What are some of your favorite easy meals to make?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Dec 3, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Dec 3, 2008

I'm asking for a crock pot for Christmas but until then, I'd like to hear what other people eat for a typical dinner including sides to get some new ideas!

3. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 3, 2008

Spaghetti with meatballs using frozen meatballs. I throw that in a fry pan and simmer with some Ragu and voila! Quick and easy meal.

I also like to do fajitas -- I always cut up the chicken and bell peppers the night before and then it's just a matter of cooking them up and adding a seasoning packet.

I love my crock pot for meals too. I like throwing together chili in the morning and coming home to a finished meal at the end of the day. And of course, chicken noodle soup is great when you simmer the chicken and veggies all day and then cook the noodles in when you get home. Throw in a tossed salad and some french bread and you have a great winter dinner.

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Dec 3, 2008

How do you prepare your chili? :)

5. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Dec 3, 2008

Ramen noodles soup...drop them in hot water, put in soup mix, and voila! in 5-7 mins all done.

I like to make spaghetti and tuna...kinna like a tuna casserole.

Corn beef with spaghetti

Tin meats like sardines and mackerels

Fried Roti, plantains, and kool-aid.

123Easy mix muffin mix with sausages.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2008

Linguine & Clam Sauce - takes about 2 minutes!

1 28 oz. can of Italian “Recipe Ready” Chopped Tomatos
    Bring to a gentle simmer
    Add:
    1-2 diced fresh Jalepeno Peppers
    1 can chopped Clams with the Juice
    Gently Heat and Serve over Linguine

* This is really good leftover the next day - but the heat from the peppers builds, so use only 1 pepper if you make this ahead of time.

7. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Dec 3, 2008

Make meals???? I don't understand those words :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I bought a crock pot/slow cooker cookbook...it is sitting on my counter collecting dust...the same as the cookware, the crockpot, other cookbooks, utensils...(actually, those are all hidden. The cookbooks are out so at least I look like I cook).

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 4, 2008

Pasta with Tomatoes

Cook pasta. While it cooks, open and drain one standard can (are they 14.5 oz these days?) of diced tomatoes.

When the pasta is done, drain it and add the tomatoes, some fresh/dried/frozen basil, and a couple ounces of cream. Stir well and serve.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 4, 2008

Chicken and Pasta: Sautee diced chicken breast in olive oil, basil, garlic, onion, parsely and oregano until chicken is done. In a different pot (but at the same time) cook pasta of your choice (I like bow tie). Toss the pasta with the chicken, making sure to lightly coat the pasta with the olive oil. If you want, you can add brocoli to the chicken while it's cooking (add it right after the outsides turn white).

Tuna Casserole: Cook egg noodles, then drain. Mix them together with a can (or two, depending on how many noodles you make) of tuna and a can of peas and mayo to taste. Serve.

Baked BBQ chicken: Lay out chicken peices of choice in an appropriately sized dish and sprinkle with poultry seasoning. Cover with BBQ sauce, the cover dish with foil. Put it in a 350 degree oven until chicken is done (about an hour). While that is baking you can warm up frozen veggies, make microwave baked potatoes (I poke vent holes in the, put them in a zip-loc baggie that's been mostly closed, then nuke until done) or rice.

Catalina Chicken: Mix together a can of jellied cranberry sauce and a bottle of catalina dressing (you can also add about 1/2 cup of OJ...and the mix will be lumpy). Slice onions so you get rings. Lay out the chicken of your choice in a single layer. Sprinkle poultry seasoning over chicken and place the onions over the top of the chicken. Pour the dressing mix over the chicken. Cover with foil and bake at 350 until done (about an hour). Serve with rice (the sauce makes a great "gravy") and a veggie.

10. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 4, 2008

Shrimp/Chicken Stirfry. I heat some oil in a pan, add the shrimp or chicken. I cook it for a bit with ginger and garlic. Add Frozen stir fry veggies, let that cook, add soy sauce with some water and corn starch. I let it thicken and everything cook, serve over brown rice

11. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 4, 2008

I actually make mine different than a lot of people in that I used cubed pork rather than hamburger. I cube up some boneless pork chops, put them in the slow cooker on high with some cumin and garlic and let them get started cooking while I do my hair, makeup and breakfast. Then, before I take off for school, I add a big can of chili beans (in chili sauce), another small can, a can of black beans and a can of kidney beans (the last 2 being the regular small sized). I then add about a cup of medium salsa, my favorite brand is El Pinto and then let it cook on medium low heat all day. By the end of the day, the pork is falling apart tender and the spices have cooked in nicely. I serve it with warmed up tortillas and sprinkle cheese and sour cream on top. Yum yum! I'm going to have to make some soon...it's cold, cold, cold here and that just sounds good!:lol:

