What are literacy materials?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by crazigirl80, Apr 8, 2005.

1. crazigirl80

crazigirl80 Rookie

Apr 8, 2005

I am working on a project and I have to list literacy materials that I use... what are these?

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 8, 2005

Hmmmm... Could be books, sites, references, teaching books that you've used. Or could be what you plan to use (children's books). I'm not sure. I'd ask professor about this one. What type of project is it? That might help.

4. Margo

Margo Devotee

Apr 8, 2005

Literacy materials would be anything that promotes listening, reading, writing, speaking.

5. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Apr 8, 2005

Margo's right. Literacy materials would be anything that promotes a student to be literate enough it his/her native language to speak and read it.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2005

I would have to include:

a list of great read alouds by theme/purpose

magnetic letters for spelling

letter tiles for 'Making Words' (Patricia Cunningham)

books on tape

word wall

individual word lists

guided reading books

white boards

7. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Apr 8, 2005

Maybe also dictionary, thesaurus, encyclopedia, wide selection of fiction and nonfiction reading materials, leveled readers, basal (textbooks), flip charts, alphabet manipulatives, Big books, assessment resources.

8. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Apr 8, 2005

How about chalkboards in addition to hands-on, interactive things like Leapfrog's Leapster™ Multimedia Learning System and My First LeapPad® Learning System would also be considered Literacy materials. I also think computers would be literacy material since there's software out there that allows for reading programs to assist in the literacy process.

I know czacza mentioned books on tapes, but you can also throw in VHS tapes and DVDs of reading programs too.

Basically, this all comes down to what you use to help the kids succeed at becoming literate in their native language. Things of this nature will vary from teacher to teacher.

9. Margo

Margo Devotee

Apr 9, 2005

It would also help to know what grade level this project is for. That would make a difference as far as the kinds of materials you would use. As camcdade said, encyclopedias and thesaurus' but that would not be appropriate to Kindergarten.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 9, 2005

.... but labels on classroom items would, as well as an alphabet frieze, paper, crayons, markers, anything used for fine motor development ...

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 10, 2005

Any computer programs. We use E-instruction and Knowledge Box on a daily basis. You can manipulate them to fit your needs. Also, any type of technology such as internet, overhead projector...