What are my chances of getting a job in the grade I want to teach?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Cward7, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Cward7

Cward7 Rookie

Jan 21, 2006

Hello Everyone!

I am a student in the Teacher Education Program. I will be starting my Student Teaching in a few Semesters. So far I have had all of my lab experiences in a Kindergarten classroom which I absolutely love. What are my chances of going into a Kindergarten Classroom when I get a job?

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2006

Student teach at a school/district you want to work.

4. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Jan 22, 2006

It really depends on the district. Your chances would be higher if they had a lot of positions available. One of my co-workers held out for kindergarten. She didn't get her top choice in schools but got her desired grade level. Personally I would get experience in more than one grade level to get experience just in case. A lot of my friends wanted 2nd but ended up in 4th and 5th. Good luck!

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 22, 2006

You may luck out and get the grade you didn't want, too, which could be great! I left college and student teaching knowing that I didn't want any grade above 2nd. I wanted to be the sweet spoken, loving teacher that got the little ones to love school. I got 4th when I was hired. I was told that one of the first grade teachers would be leaving the next year and that I would have a chance for her slot. Well, I never looked back. I absolutely loved teaching 4th grade. It was so much different than I thought it would be. Now I can't imagine teaching the little ones. Keep an open mind as you go in and you may find yourself in the perfect grade, even if it wasn't your plan to begin with. Good luck!!!

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 22, 2006

I totally agree with ChristyF. I went into school thinking that I will teach Kg. or 1st grade. My first student teaching position was 5th grade - I loved it. I then went into a 1st grade class - I loathed it. I then had another 5th grade class and loved it even more. When I graduated I got a sp.ed. pre-k job. I thought I would hate it, but I loved it. I have now had teaching experience in Kg. 1st and 2nd grade - loved them all and I presently can't see me in the upper grades. I have learned that at least in my experience you learn to love the grade you teacher (you may not like certain students or co-workers, but the grade - YES). Just go in with an open mind.:)

7. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jan 22, 2006

I teach kindergarten and most days love it. From talking to co-workers and friends in the field I would say go with any grade in a school where you will be happy rather than wait for a specific grade at a school you either may not like or know nothing about. Personally, just being in a school for the last year and a half with a principal who is kind, supportive, and a great leader has been the best thing about my first teaching job. I wanted first grade but what if I had first but had an awful principal or non-supportive staff?? I think the school is more important than the grade. Plus most schools will let you move grades if you are around a while and need a change.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 22, 2006

I agree with what others have said. Sometimes you may be surprised at the grades you end up loving. Getting the grade level that you want really depends on the district and the need in that particular area. I know that in my area, the younger grades are the most difficult to get and people that are licensed in elementary many times end up getting waivers to teach in the middle schools at first because it's easier to get jobs there. Just be open, take what you can get at first and who knows, you may end up loving a grade that you didn't expect to....and if you don't, you can always try to move to kindergarten later.

9. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jan 22, 2006

When I was in school I *knew* I wanted 2nd grade. I did my student teaching in 2nd, all my materials were 2nd... then I got hired to teach K-8 technology and LOVED it. It was a great "first year" because I got to sample all the grades in the computer lab.

Now I teach Kindergarten and love it. I'm not sure if I'd want to go up to 2nd again!

Life will help you go to where you will have your best success!

Kelly
    mrsmikesell.com

10. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jan 22, 2006

My suggestion would be that you don't limit yourself. I have always wanted to work in the lower elementary grades. I taught K and 2nd and did a long term sub in third. I enjoyed all three grades. Since I was Early Childhood certified, I only subbed in the lower elementary grades and was told that was one of the reasons I was not hired for a permanent position.

11. Cward7

Cward7 Rookie

Jan 22, 2006

Thanks for the great advice everyone!