12. iteachbadkids

iteachbadkids Rookie

Dec 4, 2008

Corned Beef Hash & Eggs

I love this stuff. I like to just take a can (or a half can if it's just me) and skillet it until it's almost crisp, and then I put 3 or 6 eggs in the skillet with it and stir it all up until the eggs are fully cooked. Then I like to add shredded cheese and bacon bits and oregano on the top (for taste and to make it look good) until the cheese melts, and then just slide it onto the plate and enjoy. mmmmm....

13. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Dec 4, 2008

My family makes this dish called Johnzetti...
    Cook Noodles and some sausage (seperatly) and then mix it all together with one or two cans of condensed tomato soup. SOOOO Yummy!!!

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 4, 2008

Goop! My dad's famous recipe. Make some ground hamburger, stir into cream of mushroom soup (condensed) and pour over rice. Heavenly.

I also second simple diced tomatoes over pasta, although I add in ground veal and sweet corn. Soooo good.

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 4, 2008

Easy Meal...

Tater Tot Casserole!!! This is my FAVORITE dish.

2 cans of Cream of Potato soup
    1 1/2 pounds of ground beef

Cook for 1 1/2 hours

Add tater tots on top

Cook for 30 minutes

I think those are the right times. Not sure of the temp. I've never made it, but my mom makes it for me sometimes because she knows it's my absolute favorite!!! :)

16. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 4, 2008

Oh my gosh, after reading Jem's post I thought of another one. When we went to Kauai this year I had the most simple but awesome tasting dish...it was called Loco Moco, hehe.

It was a hamburger patty on a bed of rice and gravy with an over-easy egg on top! Soooooo good!

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 4, 2008

I use ground turkey for chili. Peppers, onions, diced tomatoes, spices (chili powder, cumin, black pepper, salt, paprika).

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 4, 2008

Ground veal? I think that automatically moves it out of the "easy" category.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 4, 2008

My grocery store always has ground veal available in the meat case. It might be more expensive than regular meat though.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 4, 2008

It almost certainly is.

21. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Dec 4, 2008

Chicken cutlets- dredge in flour, dip in egg, and coat with bread crumbs. Sautee in a pan in olive oil for a few minutes.

I'll use make a Knorr noodle side dish since it only requires me to do minimal work, and a simple sauteed veggie with olive oil and pressed garlic. Takes less than 15 minutes from start to finish.

22. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 4, 2008

Red Beans and Rice
    Get the rice going
    Brown a pound of hamburg meat, drain

Then I add and simmer for 10 mins:
    a can of kidney beans, drained
    diced onion, browned
    a can of stewed tomatoes
    a can of chili peppers
    a can of tomato paste
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    a few dashes cayenne pepper

it's great over the rice. I add some cheese and sour cream sometimes.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 4, 2008

Oh, I forgot this one....Porcupine Balls....

Mix groundbeef as you would for meatloaf. Roll into meatballs, then roll the balls in parboiled rice (or half-cooked regular rice) until the ousides are covered. Place meatballs in a baking dish, then cover with cream of mushroom soup. Bake until the meatballs are done. You can cover it with shredded cheese in the last 5 minutes if you desire. Serve with more rice (the liquid in the pan makes a good gravy) and a veggie.

24. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 4, 2008

My eyes popped out of my head until I realized we're talking about meatballs! :lol:

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 4, 2008

At least half the fun of that particular dish is the name :D

26. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Dec 4, 2008

We just had this new recipe last night and it was yummy and easy.
    Fiesta Ravioli
    1 package frozen beef ravioli
    1 10oz can enchilada sauce
    8 oz salsa
    2 cups monterey jack cheese
    1 can sliced ripe olives, drained (I skipped these)

Cook ravioli according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine enchilada sauce and salsa. Stir and cook over medium until heated through.
    Drain ravioli and add to sauce. Gently mix together. Top with cheese and olives. Cover and cook over low until cheese is melted.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 4, 2008

Not to be confused, of course, with Rocky Mountain oysters...

28. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 4, 2008

quesidillas

have a pre-cooked chicken, shreaded up, put a tortilla in a frying pan, add chicken, shredded cheddar cheese, and some salsa on top, and then another tortilla, cook, and flip then cook some more.

easy!