What are some good videos/movies to keep in class?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2007

I just read in the tip thread to keep some video/movies in the classroom in case of a rainy day schedule. So true, so true.... but, what kind of vidoes/movies should I get for this age group? I've taught kinder and have TONS of good disney movies, but I'm not sure what 5th graders would like. I was thinking about getting Kiki's Delivery Service (my all time favoirte cartoon movie), but that's all I can think of.

3. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

Be VERY careful with any Disney movies. A school in my district was fined nearly $7k because some teachers showed it for entertainment.
    I've found the 1st two seasons of "What's New Scooby-Doo" are a big hit with my 5th graders. They're about $15 each at Target. Note that they didn't like the original Scooby-Doo. *sigh*
    Also, Don Bluth films are good (Land Before Time, American Tale, Secret of NIMH, etc.)

4. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

In our school district, all of the video clips or movies are all on video streaming through the district. It has to all be approved through them. We are not allowed to show anything like that.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

Showing Disney movies is not illegal if you can tie your reasons to educational purposes. We "talked" about this a month or so ago on A to Z. In this thread you'll find the links to the law that back that up.

Check it out!

A to Z Disney Movie Thread

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 11, 2007

Peachyness, do you want suggestions for non-academic or academic purposes (or both)?
    I've got some great titles, depending on what you are looking for.;)

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2007

Some that my kids enjoyed--"Holes", "Shiloh" (there's also a "Shiloh 2"), "Fly Away Home".

8. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

How about Akeelah and the Bee, Bridge to Terabithia, Because of Winn Dixie, Holes, Narnia, How to Eat Fried Worms...that's all I can come up with right now off of the top of my head.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

Ah, one at a time. Right now I'm just looking for rainy day videos. :D

I'm confused. Why would a school get fined 7K for showing a video? What loss/damage did they have as a result of teachers showing Disney movies?? I showed movies when we were on rainy day schedule or if it's the last day of school, or if they were tested ALL morning long and they needed a brain break.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

Thanks for the titles Sstager and Mrs. C!!

11. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

OK. If you need any that tie in with the standards, let me know.;)
    We aren't allowed to show entertainment videos (unless it's at recess time).
    I think it just depends on your principal.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

That was me who posted the tip!! :)

Rainy day movies that are good for our grades, 4 and 5- (Ones that have stars are ones my kids actually have seen)
    - Shiloh (there are 3- in addition to #1, there is Saving Shiloh and Shiloh Season, like the books... but I just have one of them)
    - Firehouse Dog (I just got that one for them!)
    - ** National Treasure (My kids LOVED this one last year like no other; NO cursing)
    - ** The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
    - The Ultimate Gift (It's a movie geared toward adults, but there's no cursing. Soon I am purchasing it to see if there are ANY sneaky words in there. It is just a GREAT moral story. Abigail Breslin is in it; they may recognize her.)
    - Holes
    - Remember the Titans (I need to make sure language is ok)
    - ** Because of Winn-Dixie (though they've seen it many times)
    - Everyone's Hero (the baseball one; I REALLY want to get this one)
    - ** A Night at the Museum (Watched on field trip on the bus)
    - Akeelah and the Bee (Slight language? One or two words from what I recall? I need to check with that one.)
    - ** Flushed Away (They liked that one on the field trip on the bus)

Will be great once it's out on DVD-
    - Ratatouille

I would not recommend Bridge to Terabithia only because May Belle says "You'd be forever d-mned to h-ll" in the little philosophical conversation with her, Leslie, and Jess. Then Leslie said the same. It's a great story, but not swift language.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

Though I'm in Florida and can show at any time, I only show mine during recess if it's raining or on a field trip. Other times may be right at Christmas time, after a grueling FCAT morning, or at the end of the year when kids need to relax.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

Wow, that one brings back memories!! You mean the movie with Anna Paquin, right? :) Most kids maybe even haven't seen that one since it is older...

Oh, I forgot Dreamer. That's a good one. :cool:

15. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

Peachyness, we live REALLY close to Disney here, so many of our parents actually WORK for Disney. Anyway, one of the schools was showing a Dsney film for a reward, so Disney fined them for not paying appropriate royalties. Which, if you've ever seen Disney's fees, is something like $1300 for a single showing in a single location. It's a big deal in my district!

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

Actually, you might as well give me some titles. :D That way I can get both lists out of the way.

Thank you!!!

17. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

Here are some good titles to use with Open Court.

Unit1 Cooperation and Competition- (Possibilities are endless)

Unit 2 Astronomy- My kids loved the Magic School Bus Space Videos
    They also LOVED Spacetrekkers (this one has interactive quizzes and the kids really dig it!)
    I just bought Bill NYE Way Out There Outer Space (Haven't viewed it yet, but Bill Nye is usually great)

Unit 3 Heritage- I need a suggestion!

Unit 4 Civil War- The history channel makes a civil war series but my kids didn't like them. Your might.

Unit 5 Westward Movement- My kids Loved the PBS version of Lewis and Clark

For Science:
    Physical Science- Like I said, Bill Nye is great! I would definitely show Chemical Changes and Atoms

Earth Science- I would show Stormchasers it is from the same company that makes Spacetrekkers. Your kids will like it! Very cheap on Ebay.

Life Science- I would show Bill Nye Digestive System. Oh, and you have to get the Magic School Bus For Lunch. After seeing those two, my kids mastered the digestive system. Since we are on the subject of the human body, there is a book that I highly recommend. It's called Easy Make and Learn Projects:Human Body by scholastic. You will not be disappointed!:2up: I also have a series of life science videos from Lakeshore, but I don't remember the titles. When I get back in my room at the end of the month I will let you know the title of the series.

The Bill Nye videos are pretty expensive. I bought mine at various times on Ebay. I think his videos really helped my kids. Especially with Physical Science!

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

Was it one that technically wasn't released yet? Wow.

In similarity, I am not too far from Disney, either, about an hour and a half west on the Gulf Coast.

I have had one student with an uncle, I believe, who worked for Disney.

19. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 12, 2007

For academic videos I just bought the Planet Earth series and love it! I showed some to my students last year and they seemed interested. Also, I like March of the Penguins because it is enjoyable and academic.

Non academic: Ice Age, Shrek, Madagascar

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

Thank you! Our school has a whole area of Bill Nye in the library's movie section for teachers.

I didn't know the kids liked Magic School Bus in the intermediate grades, yet I do teach the digestive system and it would be neat to show both of those videos to get them to understand a great deal more.

I also have a video from Discovery Education about geology. There is a whole part with landslides and this segment when a house crashes down a steep incline. I had two years of classes SCREAMING "OH... MY... GOSH!!!!" through that part. It's actually a really fascinating movie, yet to get it, I purchased the whole $60.00 kit with money I had been awarded by a former parent who entered me in a contest.

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

Spacetrekkers? Hmm. Never heard of that one.

Yikes, I say "Dig it", too. :toofunny:

22. prattmb1

prattmb1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Okay, so this may show how big of a geek I am, but...I really like British TV, so I keep a Season DVD set of Doctor Who in my desk for emergencies. Each episode is 40 minutes long, which is usually the amount of time that I need to kill, and they're aimed at that age group. No swearing, no overt sexual references. There's only one moment that I feel the need to skip over and my students didn't even notice that I did when I did it. My students really get into it, even the bits I thought were dorky.
    This year, I think I may use excerpts from Robin Hood as one of my read alouds, so I may end up buying that shows season 1 DVD too and use that as an alternative.

23. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

YES! Oh if I could only get away with showing Classic Who in class! :wub:

24. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

I was thinking of Panet Earth...how did your kids handle the animals attacking and eating the other animals? I thought some of it was a bit gory, and heaven forbid someoen's parent complains because of it...:rolleyes:

25. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

The funniest thing is I didn't even know I had typed the word dig!:lol:

Spacetrekkers is great. I found it at my local library when I was just browsing the educational videos. My kids loved it so much that I looked it up on ebay. It's really cheap. It retails for 12.00 so you can easily find it on ebay for 10 dollars or so.

