What are the essentials?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kcbutterfly, Jun 23, 2006.

1. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Jun 23, 2006

What are the essentials that a new kindergarten should get before the first day? I've gotten a good bit of stuff, but I want to make sure I have everything I really need.

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2006

1. popsicle sticks (to put names on- use for jobs, star students, choosing teams, etc.)

2. whistle
    3. bell or some other noise maker ( use to get students' attention, etc.)
    4. apron for yourself (one that covers top and bottom for those messy projects)
    5. rhythm sticks! (use to teach patterning, segmenting, counting, anything!)
    6. calendar pocket chart and calendar days/months/days of week

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 23, 2006

Manipulatives, posters, stickers, books, books, books, CD player & CDs, ...... Have you checked out what your classroom already has and asked what your school will order for you?

5. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Jun 23, 2006

The teacher I'm replacing is leaving me some things to use. I don't know exactly what she's leaving though. (She's moving to gifted in the same school, she's not retiring.) Also, I pooled my money from the school with the other Kindergarten teachers for chart paper, sentence strips, etc. I don't know how much I have left over yet.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 23, 2006

You'll want to find out about consummable art supplies, BB paper, calendar materials.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 24, 2006

Duct tape to hold stuff together... makes for a good can drink holder when not in use. :)

SEVERAL rolls of MAVALUS tape for putting stuff on the walls... BB stuff, posters, etc. If you have painted cinder block walls, you will need it.

Lori

8. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jun 24, 2006

What is Mavalus tape? I noticed my new school has mostly cinder block walls and my old school had bulletin board walls from floor to ceiling. I have been worrying all summer about how to hang stuff lol.

Essentials: Pocket Charts, student whiteboards, tons of Expo markers, a great go-to person who will help you out in your new school!

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 24, 2006

. List of things to have in your room have you thought of: yard stick, ruler, lots of extra pencils, lots of stickers, whistle so you don’t have to yell at recess, a must --bar stool to rest your feet, great to even lean up against or captain’s chair it has a back, but cost more, rubber bands, safety pins, sewing kit –needle and variety of color spools of thread –a dollar at dollar store in a small plastic box, clear finger nail polish to repair runs in hose, 3 hole punch, single hole punch, stapler, a couple big boxes of Kleenex, paper towels, sticky notes, a bunch of extra pencils, (short pencils with no erasers work great (students don’t want to borrow them and for some reason don’t break their lead and remember to sharpen their pencils before class), magic markers with grey included several boxes, good gel pen for grading papers and writing notes, I like my pink, zip lock bags –large and small, masking tape, scotch tape and heavy dispenser, deodorant, brush or comb for yourself, clear finger nail polish for quick fix hose runs, nail file for broken nails, large paper clip for your use so much better than the small ones, disinfectant (clean desk tops, pencils and door knobs –keep your room as germ free as possible, big scissors to fit your hand, erasers for top of pencils boom box, tape recorder, CD something to play music and etc on. digital timer, Glue: buy one small glue bottle for each student, than when bottle gets used, refill from your big bottle, which is cheaper, buy during beginning of school sales. Little bottles work better with little hands. Glue sticks are best. But cost more. Calendar, camera, dictionary – thesaurus, extension cord and adapter. Slide-grader. Go to garage sales, flea markets, Good Will, Salvation Army and thrift shops and buy books for in your room. If there is a box ask how much for the whole box usually cheaper. Tell them it is for a classroom, usually give you a discount. Buy a stamp pad and stamp “Property of your name” stamp on first page and along the edge if possible and several other places. Need book shelves. Buy used book shelf size of your file cabinet, butt it up against one side of the cabinet and use other side for a magnet board center.
    File folders –one for each student, keep all notes to and from home, note late papers, lose of recess one minute or two because of behavior problems and etc. Information Sheet. Student’s full name. What student will be called in the classroom, address, phone number, father’s name, address, phone number, mother’s name, address, phone number, emergency phone number, allergies, food and etc. And any other information that I might like to know about your child. A can of play dough for each student for the first day. Students go to their desk and start working with the play dough, while you are greeting more students, makes your room busy and under control from the first moment of arrival, no running around. Stamp pad and stamp with your name on it. Mark everything that you buy. Mark books back and along the edge. Library books for your room --get at garage sales, thrift shops, Goodwill and ask parents at parent night when they clean out their children’s rooms you’d love to have their extra books. You will mark donated by: Your room will look more educational with books on the shelves. Here is an excellent web page, you might want to check out for more ideas. http://www.kinderkorner.com/chklist.html

10. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jun 24, 2006

Wow hescollin -- what a great list. As I was reading it I kept thinking oh yeah, of course! I have those things in my room and just take it for granted. The personal items are key -- deodorant, brush, lipgloss or chapstick, things you need if you suddenly have a meeting after school, trust me you'll feel more confident if you can put yourself back together after a day with the little ones. And I can't live without my Clorox wipes. I wipe down their tables every day and the door handles and light switches. Try to cut down on all the sick days -- for me as much as for them! :)

OHHH How can I forget air freshener!!! Those kiddos smell after running around on the playground and your room will get funky. I love the battery operated fan-style air fresheners. I put 2 in my classroom and everyone who walks through stops and smiles and says wow it smells good in here! :)

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 24, 2006

Hope it is ok I added the battery operated fan style air fresheners to my doc. Fresh plants should be on the list. Fresh plants are healthy for us. Always leave a window open a crack, very small. That small crack will let in a bit of fresh air.

12. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Jun 24, 2006

What are the essentials

Thank you so much for that great list hescollin! Unfortunately, my room doesn't have a window. :(

13. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 24, 2006

We got an artificial tree in a large pot at Wal Mart and we love it. Add a string of clear mini Christmas lights, candy canes at Christmas time, plastic apples to start the year, Plastic Easter Eggs with yellow chicks in them when studing life cycles, a small card with the name of each read aloud book you read.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 24, 2006

http://www.mavalus.com/

No Window??? Make one!!! make one out of a square BB if you have one. Take narrow strips of wood or whatever to make it look like window panes and make curtains out of cheap printed material. Hang small projects in the "window"

Lori

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2006

These are some of the things that I end up buying from my own money each year:
    Sharpies, ziplock baggies in all sizes, brown paper lunch bags, a yard stick, sticky backed magnets, clothespins (spring-loaded type), safety pins, playdough, baby wipes, rolls of paper towels (at my school, they only give us the brown kraft-paper type. useless for big spills. you'll need a couple of rolls of real ones, too), a good pair of grown-up scissors (I buy myself a new pair every year), plastic silverware.

You can get most of this at the dollar store....the teacher's best friend is the dollar store! Ours even has a teacher area with name plates, certificiates, etc.
    Kim

16. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Thanks for the great information eveyone...I'm off to the dollar store and Big Lots to look for stuff!

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 7, 2006

don't forget to check the Goodwill and Salvation Army.

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 7, 2006

My aid always keeps a mop and a broom in the closet. It is easier sometimes for us to clean the spills and messes then get the custodian.

Someone mentioned playdough. I make my own and the kids love it. This way there is only one color and I find it is better. I change the color each month and they always try to guess what the new color will be.

19. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2006

staple gun- I use the one I purchased from Michaels- not as heavy duty as a regular one but enough to keep things stapled

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

Deodorant -- some mornings I can't remember if I did or didn't. Toothbrush and toothpaste - young kids can be too honest :). A couple dollars in change -- sometimes you just need a Coke or some chocolate!

21. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 7, 2006

If anybody is interested? I'll share some play dough recipes.

Home Made Play dough
    2 cups flour
    1 cup salt
    2 tablespoons cream of tarter
    2 cups of water
    1 tablespoons mineral oil
    food coloring
    Mix all ingredients in a saucepan.
    Cook over medium heat, stirring until stiff.
    Allow to cool, then knead.

Home Made Play dough (2)
    1 cup flour
    1 cup of water
    1/2 cup of salt
    2 tablespoons cream of tarter
    1 tablespoon of oil
    Cook this ingredients until it forms an item in the pan.
    Pour it out onto a tupperware lid.
    Cover with damp cloth.
    Add food coloring if you like.
    Store new play dough in the fridge in an air tight container.
    It is non-eatable play dough.

Microwave Play dough
    Combine 2 cups of flour: I cup of salt 2 cups of water. I tablespoon of oil, and 4 teaspoons of cream of tartar. Microwave or heat on high, stirring after each minute until it is the correct consistency.
    Peanut Butter Playdough
    3 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
    4 cups powdered sugar
    4 cups powdered milk
    3 1/2 cups corn syrup
    Mix ingredients by hand.
    Can decorate with sprinkles, M&Ms etc.
    It is eatable.

Salt Playdough
    1 cup water
    1 cup salt
    1/2 cup flour
    Food coloring
    Mix ingredients in pan.
    Add food coloring. Stir on low heat.
    When it thickens remove from heat.
    Put some on waxed paper or floured surface and roll out.
    Cut out objects.
    Air dry objects few days.
    Store un-usedportion in air-tight container.
    It is non-eatable

Oatmeal Playdough
    2 cups smooth peanut butter
    2 cups rolled oats
    2 cups powdered milk
    2/3 cups honey
    Optional -Rice Krispes, Coconut Sprinkles, chocolate chips, Red Hots, etc.
    Mix ingredients until combined.
    Wash hands.
    Lay down wax paper.
    Store in air-tight container.

KoolAid Playdough
    3 cups flour
    1/2 cups salt
    2 Koolaide packages
    2 cups boiling water
    Mix dry ingredients together. Add boiling water. Knead on floured board.
    Can add flour by sprinkles until desired consistency.
    This playdough will last for a long time when stored correctly.

Numnum Playdough
    2 cups of honey
    3 cups of peanut butter
    3 packets powdered milk
    Stir all ingredients together until smooth.
    Add more powdered milk if desired.
    Is sticky and eatable.

Cloud Playdough
    1 cup water,
    1 1/2 cup vegetable oil,
    6 cup flour
    Add a few drops of food coloring to water.
    Combine water, oil and flour in a large bowl. Knead well.
    Add more water if necessary in small amounts until the dough is soft and stretchy.
    Cloud playdough should be used on a washable surface as it is very greasy.

Coffee Playdough
    4 cups unsifted all purpose flour,
    1 cup salt,
    1/4 cup instant coffee
    1 1/2 c warm water
    Dissolve the coffee in the warm water.
    In another bowl, mix the flour and the salt.
    Make a well and add 1 cup of the coffee water into it.
    Mix with a fork or with your hands until smoother.
    Add more coffee water as needed: dough should be smooth not sticky or crumbling.
    Store in air tight container.
    When you're done making figures, bake in oven for 1 hour at 300 degrees or until hard.
    A coat or 2 of shellac keeps it well preserved for longer lasting gifts.

Fruit Playdough
    2 cups flour
    1 cup salt
    4 tablespoons cream of tarter
    2 cups boiling water
    2 tablespoons of cooking oil
    3 oz package sugar-free fruit flavored gelatin
    Mix dry ingredients in pan.
    Add the water and oil.
    Stir over medium heat until mixture forms a ball.
    Pour onto a sheet of wax paper.

22. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Great idea changing the color each month!!!

23. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

hescollin, is there one recipe that works better than another?

24. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

Mavalus tape is simply the best. My principle is strict about hot glue guns etc.. on the walls and mavulus tape is simply the best by far!!!! It sticks to everything and comes off easily. I swear by it! Nothing is more fustrating then having children tell you five-ten times a day that something is falling off the walls during the first week of school.

Last year was my first year and I didn't discover mavulus tape till week three. Don't do what I did. STOCK UP NOW

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2006

Do you have an online source with good prices?

26. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 7, 2006

When I make the playdough in January I just leave it white and add silver glitter in it! I put plastic cookie cutters in the playdough box and I change them too seasonly.

I can't live without my funtack! I use it for my calendar. Poster tape is also great - I use to put everything.

27. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I saw that at School Aides today, but I didn't get any because I already had some. It is kind of pricey for the little bit that you get on a roll.

I went in looking for a class calendar. I started to get one that came in a pack with numbers, months, etc. It was $11.99. But then I saw just the calendar chart and figured I could decorate it with border and make my own month and date cards from the computer. I also bought a notepad that I am going to laminate to make name tags w/ child's info on it. I was looking for some pencil toppers or something that I could use as a pointer topper, but I couldn't find any that I liked. I wanted bumblebees or something like that.

28. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

Where do you buy Mavalus tape?

29. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I have seen it at two different teacher supply stores.

30. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

online?

31. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

You can find great books for your classroom library at Goodwill!!! Last year was my first year of teaching and I got tons of books really inexpensive.:D

32. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I got mine at a store called Teacher Tools in Mississippi. I saw some today at School Aides here in Florida. Do you have a teacher supply store where you live? They should have some there.

33. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 7, 2006

They have it at Key's, but I don't know if they have one in your area. Where are you in GA?

34. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

It is called The School Box here in GA. I am in Dekalb County. There is a website www.schoolbox.com. or maybe you can just google it. it's like 3.99 for a roll. the pull and tear kind. Not that expensive for what it does.

35. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 7, 2006

They also have it at a place called Key's in GA.