What are some quirks you have?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 1, 2010

I think these will be funny to read. A few of mine:

* I have chapstick everywhere....bedside table, desk, car, kitchen, by the TV, in the bathroom, etc

* I live alone, yet buy 3 types of milk - skim, 1% and 2% because I like different milk for cereal, coffee and drinking :lol:

* I call my students "my muffins." I have other teachers saying it now

3. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Feb 1, 2010

I call my students "my chickens". I tell them that I don't like them to be too far away because they are my little chicks. I'm their "momma hen".

I rhyme a lot. And say weird things to my students like - "Quick quack quickity quack" if I want it done fast.

Something strange is "weirdo buh-deir-doh".

I am weird about my food. I like to eat my food rather than eat out. I eat the same things everyday. Like oatmeal for breakfast and soup for lunch and sometimes soup for dinner too! I make a whole pot and eat, eat, eat it til it's gone.

There is more... I'll have to think of it!

4. Teaching_101

Teaching_101 Companion

Feb 1, 2010

I can't have a lot of metal in my mouth. We have a section of miniature forks and spoons in our kitchen drawer to accommodate my weirdness.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2010

This is one of those questions that someone else needs to answer for us because so often we don't recognize some of our quirks. :)

Similar to PF, I have Carmex and ponytail holders within reach of anywhere I'm sitting. Seriously.

I eat my candy such as Skittles and M&Ms one color at a time... leaving my favorite for last. I also prioritize my food and save my favorite dish for last, and I create one giant, perfect bite for the grand finale.

I listen to one song on repeat for an hour solid. Right now: Kelly Clarkson's "Already Gone".

I'm very particular about how groceries are arranged. Well, everything for that matter. My husband buys Sam's Choice bottled water each week (while we recycle, this is an ongoing debate as I don't like how wasteful it is...but I digress) and the top shelf of the fridge is devoted for the water bottles which must be turned all the same direction. I was a great grocery stockgirl. ;)

I love peeling off mascara! I really do love it. Ahhhh.

There is a perfect ratio of regular cereal bits and marshmallow bits and to arrive at that "sweet spot" each morning I pick out the excess regular cereal bits and leave them for my husband.

Someone mentioned silverware...how in the world can people live without an organizer for their silverware!? My mom doesn't use one and it drives me insane! (Not to mention it makes me nervous because although she can't see she puts spoons, forks, and all-out knives in the same drawer all loosey-goosey.) Okay, so that's not a quirk, but still.

I'll probably think of more when others post...

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 1, 2010

Fun thread! The only things I can think of now are:

- I can't get by in the house w/o having paper towels. I keep a roll in almost every room of the house.

- I've slept EVERY night in my bedroom w/ my door closed. If it's not closed, it feels like something's off.

- I use post-it notes daily!

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 1, 2010

• I cannot simply sit still. I must be reading, listening to talk radio or doing something to keep my mind stimulated.
    • If a knife is pointing toward me, even if it's on the counter away from the edge, I freak out and have to gingerly turn it before I can put it away.
    • I don't like ordering pizza over the phone because I feel like a bother. Ordering pizza online is no problem.

8. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Feb 1, 2010

My closet must be organized by type of shirt and then by color. It drives my hubby crazy!!!!!!!!!! Think tank tops at one end (in color order: red, orange, pink, etc), then short sleeve shirts (casual not dress). I think you get the idea...

My toilet paper must be over not under the roll.

9. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Feb 1, 2010

:eek: <-- would most likely be your face if you saw my closet. LOL. My boyfriends stuff is on one side, my stuff is on the other. BUT most of our clothes at the moment are either on the closet floor, or our living room couch.... :lol: Actually... I find my clothes better if they are like that :blush:

The only one I can think of right now is: the containers in the cabinet have to be organized by shape and size and the lids have to be next to the container they go to. :dizzy: My boyfriend did the dishes yesterday-- lets just say most of them fell out of the cabinet b/c he threw them in there! :mad::dizzy:

10. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Feb 1, 2010

My towels and washcloths must be folded the same way and all facing the same way. Doesn't bother me with my jeans or shirts.
    The sheets with flowers must go on the bed so that the root of the flower faces the foot and the bloom faces the head of the bed. Drives my hubby crazy because he says there isn't a difference.
    If I get out of bed in the night to go to the restroom or check on the kids, I have to face the other way when I get back into bed.
    I can't lay on a pillow facing the open end of the pillowcase.
    I can't stand the sound of smacking gum - drives me up the wall.

