What are my must do's to put in cover letter?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Feb 28, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2010

And what are my may dos? I am getting so confused as to what should be in there, what is the tone of the letter, what can I say in the letter to stand out and highlight my strengths? Any help on this "cover letter" issue will be appreciated. Thanks.

:help: :dizzy: :help: :dizzy: :help:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2010

When I was the one reading the cover letters, here's what I hated: a letter chock full of all the latest buzzwords. Letter after letter full of the same handful of phrases, indistinguishable from each other except for the phone number.

What intrigued me were the letters that were about the person applying for the job. A concrete example or two of a success the person had, no matter how small. Something that made me smile because I could visualize it happening.

So tell me about how the kid you student taught FINALLY remembered 7 x 6. Or about how adeptly you dealt with the kid who had a nosebleed the first day you student taught. But don't tell me about how fantastic you are at dealing with "multilple intelligences." Because I'm going to assume that your letter is the same as every other person who Googled the same letter.

4. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Feb 28, 2010

I think it's important to include why you think THAT specific school would be a good fit for you. For EACH cover letter, I would suggest checking out the school website and finding a couple of things (curriculum, extra curriculars, school events, student population, field trips, anything....) that connects with you! Write about why you would be a GREAT addition to that school and how you would like to LEARN more... I think it shows a little extra effort and interest in that school and makes your cover letter a bit more unique. Best of luck to you!

5. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2010

So the cover letter should be more personal and directed to the person in charge of hiring? Each district should have its own personal letter? Any suggestions on how long it should be? Thanks.

6. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Feb 28, 2010

In my humble opinion, your cover letter should be one page and your resume one page..not more....

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2010

Yes on both: personalized and not more than a page.