What Are Some Terms Native To Your Region

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 14, 2010.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2010

We say those things, along with "busier than a one-legged man in an a__ kicking contest" or "busier than a one armed paper hanger."

2. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jul 18, 2010

All of these are so much fun. My grandmother made "chicken pie" but it was the version made in a pot. My husband calls this chicken and dumplings. I know that it is not chicken pie because it doesn't have a crust or lots of vegies. I get so confused.

I say "Good night, Nellie!" Cannot remember where that came from.

3. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jul 18, 2010

In Chicago, you're a "north sider" or "south sider" and for entertainment, you go "downtown" (even if you live south, cuz "Uptown" is its own separate neighborhood) or to the "Loop." We'll tell you that we "seen" a movie (ugh...I hate when my mom says that!) and we get a sub, burger, fries and a "pop." Most of us south siders live in "St. ____ Parish", and if we like baseball it's the Sox or Cubs (not allowed to cheer for the other, even if they make the World Series). We eat "junk" pizza (sausage, onion, and green pepper), hot dogs with "everything" (except ketchup unless you're a little kid) which includes that icky green relish. We have "front" rooms and "family" rooms (both with couches), and when we vacation, it's a trip to the "cottage" in Michigan or Wisconsin.

Thanks for starting this thread; it was fun to read!

4. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

Here in NY, we stand "on line" and not "in line"

Also, even though I'm from NYC, my students tell me I have a thick NY accent...I don't know why. It's usually the kids whose families are from Puerto Rico and DR. There are different city accents. I think mine is the italian one, which is why it may sound different to my students.

5. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 2, 2010

This morniing ON NBC with Kathy Lee & Hoda - KL was in Michigan this past weekend & she used a mitten with the map of MI on it to show where she was visiting in MI. :lol:

6. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

I lived in Hawaii for a while and it is a totally foreign language to me. Trash can is Rubbish. Instead of "the" or "a", "one" as in "I get one headache" Or you have many. Male friends are Bra. As in "Hey bra, howzit?" Da Kine means whatever word you have forgotten during the conversation. Puka is hole. Tampons are puka plugs. Men's underwear are BVD's pronounced behvehdees. A child who is misbehaving is "making trouble", regardless of the actual behaviour. Haolie, pronounced howlie, refers to a caucasion, hapa haolie refers to some one who is half caucasian. Because there are so many different cultures, you are often asked "What's your nationality?" SO mine would be French, English, German etc..., not American.

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 3, 2010

Just remembered another common phrase the other day.

purt near - means "almost".

"I'm purt near ready to go." :)

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2010

I wonder if my grandpa picked this up when he was stationed in Hawaii while serving in the Navy. I never heard anyone else say it...

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 4, 2010

LOVE CHICAGO!!

(I write this with help.)
    Chicago is a city of the official Midwest Accent (none what-so-ever)…but there ARE those who can sound like “Da Superfans” from Saturday Night Live (especially from the south side). Now, if we DON”T say these things…we certainly understand EVERY ONE of them…because SOMEONE in our family speaks EXACTLY this way.

1. Grachki (grach'-key): Chicagoese for "garage key" as in, "Yo, Theresa, waja do wit da grachki? Howmy supposta cut da grass if I don't git intada grach?”

2. Sammich: Chicagoese for sandwich. When made with sausage, it's a sassage sammich.

3. Da: This article is a key part of Chicago speech, as in "Da Bears" or "Da Mare" -- the latter denoting Mayor Richard M. Daley, or Richie, as he's often called.

4. Jewels: Not family heirlooms or a tender body region, but a popular name for one of the region's dominant grocery store chains. "I'm goin' to the Jewels to pick up some sassage."

5. Field's: Marshall Field, a prominent Chicago department store. Actually, it has now been bought out by Macy’s (boo) but it’ll always be Field’s to us!

6. Tree: The number between two and four. "We were lucky dat we only got tree inches of snow da udder night."

7. Over by dere: Translates! to "over by there," a way of emphasizing a site presumed familiar to the listener. As in, "I got the sassage at the Jewels down on Kedzie, over by dere."

8. Kaminski Park : The mispronounced name of the ballpark where the Chicago White Sox (da Sox) play baseball. Comiskey Park was renamed U.S. Cellular Field (da Cell)

9. Frunchroom: As in, "Get outta da frunchroom wit dose muddy shoes." It's not the "parlor. It's not a living room. In the land of the bungalow, it's the "frunchroom," a named derived, linguists believe, from "front room."

10. Use: Not the verb, but the plural pronoun 'you!' "Where use goin'?"

11. Downtown!: Anywhere near The Lake, south of The Zoo (Lincoln Park Zoo) and north of Soldier Field

12. The Lake: Lake Michigan (What other lake is there?) It's often used by local weathermen, "cooler by The Lake."

13. Braht: Short for Bratwurst. "Gimme a braht wit kraut."

14. Goes: Past or present tense of the verb "say." For example, "Den he goes, 'I like dis place'!"

15. Guys: Used when addressing two or more people, regardless of each individual's gender.

16. Pop: A soft drink. Don't say "soda" in this town!! "Do ya wanna canna pop?"

17. Sliders: Nickname for hamburgers from White Castle, a popular Midwestern burger chain. "Dose sliders I had last night gave me da runs." (That’s why they CALL them sliders!)

19. The Taste: The Taste of Chicago Festival, a huge extravaganza in Grant Park featuring samples of Chicagoland cuisine which takes place each year around the Fourth of July holiday.

20. "Jeetyet?": Translates to, "Did you eat yet?"

21. Winter and Road Construction: Punch line to the joke, "What are the two seasons in Chicago?"

22. Cuppa Too-Tree: is Chicagoese for "a couple, two, three" which really means "a few." For example,
    "Hey Mike, dere any beerz left in da cooler over by dere?"
    "Yeh, a cuppa too-tree."

23. Junk Dror: You will usually find the 'junk drawer' in the kitchen filled to the brim with miscellaneous, but very important, junk.

26. Expressways: The Interstates in the immediate Chicagoland area are usually known just by their 'name' and not their Interstate number: the Dan Ryan ("da Ryan"), the Stevenson, the Kennedy (da "Kennedy"), the Eisenhower ! (da "Ike"), and the Edens (just "Edens" but Da Edens" is acceptable).

27. Gym Shoes: The rest of the country may refer to them as sneakers or running shoes but Chicagoans will always call them gym shoes!
    28. Jamoke: An idiot – “Whaddaya some sordda jamoke? Who calls it Chi-Town? You’re embarrassing me already!”
    Ok… and ..

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A CHICAGOIAN WHEN>>>>
    1.You know how to pronounce Blagojevich but wish you never had to.
    2.You can distinguish between the following area codes: 847,630,773,708, 312, & 815.
    3. You have at some time in your life, used your furniture to guard your parking spot in winter. (CHICAGO CLASSIC!!)
    4."The Super Bowl" only refers to one specific game played in January of 1986.
    5. You think 35 degrees is great weather to wash your car!
    6. You don't pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois. You become irate at people who do
    7. You measure distance in minutes. Example: “I swear, it’s pretty much 15 minutes away.”

And a joke I love about Chicago (by comedian Richard Jeni)::
    How Chicago got started:
    A bunch of people in New York said, 'Gee, I'm enjoying the crime and the poverty, but it just isn't cold enough. Let's go West.'

10. サマンサ

サマンサ Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

I'm from all over the place. Here we go:

Maine - wicked, as in it's wicked good, aka really good.
    gahbage - garbage with the Maine accent hehe
    Lobsta - and once again the accept
    Yessa - Yes
    Bub - friend, buddy, my grandfather always called me this. Boy do I miss him.

Florida-
    Y'all ~ you all, I'm pretty sure this was already posted!

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 4, 2010

nah (na ahhh)

ya (ya gotta be kiddin' me)

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

haha not everyone talks that way. It's the older people and people from down east.

Here check out this site
    Farmer from DownEast born 1916
    http://web.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica/usa/maine/maine1.mp3

male student born 1984 in Falmouth Maine
    http://web.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica/usa/maine/maine2.mp3

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

I call a roundabout a rotary http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_circle
    I say Car accident
    We go to the ocean or the beach
    We eat Italians not subs.
    It is WICKED hot today. Seriously

Ok I had to to look up stuff becuase I have no idea what's normal and what's not any more.

Apiece: An undetermined distance: He lives down the road apiece. (I don't use this term older people do)
    Ayuh: Yup. Sure. Okay. That's right. You Bet.
    Bug: Lobster (I also don't say this)
    Cah: A four wheel vehicle, not a truck. (I say Car)
    Chowdah: Chowder
    Crittah: Any furry animal
    Cunnin': Cute (I heard this alot when I was teaching in down east)
    Finest Kind: The very best
    From Away: Not from Maine
    Gawmy: Awkward or clumsy
    Numb: Dumb. Stupid.
    Pot: Lobster Trap
    Prayer Handle: Knee (I have never heard this haha)
    Quahog: Thick-shelled clam (pronounced co-hog)
    Scrid: A tiny piece (never heard this)
    Steamers: Clams (used to eat this when I was little gag)
    Wicked: Very. To a high degree, such as wicked good, wicked bad, wicked exciting, etc.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

Ottoman. I footstool is the thing you take out to climb up on to get something off the top shelf.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

Well since all the Snow birds go there in the winter, we use the same terms in Maine. :lol:

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

Goose here means that someone grabs your behind.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

We go up North or to The County.

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

Oh we use that phrase too. He took a wicked digger when he was dirt biking.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

Does any one know that isn't from New England what a pot hole or a frost heave is? An exchange student once asked me privately what both were.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 4, 2010

In the south a pot hole is a hole in the road. You know, those kinds that cause your car to take a bumpy ride when you hit it.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

Same here Cut.

22. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Aug 8, 2010

H A D A W A Y A N D S H I T E ! :whistle: Its said as one word !!!! One says it to some one who is talking rubbish (garbage) !!!!