My hubby is the weird one :). I'm allowed to put up grocercies because I don't put them in the pantry with all the labels facing the same way.
    All the hangers on his side of the closet must match and all the clothes must face the same way and be one finger's width apart.
    My son is slightly freaked out when his food touches other food on the plate. I guess he loves school lunch because the trays have separate spots for the different food. I cook lots of casseroles and he doesn't appreciate those.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 1, 2010

I have to blow in glasses when I take them out of the cabinet. I'm always afraid there will be dust in the bottom, and it will get into the liquid I pour into them. Even if they are stored upside down.

I'm very particular about my organizing as well. My pantry has sections, and I HATE when they merge. Even my spices are alphabetized along the inside of the doors. My closet is also organized by type/color. I refuse to put away dh's clothes because I can't figure out his system and it bothers me. Everything is in a plastic, labeled shoebox and can be found in about 10 seconds when I need it. I think that comes from moving so often.

I will only drink 2% milk from my fridge that has an orange or blue cap. No red/yellow/etc. And NO paper or glass cartons (which is sad, because I love the look of the glass cartons).

When the timer goes off, dh always calls out 'phone!' because it sounds like a phone ringing. I can't get the items out of the oven/microwave until he says it now. ;)

I have to have something under my arm when I fall asleep. Right now it's a huge fleece blanket.

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 1, 2010

I thought I was the only one.

I am obsessed with office supplies. Sticky notes, pens with diff color ink, markers, etc. If its no longer perfect (like fine tip markers that start to get thinker) I give them away to students and buy new ones. I won't use any office supplies that are dirty.

I tilt or shift things so that they are not perfectly straight. Most OCDish people must have it straight, I need it not straight.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2010

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 1, 2010

I can't end a meal on sweet. The last thing I eat during a meal must be salty.

15. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 1, 2010

I laughed so hard when I read this one. HHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 1, 2010

This reminds me-I like to end numbers on a 7 or 2. Like when warming stuff up in the micro, I would use 57 seconds instead of a minute. Or 27 seconds.

17. upstatenytchr

upstatenytchr Rookie

Feb 1, 2010

Dirty dishes freak me out...I've been known to start a few just as dinner is being served...

18. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Feb 1, 2010

-I always have a ponytail holder around my wrist, even when I get my hair cut to where it's too short for a ponytail
    -I have to sleep facing "out", meaning I don't face my husband. I may roll over in the middle of the night or something, but when I'm falling asleep, I have to be facing out
    -I can't stand it when the desks in my classroom get cluttered. I always straighten them before I leave each day.
    -As soon as I get out of the shower and wrap a towel around myself, I HAVE to Q-tip my ears. I can't wait, it has to be done right then!
    -I prioritize my food, too! The best always gets saved for last. I also hate it when 2 wet foods or a wet and a dry food mix. I know it all ends up in the same place, but still!

19. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Feb 1, 2010

I have to sleep with a floor fan on, for white noise. I also have to sleep with my head at the foot of our bed. My DH snores and I can't stand having him that close to me.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2010

I always smell my food before I take the first bite. Honestly, I know what a pb&j sandwich smells like, but I still sniff it. I try to be discreet.

When I eat anything that comes in a bag, like chips, I have to open the top of the bag and then tear it down the back so that it opens flat. When I eat candy bars that come in segments, I have to break the bar into those segments before opening the package. You'll never see me taking a bite out of a Hershey bar.

Whenever someone says something that is a line in a song (or close to one), I finish singing the song. If someone says, "Okay, we're leaving," you'll hear me sing "on a jet plane. I don't know when I'll be back again."

I hate feet. GROSS.

In my head I say "That's what she said!" or "If you know what I mean!" all the time after someone says something that amuses me. It's really difficult for me not to laugh out loud when my students say something that leads into one of those phrases. "Miss, I didn't bring any pencils to class, but I do have a pen." ("If you know what I mean.") I would never say that sort of thing out loud at school. I don't want to get fired....

I always like to tell people when something comes from a Latin word, which is pretty frequent. People get soooo sick of it. I won't stop. :)

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 1, 2010

I have a clock and a box of tissues in every room in the house. I have chapstick, lotion, and reading glasses in almost every room.

I eat my foods one at a time, and I always eat my least favorite item first.

