What are the best study guides to prepare for the CBEST?

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by factorx832, Dec 24, 2008.

1. factorx832

factorx832 New Member

Dec 24, 2008

Iam taking the CBEST in Febuary and I need to get a study guide. What are the best study guides to prepare for the CBSET?

Thanks

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 24, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, factorx832. I infer from your username that you're reasonably comfortable with math: am I correct?

Before getting a prep book, you might do well to take the free online practice test in order to find out just what test content you need help with. The books differ among themselves in emphasis and approach, and the book that is perfect for someone else may not be right for you.

4. connect4

connect4 Rookie

Jan 18, 2009

I was wondering the EXACT same thing because my CBEST exam is coming up this February.

Thanks for the answer TeacherGroupie:

From your answer, this is what I'm getting:

1. There *is not a best CBEST Study guide, whether its "Cracking the CBEST" or "Kaplan CBEST", but their all different variations of CBEST study guides. Each book has its own style and emphasis, and what works for someone will not work for someone else.

2. Every individual should practice different areas according to what their strengths and weaknesses are, which can be determined by taking the online practice exam form their website

Is this correct TeacherGroupie?

I have another question though:

*Is the online test an accurate practice test according to the actual CBEST Test difficulty?

Or is it a "easier" version of the actual test itself?

5. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

Jan 18, 2009

The online test (you're referring to the one found on the testing website right?) is similar in format, same types of questions you'll find on the real test. It can be helpful in finding out what areas you're weak in.

(As for difficulty, when I first took it, I thought it was a little hard, but after I did many practice tests, once I took the actual test, it didn't seem so hard b/c I already knew what to be prepared for.)

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 19, 2009

Points 1 and 2 correct, yes, connect4.

As to whether the online test is representative of the real thing in difficulty, one hears varying opinions. Broadly, though, it's pretty comparable.

Please, though, don't expect that the test you'll take in February will ask questions exactly as the practice test does: leave yourself some mental room in which to roll with the punches. That is, the prep books might ask a question that demands that you know the definition of a term; the actual test may instead ask you to do something that depends on you knowing what the term means. On the surface the first question seems very different from the second, but in fact they have a good deal in common, if one can roll with the punches a bit.

7. connect4

connect4 Rookie

Jan 20, 2009

Thanks!

Very helpful answers

...Does anyone have any more tips, or suggestions from CBEST experience?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2009

Some people like to take prep classes... the advantage to prep, especially with CBEST essay, is that one can get feedback on one's writing, live.

9. connect4

connect4 Rookie

Feb 23, 2009

I just wanted to update on my CBEST Results....

I PASSED!!!
    43 73 41 (just BARELY on my essay & reading...)

Thank you so much you guys for your support & advice!!!

it is much much appreciated

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 24, 2009

Congratulations, connect4!

11. bobbybd

bobbybd New Member

Feb 27, 2009

I used CLIFFs CSET Test Prep Book which came with a prep class I took at a California State University. The class along with notes and handouts were all I used along with practice and review of CLIFFs CSET Book and I passed all 3 subtests the first time out. The hints in CLIFFs book were great and right on target. Yeah! Bob

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 27, 2009

Is that still the 2002 edition of Cliffs? CBEST has changed a couple times since then.

13. eljameson

eljameson Rookie

Mar 14, 2009

I passed the entire CBEST on the first try. The only studying I did was to look at the practice questions online the night before. Those are really true to the test.

14. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 16, 2009

I bought one of the books and practiced taking the tests they have on their CDs. I have to say none of those questions were ON the test...but it DID give me hints in the areas i was lacking in, and therefore insight to what i had to review myself. It ALSO gave me experience in taking a test like this. The fact I practiced it over a few times relaxed me.

I passed the test with flying colors the first time out. (Being a non-traditional student returning to education I was under the assumption/instructions that i didn't NEED to do the basic skills test... until the LAST opportunity to take the test was upon me. Had i NOT passed the test that first time, I would have had to delay my schooling strictly FOR the test the next semester)...and actually surprised myself that I recalled so many theories, practices, and procedures.

Was the book helpful? Yes...not for drilling the correct answers, but more in inspiring me to study and removing my feelings of being overwhelmed.

I should mention... I started practicing about 2-3 weeks in advance. Doing it with no practice? God Bless You, I know I couldn't have done it!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2009

McKennaL, that's just about exactly how any of the prep guides for any of the teacher tests is best used. The one thing I'd add is that, since the tests change faster than the prep guides do, the prudent test taker does all this with an eye on the official test framework/content specifications.

If, with an approach like yours, you hadn't passed, I'd have been surprised.