I could not believe how much my kids were into Magic school Bus! I am so happy too, because in the video the bus gets swallowed and Mrs. Frizzle and the kids take you on a tour through the digestive system. The video introduces kids to all of our fifth grade vocabulary for digestive system: saliva, esophagus, small and large intestines, etc. (Even villi!)

26. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 12, 2007

Someone mentioned National Treasure with Nicholas Cage-omg-it is sooooooo awesome! My fifth grader LOVES it and can't wait to see the sequel! And-so easy to tie it into American History!

27. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

What about some of the favorites that I grew up watching in the 80's like Reading Rainbow (which I think I will order myself)??? I used to love Reading Rainbow, and it always included reading/literacy which I think any school would be happy to let the kids watch.

28. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

I like 'An American Tail' for Immigration and the sequel for westward expansion. :)

29. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 12, 2007

Dumbdiety (cute name) I like An American Tail, too. The kids really like the sequel.

What about Second Hand Lions?

30. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 12, 2007

For the American Revolution I used a cartoon series called Liberty's Kids (the Boston Tea Party and another one about the Declaration of Independence) that my kids really liked. I also got the PBS program "Liberty! The Revolution"... it's a bit dry, but when used in tandem with Liberty's Kids it gives them a more realistic understanding through historians and actors who dress as and quote historical figures. We've also used Planet Earth.. awesome stuff! And they think Beakman's World is totally crazy but interesting.

For fun, my kids liked Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, Series of Unfortunate Events, Shrek 1 & 2, Nightmare Before Xmas and Elf. I also brought in Wallace and Gromit and some of them got into that. I found a DVD set of the Nickelodeon series the Adventures of Pete & Pete and I'm looking for the show Are You Afraid of the Dark? to tie into our mystery unit. Any good mystery movies anyone can think of? I haven't seen Harriet the Spy, would that be good?

31. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

WOW!!! Great list here! I LOVE LOVED LOVE Reading Rainbow. They have new espisodes now too. I will make a list and start scoping out the video stores and ebay. Thank you.

Keep them coming.

32. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

Remember the Titans is a great movie when studying the Civil Rights Movement, but it's got some pretty rough sections. We always have to send home a parent permission slip to see it, and no one has objected so far.

33. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 13, 2007

I just purchased "High School Musical" DVD set. The bonus DVD teaches some dance steps.

34. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 14, 2007

Regarding the Planet Earth, I watched all of them before I showed them to my students. If they were too gory I didn't show them. There were only maybe two or three that I couldn't show. If there was an animal that died but they didn't show how I just explained to the kids the "circle of life"

My students really liked some of them, especially the one about the ocean. A lot of them had already seen some with their parents so I knew that I would be ok.

35. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 15, 2007

http://www.pbs.org/

You might find something interesting here. These can be recorded for classroom use. Some block feeds require more DVD expertise than I have so I've made a list of programs I'd like and asked parents to help. I usually have many more volunteers than requests!

36. Hogwarts Alum

Hogwarts Alum Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I also love keeping "The Phantom Tollbooth" around, it is just filled with alliteration, figurative language math and science and it is pretty funny. Harriet the Spy is great too, because it discussed friendships and things our students may be going through.
    We have also watched The Night at the Museum, although it is PG-13, we quickly realized why, someone flips someone else "the bird" -- suffice to say, we won't be showing that one again!

37. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

Johnny Termain (Disney Movie, about american revolutionary war, boston tea party)

Eight Below (Disney)

Eddie Fischer (chess player's life)

38. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

Why would a teacher be fined for showing Disney movies as opposed to any other company's? That's just absurd. I am glad my district isn't ridiculous like that.

If you are looking for movies in case your kids are stuck inside for recess or just to have for parties, etc. consider these:

Finding Nemo
    The Incredibles
    The Indian in the Cupboard
    Cirque du Soleil - La Nouba