What are some major challenges facing special education today?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by newbieteach15, Jan 26, 2015.

1. newbieteach15

newbieteach15 New Member

Jan 26, 2015

Thoughts?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2015

Is this for an assignment? Why not start the conversation by sharing your own thoughts on the topic...

4. newbieteach15

newbieteach15 New Member

Jan 26, 2015

Yes. I'm sorry. I should have specified it more. I just began my SPED program and my professor told us to think about some ideas that we could share to class.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2015

So what have you thought of?

Google 'trends in special education', read some of what you find and then come back and share your thoughts...

6. newbieteach15

newbieteach15 New Member

Jan 26, 2015

I thought of Common Core and how it would be difficult to hold special education students to the same standards as general education students.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

8. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jan 27, 2015

I would say one of the difficulties lie in the implementation of inclusion and the lack of proper training of general education teachers on how to properly serve students with disabilities.

9. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jan 27, 2015

I work with students with profound disabilities. Most of the parents are supportive and understand their child's needs. Sometimes that is not the case. Parents who do too much and the child does not learn independence. In other cases some kids are allowed to do whatever they want at home, no rules, structure, or responsibilities. It's not a hot topic in the news, but definitely one that I see now.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2015

Definitely agree with the implementation of inclusion. I would also add general education teacher attitudes towards inclusion and sped kids.

**I know not ALL general education teachers have a bad attitude towards this population**

11. msleep

msleep Rookie

Jan 27, 2015

too many sped students, too few sped teachers.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 27, 2015

This. Plus Inclusion that isn't really inclusion-when 70% of the class is sped and only 30% that's regular ed (and low regular ed at that).

13. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jan 27, 2015

I teach adult education classes with adults with disabilities. I see the students who have aged out of the school districts. The biggest frustration I have is getting students, parents, and caregivers to think long term. I have many students who have no idea how to use money or how to read or do basic skills like make a phone call. Everything has or is essentially been done for them. So I their mind there is no motivation to learn it. If I could tell a parent or special education student anything I would tell them: YOU NEED TO DEVELOP A LONGTERM PLAN.! What will the student do when parents can't take care of them...what happens if they get sick? Where will they go? My adult students have been taken care of so much that many lack the ability to do things on their own. I worry about the day when their current caregivers are no longer able to look after the . A plan and independent skills is a must!!!

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 27, 2015

I have a child with a 78 IQ, no inclusion support, some accommodations, and has to take the state assessment with two, three, and four step problems. Really. I'm not joking.

That isn't what this baby needs. He needs to work with money, addition and subtraction with regrouping and simple problem solving. After he masters these, then maybe he could work on distributive property math questions.

He works SO hard and he wants to do well. If I had some magic fairy dust, he'd definitely get a few sprinkles.

15. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jan 28, 2015

along with too many students, period, in the class.....a room of 25+ students with quite a few sped kids is entirely too many for anybody.

16. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jan 28, 2015

Yeah that too.....that becomes a self contained room in reality.:eek: