot and taught a couple of college courses.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2009

I worked for three years (age 16-19) as a CNA in a nursing home. That was SUCH tough work.

When I was in college I came home on summers and holidays and worked at the front desk at my dad's hotel.

I worked in an insurance agency for a summer while they were in the process of hiring an agent.

I still play piano for weddings and events. I've been doing that since college.

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2009

I've worked at a grocery store since I was 16 (except for the half of a year I lived in Colorado). For the first year I worked as a cashier and now have worked in produce for about eight years. It's a fairly easy job and for the most part I enjoy it as long as I don't let the little things bother me.

Also, from when I was 16 until I was 21 I supervised the nursery for one mass at church. This was fun and decent money, unfortunately they got rid of the nursery at church, so that job ended.

And my only other non-education job was when I worked as a Graduate Assistant at college in an academic advising center. I really enjoyed academic advisement and am looking for jobs in this field along with teaching right now.

17. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 3, 2009

I worked 25 years before becoming a teacher!

High school - retail sales, shoes (commission!)

College - I had a radio station work-study job, then retail sales again, a stint at DQ, and finally, customer call center for Harry & David.

Post-BS - all high-tech marketing jobs (trade shows -> marketing support -> product manager -> marcom manager -> six sigma marketing black belt (that title sounds like it came from a Dilbert but no, it was really a job)

This is my second year teaching. I'll be 40 on Saturday.

18. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Nov 3, 2009

I worked in a pizza place as a senior in high school. I loved the job, and they promoted me quickly. By the time I graduated, I was working a highly illegal number of hours. I was acting manager for most of that summer, until I started college.

In college, I worked at bookstores (2 different chains, at least 2 stores from both chains).

After college, I was in various types of accountng, finance, and business analysis.

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 3, 2009

49er, that's what happened to me at the shoe store where I worked in high school. The manager and asst. manager quit the summer I was between high school and college and I wound up managing the place and working 12 hour days 7 days a week. I loved the money, but looking back, that was a lot for a 17 year old!

20. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 3, 2009

OMG... do you really want to know?

After school care program worker (in HS)

Camp Counselor

Pizza Maker

Sou chef

Home health care worker- I even had a patient die while I was there alone!

Worked in the Alzheimer's ward of a nursing home- which has super interesting stories!

Worked the night shift at an Adult family home

Answering service telephone operator (for THREE YEARS) at a hospital. I did that while in grad school and worked graveyard. I also had to be in charge of the MORGUE and saw the Lyon's Eye people do a cornea removal on a corpse!

File Clerk

Nanny (several times for several families)

Delivery driver for DHL (like UPS)

Retail jobs- Mervyn's, a kiosk in the mall

Daycare jobs, La Petit Academy and Kindercare

Aid at a Montessori school

Care Provider for Down's syndrome teen

Tutor (after already having been a teacher)

Paraeducator in the Emotional/Behavioral HS program (before being certified)

21. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Nov 3, 2009

I worked at a pet store for two years, selling mostly reptiles and fish.

I spent five years, on and off, conducting ropes course and rock climbing programs.

After school programs and summer camp counselors

That's it.

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 3, 2009

Pizza place-looooove making pizzas. I can sprinkle ingredients like a pro.

Hallmark. Always thought I could open my own Hallmark across the street and run them out of town. They were idiots.

Toys-R-Us cashier-also loooooved this job. It sparked my interest in children's toys. I originally wanted to go to school to design the packaging for toys, but my stupid guidance counselor sent me to a school that didn't have the program. Grrrrr.

College gym entrance guard-I swiped the cards and flirted with the hot athletes. And worked 14 hour days. I was fired on 9.11 because I came in late after seeing the attacks on tv and freaking out.

College cafeteria dish room and general manager-worked my way up over three years, and worked about 30 hours a week. Loved the job, HATED the fickle elevator and the steam burns.

College telemarketer/fundraiser-raised about 65k in less than a year by calling alumni. I rock at sales.

Entered teaching, taught for threeand a half years.

Took some time off to be a secretary/assistant property manager for Hines, a huge property management company. Obsessed about getting another teaching job the entire time. Also created www.realclassroomideas.com during that time.

Went back to teaching after exactly 6 months.

Worked as a princess performer at birthday parties while teaching last year. Great cash pay, lousy work conditions. You just can't entertain 15 2-year-olds with balloon animals and a puppet show. You just can't.

Back to teaching, and running Sprout.

23. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2009

restaurant hostess at the country club
    counter help at auto glass/tinting store
    private teacher/homeschool
    sign language interptreter (elementary, middle and college level)