I can't just sit and do nothing. My DH and MIL can sit for HOURS and do nothing other than watch television. I would lose my mind. That's why I have to have popcorn at the movies . . . it gives me something to do.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 1, 2010

Most of the time I don't want dessert because I don't like ending a meal with sweet in my mouth. When I do have dessert, I'll save a bit of something salty from the meal to eat afterward. I've even been known to pour some salt into my hand and eat that.

23. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2010

When I sit down to eat, I have to have all the silverware set around the plate - even lunch at school with disposables.
    When I go upstairs to the office, I can't go back downstairs the same way. I have to make a circle and go down a different flight of stairs.
    Skittles one flavor at a time.
    I have to shake a milk carton before I pour it.

24. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2010

When I asked my husband this question about me, he almost died laughing and said he was too smart and married too long to even attempt to answer this question because no matter what he said I may not like it. When I read everyone's answers, I don't think I have any o.c.d. quirks like that - but I may be not admitting it to myself?!?! One thing I can think of is I HATE to be late so I am often early.

25. JustJim

JustJim Companion

Feb 1, 2010

When I conduct workshops and such, I often find myself sitting tailor-fashion on top of the highest horizontal surface I can find--table, bookshelves, etc--rocking back and forth, while delivering content and answering questions. I do that sometimes in classrooms, but the little ones just think it is a game Mr. JustJim is playing.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2010

I also shake the jug furiously before I pour milk into my cereal. My husband just shakes his head every time I do it. For me, it stems from growing up on a dairy farm...we had to stir the fresh milk before drinking, so it's something I just haven't been able to stop. :)

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2010

JustJim reminded me...I must, and I mean must, sit in the back right corner of a room. Talk about uncomfortable if I can't. I still remember getting to the testing site for my Praxis extremely early to get my seat, only to learn they sat you alphabetically. I begged like an idiot to "have my needs accomodated" with no such luck.

28. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 1, 2010

Three is a good number to count. I count things in threes. If I do something wrong the first time, I must do it three times to "fix" it.

Three is not a good number to wake up on.

Times ending in 0 or 5 are the best for waking up (5 is the most even uneven number)

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2010

That's funny...reminds me of Robert on Everybody Loves Raymondin how he has the habit of touching his food to his chin first. :haha:

30. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 1, 2010

Cassie, I *constantly* say "That's what she said" to everything. I'm also really bad at "your mom..."

I meow when I'm stressed. It's just a little meow. Sometimes I don't even realize I've done it.

I have to sit facing the door when I'm in a room (at home, my classroom, in a restaurant).

I still sleep with a giant teddy bear.

Oh, I'm the opposite of the salty eaters. I have to end with something sweet.

31. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 1, 2010

I must have a glass of water near me AT ALL TIMES. I have been known to panic if I wake up in the middle of the night and my water is gone. Like severe, screaming panics. I'm like the little girl on Signs.

When we wash our sheets, I must make the bed, with all the pillows perfectly stacked, before we can get into it, even if it is time to go to bed. That drives my dh NUTS.

I replay conversations in my mind after they are finished. I re-say what each party said, and usually try to figure out what I could have said better, even if it was just a casual, nothing conversation.

This is probably the strangest. When speaking, or listening to someone speak, I count out the syllables on my fingers, and I must end on an end finger (pinkie or index). If not, I replay the conversation and do it differently. Weird.

32. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 1, 2010

Bandnerd, I wish we lived closer to each other, I just know we'd be friends.

33. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Feb 1, 2010

I hate taking the milk at the bottom of the milk carton.

34. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Feb 1, 2010

I am the same way. :lol:

I have to sweep the floors every day because I like to walk barefoot but I don't like to feel any dirt or dust under my feet. Often times the kitchen gets swept several times a day.

35. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 1, 2010

Hawkeye!!!!!!!!

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2010

Um, we're a bunch of weirdos. :)

Something that I do that isn't so much a quirk but something that irritates me terribly at times is...well, I guess it boils down to having an overactive imagination? Here's what happens. This might happen at any hour of the day, but especially while driving and while in bed. I have these very detailed, long, drawn-out conversations with people in my head. It's as though I'm dreaming in regards to how realistic they are, but I'm absolutely, positively not. Often, while in bed, it's school related. I have students come up to me at my desk asking questions and whatnot, and I tell them that this is all insane, that I can't be having these conversations because I need to get to sleep, but it just won't stop. Then I'll tell them, "Okay, one more question, and this has to stop!"

While driving just today, and I suppose this played out in my head because of the Miss America thread this weekend, I was on the pageant stage answering questions...the characters speak to me and I speak to them.

