What are some consequences for the whole class?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 17, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

I'd like to know some consequences if the whole class is being disruptive and not following your directions?

What works best for elementary students besides talking to them about what they're doing?

3. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

That all depends on division policy. I can keep kids in at break, I can remove their recess privileges, which I know a lot of teachers can't. I can also keep them in at lunch (as long as I let them eat, which to me is obvious). I remove "fun" activities, such as science experiments, role playing games and basically anything that is interactive - computer time is a big one.

4. lilygirl

lilygirl Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

First Grade

In first grade, I have the letters RECESS up on the corner of the board in semi-large letters on magnets. Each letter of the word RECESS stands for five minutes of recess time. Each time the students as a class break a rule (too noisy, etc) I take away one letter, which means they lose five minutes of recess time. Not to worry though, I really never take any time away. Thank goodness they can't tell time yet, or if they can, they don't have watches....I am a believer in recess and I would never take it away, but at this age, recess is what they value, and you have to have ammo!!
    At recess time, if they have lost any time due to behavior as a class, we sit and talk about what we did wrong, and how we can improve tomorrow. Then we line upn and have fun!:blush:

5. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

Great idea -- and a good way to make use of their "ignorance" about telling time :haha:

6. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

We can't take recess away here....but no one said it had to be a fun time, so the kids who misbehave have to run laps or walk laps.

I've also had silent lunch too. And they stay quiet with the AP standing there glaring at them!

And heads down on the table....late 5 minutes to fine arts.

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

I take away recess time or at least give the threat (once done a couple times the threat alone works). I have found that using fingers to show the number of minutes lost is very effective in getting the message to the whole class. I also take away calm down time after recess (they get to silently do something of their choice for a few minutes). I have taken away big chunks of Friday time; I don't like doing that because it is usually the most problematic children who can put play to the most use in learning social skills. If you use PAT then there is built in consequences because they lose time from the game time earned.

8. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 24, 2008

We can't take away recess either here but like Trinda - fun time at recess can be taken away.

I've used silent lunch as well, lunch with me in the room, etc

9. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I am cautious about mass punishment. I don't think it is fair to the ones who do follow instructions.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2008

When my class gets that way, we go back over the rules & practice them again.

11. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Aug 25, 2008

We're not "allowed" to punish the group which can be really frustrating when the whole group is acting up. I make them stay after class, after a while just turning around to look at the clock gets them all to quiet down. 8th graders don't even want to lose 15 seconds of their free time!