What are the most common behavior problems you encounter?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ms_teacher_lady, Jan 22, 2014.

1. ms_teacher_lady

ms_teacher_lady New Member

Jan 22, 2014

As a special education teacher, what are the most common behavior problems your students exhibit and what grade? I am interested to learn what might be the most commonly used/needed behavioral IEP goals for any grade level.

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 22, 2014

I haven't had behavior goals for any of my kids outside of my BD/ED student. This student has goals around managing anger, cooling down, and basic social skills.

I don't think anything is typical in SPED. The caseload can vary dramatically from year to year. We have a class coming up heavy on students with Autism, so I will need to brush up on more behavioral interventions.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 22, 2014

This.

Although, if it helps, I currently have a large social skills group which I have divided into three subgroups:

1) students who need to learn basic social interaction skills (how to make friends, have conversations, take turns, etc.)

2) students who need to learn to accept setbacks and deal appropriately with frustration and disappointment

3) students who just need to learn how to be in an environment with other people (how to keeps hands to self, how to sit in chair, how to talk to others, etc).

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2014

Those are three excellent examples of typical behavioral goals that I see with my high school students. We also sometimes do behavioral goals for bringing only appropriate materials to school (not drugs or graffiti paint). We also do attendance goals for students who chronically ditch or show up late. If one of our students is suspended for more than 5 days, we have to create a goal relating to the suspension.

6. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jan 24, 2014

I work with mostly SLD, some CD. I also have a few with Asperger's. If I could sum up the most common behavioral issue out of ALL of these groups, it would be learned helplessness.

Then again, there are many many typical students who also exhibit this issue as well :)

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 24, 2014

:yeahthat:

:eek:

8. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Feb 16, 2015

I work at a residential facility. I see a lot of physical aggression, self harm, prompt dependency, sexual inappropriateness, verbal disruption, refusal to transition, and refusal to stay seated

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 17, 2015

Wow, have you been at my school recently??? You so nailed my norm. Oppositional defiance, social maladjustment, anger control, emotional outbursts, and blatant destruction of property could be on the list too. What wouldn't I give for a quick fix for all of these. :dizzy: