What are some quirks you have?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Feb 1, 2010.

1. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 2, 2010

I can't handle dirty dishes in the sink...I don't care if it is just until the next commercial.

I hate dog food...I can't walk down the aisle in the store...I can't watch it on tv commercials. BUT I can feed all of our other animals. I can go into a feed store just not by the dog food.

2. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 2, 2010

This is by far the funniest thing I read all day!

3. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Feb 2, 2010

:lol: I talk to myself too, specially when I´m trying to figure sthg out, or when I´m walking by the street (but I don´t want people notice it).

I always give people "nicknames" and they are connected to famous celebs, the same as you do, maybe they are based on their real names or on a characteristic they have or they look like. I do this of the nicknames ONLY @ home with Dh (actually, he is the Starter of these weird names)

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2010

I must sleep on my stomach. If my hips aren't squarely under me, I am not going to sleep, even if I am comfortable some other way.

When I lived in DE, most license plates have 6 numbers, and I would always add the first three with the last three while I was driving. I would also make math problems out of them while I drove, like if it was 1192, I would say 11-9=2 or something like that. In PA they have letters and numbers, and I find myself glazing over while driving a lot because I don't have my little math problems.

I count my steps but I don't realize I am doing it. A number will just pop into my head every now and then.

I can't stand things touching teeth, especially silverware, popsicle sticks, and i can't pull my gloves off with my teeth. Uggg, it makes me start to feel nauseas just thinking about it, and I can't stand other people doing it either. I haven't been to a dentist in probably 6 years.

If I see someone else put on chapstick, I have to do it, too. It is like a yawning effect.

I have a LOT of food quirks but I seem to remember an entire thread on those. I do eat foods one at a time, including candy, usually saving the best for last, and I usually start with the veg, esp in a restaurant.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2010

Cassie and Bandnerd

I do the same thing! I am cnstantly saying "That's what she said" or "your mom" under my breath or in my head. lol. I especially like saying "your mom" to my siblings. lol.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 2, 2010

I set my alarm at an odd number, usually ending in 3, like 5:33 or 6:23...but never :13 lol

7. royalfamily

royalfamily Rookie

Feb 2, 2010

OCD

It's not called OCD, it's called CDO, because the letters HAVE to be in Alphabetical order!:D

8. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Feb 2, 2010

I get startled really easily- everytime someone knocks on my bedroom door, I scream.

I think in lyrics, especially Beatles lyrics.

I know more about music from the sixties and seventies than today's music and I'm not even twenty five.

I'm easily distracted and I can only focus on my schoolwork when I wear headphones and listen to music.

I hate eggs and mashed potatoes.

I talk to myself to try to think things through.

I actually enjoyed dissecting frogs in middle school. :)

I love to window shop.

When I shop, I will walk back and forth across the mall to different stores multiple times to find the item that I want at the best price.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2010

Hmmm...a few of these have already been mentioned.

I replay conversations in my head, but I also do a lot of rehearsing beforehand of how conversations might go. Of course, these aren't important conversations (otherwise it wouldn't be a quirk!), but rather random, everyday things.

I count steps a lot when I am walking. I always count stairs when I go up and down them. I find myself counting when I can't fall asleep, but (unlike counting sheep) it just keeps me awake.

I also get rhythms/beats stuck in my head easily. I can't sleep in a room with a ticking clock, because I will focus on the ticking.

I am constantly making everything into a song in my head. I used to file at my dad's office, and they were sets of 5-6 numbers. As I filed each one, I would sing the number to the tune of 'BINGO.' (Comes in handy, though, this afternoon I came up with a parts of speech song to teach my students tomorrow...)

I HATE touching foam. It was probably very entertaining to watch me make my bed in college when I had one of those egg crate mattress topper things...:)

I always have cold feet, but I have to take my socks off as soon as I get home.

I turn the shower off with my foot because I hate sticking my head back under the water after I've rinsed it and wrung it out.

I sleep under a mountain of blankets--I hate being cold at night, and I just keep stacking more on.

10. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Feb 3, 2010

I do that too. Sometimes for days afterwards, I just can't quit rethinking the conversation, even if it had no significance and the other party probably doesn't even remember it.

I also am a ChapStick fiend. It's genetic, I got it from my mother.

Eating noises drive me up the wall. Chewing, smacking, swallowing, clinking of silverware against teeth, against plates, against tables... Well, you get the idea. All of it. This is also hereditary, my grandfather, mother, aunt, brother, and I all suffer from intense irritablility over small, common noises. My poor fiance is starting to get the picture. We eat with music playing. :lol:

As someone else mentioned, I also have to have a fan on when I sleep for white noise, even when I'm cold. And I also sleep facing the "outside" of the bed. And I must be on the side of the bed closest to the door.

11. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Feb 3, 2010

I do that too. I'll count up to a certain number (often 8, or 28) then start over. Or else I'll count until I encounter a new surface (bricks vs. cement vs. grass). I, too, always count stairs, but I start over at each landing.

I count trucks when I'm riding in a car, too. Or license plates from certain states. Actually, I count lots of things.

12. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Feb 3, 2010

I do this in sign language. I realize it probably makes me look like a nut, but it does help me sort out my thoughts.

13. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Feb 3, 2010

I taught my daughter the ASL alphabet for a 4-H project that she did. Now I randomly spell words out during lectures just so my hands have something to do and to keep in practice. The kids probably think I am spastic.

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2010

I learned the ASL alphabet around the same time as I learned the Spanish one. I can't do one without the other...

15. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 3, 2010

I totally do that too. And, like someone else mentioned, I keep replaying thme, or rehearsing them, days later.

I sing in choir and play in band... and if I've already memorized a song, I can't look at the music. It throws me off. The directors don't always understand that. For instance, in college, we did a concert of the marching band music on Family Weekend. He insisted the music be on our stands. I can't look at the fight song, being written in cut time messes with my head after I played it so often!!! (This is really only a bad thing when I'm singing a different part than before...)

As far as skittles, smarties, starbursts, and M&M's, I group them so that there are as many groups containing one of each color as possible. The "oddest" groups get eaten first, and the "correct" groups get eaten last.

Also, I hate makingp hone calls. I have no problem talking on the phone if someone calls me first... but I hate making the calls myself. Like someone mentioned with the pizza, I think I'm always afraid that I'm inconveniencing them. This goes for returning them, too... I've been know to call when I know they'll be no answer, because i'd rather talk to the answering machine.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  16. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Feb 3, 2010

forgot to mention these

I don't step on cracks in sidewalks- I'm not superstitious, I do it to keep myself amused. I also skip while not stepping on the cracks, once again to make my journey more interesting. :)

I will run places for no reason other than I have an unusual amount of energy.

17. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 3, 2010

When I talk to myself, I use a special name!

And I can't stand talking on the phone, unless it is my DH, DD, or sister.

I also count stairs! I thought I was alone in the world . . .

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 3, 2010

JustMe - I also have the long conversations in my head. I also have a steady stream of WORDS going on at all times. All my thoughts are in words. It gets very exhausting! Some people think in pictures, others think in words.

19. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 3, 2010

I think this is the most fascinating thread I've read in awhile! :p

I have to sleep with one leg out of the covers.

The first thing a do when I walk into a house (even someone else's house) is wash my hands.

I break off pieces of a sandwich instead of picking it up and eating it.

I drink out of plastic cups at home-I just don't feel like glasses ever get really clean-bad for the environment I know.

I actually have an alias that I use just for the heck of it sometimes-when you have to leave your name somewhere.

I have to join the talking-to-yourself club. Mine isn't so much reviewing conversations I've had (although I do that) I often rehearse things I'm going to say. In the car at least it could look like I was singing tot he radio.

I have this completely ridiculous fear of secretly being taped, like even in my house (why anyone would want such a boring life on tape is beyond me). I think I've seen to many tv shows where that's happened.

I hate to have my picture taken.

I have to go in the same door I came out of.

20. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2010

I can't stand having my toes touch so when I accidentally think about my toes, I spread them apart then get mad at myself for thinking about them!

I always have to hang hangers back in the closet when I get dressed in the morning no matter if I'm running late or not otherwise I think I'll jinx my day with bad luck.

I have to sleep with blankets up to my ears no matter how hot it is.

I worry about bills even though I have more than enough money nowadays...it's left over from my poor days of long ago.

I have to put up the car visor when I get out or else I will convince myself I'll have bad luck.

I have to put everything back in it's place in my bedroom or else I will convince myself I will have bad luck.

I am severely grossed out by buttons..on anything...even other people. Yuck!

21. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Feb 3, 2010

Oh this is me, me, me! I absolutely hate my food to touch and can often not eat things if they have touched one another. Especially if they are foods that have tastes that don't "go together". For example I had to waste my favorite Christmas food this year (yummy buttery rolls) because the "green stuff" (that's what my family calls it...it's sort of a whip cream type dessert) got all over my rolls and that's just plain disgusting.

I've been this way as long as I can remember. I used to have divided plastic plates when I was little and I still have them in my cabinet now to pull out if there's ever a food I'm eating that's a danger to leak onto other foods.

That's really my only main quirk I can think of now. I also can only have toliet paper and paper towels going over but I tend to think nearly everyone has a strong opinion on that.

22. Iluvkids

Iluvkids Rookie

Feb 8, 2010

I count steps too. And I don't step on cracks when I walk.

I have to rub my feet together as I'm falling asleep. It stems from having horrible feet causing me leg and foot pains when I was little. I would rub my legs together and on the bed to stop the pain and now it's a comforting thing.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them now.