I've shared this on A to Z before..I find myself playing a QVC host or a cooking show host. It's crazy! I'll just pull off a ring and give it an item number, take phone calls from the testimonial line...crazy! :lol:

At some point I just shake my head back to reality and think of how crazy I am. Or maybe I'm not. But I've asked a few other people if they do this, because I assumed they did until my husband and I were discussing it and he jokingly said I needed to be evaluated, but no else acts as though they know what I'm talking about.

37. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2010

I do the SAME THING!!!

Very often my conversations happen with former friends or ex-boyfriends. :eek:hmy:

38. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2010

One more thing is that I can't eat leftovers that have been in my fridge for more than one day. I just imagine everything crawling with bacteria. Gross.

I check expiration dates on everything, and I won't eat it if it's expired, even if it's just by a day and something staple-y like dry rice or something. Can't do it.

39. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Feb 2, 2010

I thought of another...

I can't stand water in my ears. I guess it stems back to childhood baths. EVERY time I take a shower, I hold my ears while washing out my shampoo/conditioner. And if I take a bath, I have to hold my ears before I dunk my head under.

At school I always touch the door before I turn the knob to open it. I got shocked one winter and so now it's habit.

I make my students keep their tables on a line. They're like - what line?! I freak out if one end of the table is on the line and the other is off the line.

40. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2010

Many of mine were mentioned:

~DVDs and books MUST be in alphabetical order at all times (books by author then title, movies by title)
    ~I hate touching wet things (dishes, the newspaper on a rainy day, etc...) I hate getting in the shower if someone already has showered and it is wet. I can not brush my teeth with a wet toothbrush.
    ~My food can not touch. I will sometimes put things on my plate one thing at a time (or use multiple plates). If using the same plate, I will take a napkin and wipe it off. The only exception is mashed potatoes and corn- I mix them.
    ~I also eat things one color at a time (M&Ms, Starburst, etc...)
    ~I have to hold something when I sleep. I have a bunny that is perfect and I usually sleep with it. If I go somewhere I will ball us a sweatshirt but I will not sleep as well.
    ~I take my pillow with me on trips.
    ~I don't sleep in hotel rooms because I have germ phobia. I also hate brushing my teeth and showering. I always bring a new toothbrush for trips and throw it away when I leave.
    ~I HATE using silverware at restaurants or someone else's house. Germ thing again. My sister used to turn the garbage disposal on with silverware in it when she was little (not intentionally, but somehow she did it all the time). She ruined all of my mom's silverware. So, my mom bought silverware from an estate sale (so she didn't care if my sister ruined them). There are still several pieces around, and I will dig through the silverware (or even get out plastic) to avoid eating with 'the dead man's fork'. To this day!
    ~The desks in my room are all the same height. I can't stand when they don't line up. They have to be straight, too.
    ~I alphabetize student's papers when I grade them. I can't grade them until they are in ABC order.
    ~I don't drink milk at all. I only use it for cooking or cereal. I will not use anything besides whole milk- even though I technically do not consume it.
    ~I have a whole list of things that have to be a certain brand for me to eat it (like Kraft cheese slices, Heinz ketchup, etc...)

I know there are more, but they escape me at the moment.

41. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 2, 2010

I often talk to myself. I prefer to call it "thinking out loud". :lol: I do find it helps me organize my thoughts if I say them out loud sometimes.

I like to talk with a British accent - a kick I got on in college while watching Benny Hill and Monty Python. Most of the students get a kick out of it too, but I had two during my internship that hated it. And, yes, I do sometimes use the British accent even when thinking out loud.

I categorize rather than alphabetize. My DVDs are sorted according to types of movie; superhero, action, Pixar, fantasy, etc. If I have movies and their sequels (such as the Star Wars movies), then those do have to be in order - first to last.

Like Cassie753, I tend to associate things people say with lyrics from songs or lines from movies. Most of the references I make are totally lost on my kids. :rolleyes:

I sometimes give people "nicknames" based on their real name or something they do: Some examples

1) Lisa Green - Elizabeth Emerald
    2) William Fields - Billy Meadows
    3) Dick Hertz (a "trick" name students sometimes put on sign-in sheets) - Richard RentaCar
    4) Tony Trumpet - our Minister of Music. His name is Anthony and he often plays his trumpet during worship songs.

I will also use "opposite" names and did this sometimes during my internship.

1) Long becomes Short
    2) White becomes Black
    3) Little becomes Big

Also, I LOVE 80's music. You name a song, I can probably name the group or artist. :blush: