What are some activites to help with speech

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Mar 2, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Mar 2, 2017

I have a student in my classroom that has a slow tongue.He slurs a lot of his speech and often it is hard to understand him. Being that he has bad speech, he has a really hard time with letter recognition. I know he is capable of learning his alphabet and sounds because he hears the sound when ever I say the sound of a letter, but he just can not identify the letter without hearing the sound first.
    He's very smart with numbers and is able to identify numbers 1-13 with no problem.He is also able to put them in order.
    His speech is lacking. What can I do? He starts Kindergarten in August. Eventually the school will Identify this problem and sign him up for speech therapy.

3. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Mar 5, 2017

He will probably get speech therapy when he moves up to K. I teach 3-5 yr olds. English is a 2nd/3rd language for most of the children. What I do is have them look at my mouth and exaggerate the sounds. I point out where my lips, teeth, and tongue go for each sound.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  4. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Mar 5, 2017

Hi thanks a lot! Friday I did the same thing and it seems to be helping. I will start by going over at least 3 letters a week or until he gets those letters for more practice

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2017

And keep in mind that speech is developmental. There are some speech articulations that don't 'lock into place' until kids are older. Model model model correct speech and grammar

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Mar 8, 2017

Are you in a private school or does your school just not offer speech therapy for preschoolers?
    I work in Head Start and the public school district provides speech therapy for our kids, which is GREAT. This population does have more speech problems due to the environment they grow up in.
    One thing our SLP does is work on actual words, not just letter sounds.
    For example, one week they will work on words that begin with ST, and they have to say the words and do an activity that goes along with them
    Star, Stop, Stairs, Steak
    Each child has different needs obviously so she individualizes depending on what they need help on.
    If they're fine with "St-" words, but have trouble with closing the ends of words, she will focus on making sure they make the ending sound of words instead
    forK, doG, beD, etc.

7. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Mar 19, 2017

I teach preschool special education and many of my students receive speech therapy for either expressive/receptive language delays or articulation.

First, Letter recognition shouldn't be affected by articulation errors. You might just have a student that is unintelligible and happens to not be able to identify the alphabet yet.

Second, articulation is one of those things that really a trained speech therapist needs to be working on. Even in the school system, we don't do RTI for articulation. We model, sabotage the environment, use hand motions paired with the letter sounds, etc.. but this child needs to be referred to the school system for evaluation. Waiting until kindergarten isn't necessary (or helpful for the child).