What are good seeds to plant?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by andi137, Apr 2, 2008.

1. andi137

andi137 Companion

Apr 2, 2008

I am beginning a plant theme with my students in the next couple of weeks and I wanted to plant maybe a flower or something for them to grow in the room and then maybe use it for a Mother's Day present. I am not sure what type of flower or anything. I have been trying to do a little research but I am not coming up with much help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 2, 2008

Maybe some Marigolds would be nice. They are pretty hardy and could stand the trip home without falling apart. There are many varieties so I would get the short variety so you don't end up with a spiney plant.

Another option would be impatiens or however you spell it. They are more colorful.

Whatever you do be careful they don't overwater them! I did and experiment with bean seeds and some just rotted because of overwatering. Luckily I had 6 extra cups that I had started and was able to replace.

Lemon

4. andi137

andi137 Companion

Apr 2, 2008

Thanks I think I might try the Marigolds!!

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 2, 2008

Just be aware that marigolds have an odor when they are grown inside. (That is why they are good to plant around gardens...to keep bunnies and other critters out.)

I personally like to grow Grand Rapids lettuce... though it wouldn't make a good Mother's Day gift. I like it because it has an incredibly short germination time (some seeds take forever to sprout) and we get to eat the lettuce with ranch dressing when we get done! (One of our objectives is for students to recognize that the leaves of some plants are food...)

6. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 2, 2008

We made grassheads for the moms. We made a "likeness" of the mother's head and let the grass grow as long as we wanted it to for the hair. Takes about 4-7 days to see the grass begin to sprout.

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 2, 2008

Grass works well. Get solo cups, put some rocks on the bottom, then layer with soil. Finally, pop in the grass seeds and place in a sunny spot.

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 2, 2008

Wow, I was just thinking about sunflowers, in preschool we had lots of luck with sunflowers every year. Let us know what you pick!

9. andi137

andi137 Companion

Apr 2, 2008

Thank you for all the great ideas. I might actually try all these I only have 4 kids full time so it wouldnt be hard to do them all. Thanks again!!!

10. andi137

andi137 Companion

Apr 2, 2008

Well maybe I wont do the marigolds if they do have an odor but I definitely want to try the grass seeds and possibly the sunflowers. Thanks!!

11. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 2, 2008

I do marigolds--they're not too bad, if you keep them by the window and can open it occasionally. . .

12. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 2, 2008

I have done marigolds and not noticed any odor. I am trying sunflowers this year for a change.

13. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Apr 2, 2008

I do marigolds too since they germinate quickly and with reliability. And I know they smell when they get larger but when they're still small you can't tell unless you get down right next to them.

14. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Apr 2, 2008

Hey all!
    I am sort of hijacking the OP's post...I hope they don't mind! I'm also planting with my K class. I was reading the backs of marigolds and sunflowers in the store tonight. It said they need lots of sunlight.
    My problem is that I need a hearty plant that doesn't require a lot of sunlight as I have absolutely no space to put my plants by the windows in my class room.
    I chose beans and squash. I know this isn't a nice flower for mother's day, but does anyone know what success I might have actually getting these to sprout without tons of natural sunlight?

15. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 2, 2008

There are lamps that have "natural" light. Maybe you could find someone that has one. There are also mini green houses. We don't have a lot of room in our classroom, so I bought one of those blue plastic kiddie pools at walmart, put it in a grassy area between the Kdg and media building. I filled the pool with 3 big bags of top soil. Voila! Instant garden. I have some volunteers come in to help begin the plants with the kids, but then I have a science center and the kids use a pass, go observe the plant, and go back inside to record in their science journals. Then if they finish I have books about plants they can browse through.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  16. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 2, 2008

We planted pinto beans earlier in the year. Each kid planted two beans, and most of the kids had at least one sprout.

Not a flower, but a great plant project :)

17. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 2, 2008

I use lima bean or green bean seeds first. We soak them, and put them in baggies with wet paper towels. We close the bags and put up on the windows. When they begin to sprout we transplant the sprout to a planter and put out in our garden. We also do the grass. I think next year if I can get more volunteer help I will also do flowers. I thought about marigolds, but I have a whole BUNCH of zinnia seed packs that a parent donated.

18. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Apr 3, 2008

You can still do the marigold and/or sunflowers if that's what you really want to do. They don't require that much sun to sprout! As a matter of fact when they just begin to sprout you need to mist them lightly so you don't drown them. If they're in a lot of sun they'll dry out quickly. Then you'll spend your day watering plants instead of teaching kids. I plant mine in little cups and take them home on the weekends (or take them to my mom--my parents have a greenhouse business.) That way they get some exposure to sun so they won't burn up when the kids take them home and hopefully plant them.

19. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Apr 3, 2008

Little317,
    I love your idea about the kiddie pool! Unfortunately, we don't have a space for that either. :( Not to mention that the plants would probably get stolen or destroyed because we're not in a super neighborhood. I will look for a natural light though. I got that idea from someone else too.
    I'm glad to hear about the marigolds! I might plant some of those for my kids anyway and then they can just watch the growth.
    I probably should have put our beans in wet paper towels first, but we don't even have that much time. We pretty much have 2weeks to get these things to sprout and then there is something going on every week afterwards so we wouldn't be able to mess with the plants.
    I'm going to plant some more at home just in case someone's isn't sprouting. Then I'll tell them it was a miracle. Who knows, they might believe it...we're a Catholic school! :)

20. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Apr 5, 2008

Hahaha! I thought I was the only one who did that! Since we're doing small seeds we plant 2 or 3 of them. Sometimes I'll get worried a kid is only going to have 1 come up and so I'll transplant another one in their cup and then those last two will sprout! Then, miraculously, they have 4 plants--from only 3 seeds.

21. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 5, 2008

I remember back in elementary school, we grew a watermelon vine. We let ours grow in the classroom for a few weeks, brought it home and planted it in our gardens and could let it grow all summer and have some yummy fruits from it as well (I think that's a very nice gift for a mom too: fresh fruit).

The only problem was that my grandmother thought it was a weed and pulled it out and killed the plant... but had she left it alone we would have gotten some melons. *pouts* lol

22. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 5, 2008

When my new backpacks from Lakeshore come in I am going to have a Planting Pack. In the pack will be lots of literature about plants and seeds. The best part is the kid will have material to plant something. I have thought about carrots, since most of my kids like carrots, but the watermelon sounds cool too.

23. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2008

Zinneas grow well and quickly. They need loads of sunlights and water though. They lean towards the light and when you rotate them, they lean again within an hour. Fun for the kids to watch and underatand the need for light.
    They also are easy to transplant later.

Sunflowers have worked well for me too. They can survive the weekend without water. :D

24. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2008

How about Four O' Clocks? The smell delightful when they open, and they produce seeds that can be saved and planted.

25. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 6, 2008

Well, we have plenty of sunshine around here:D And its been raining nearly everyday...so that will help the plants too.

26. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 6, 2008

Any good indoor plants?

27. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 8, 2008

We plant marigolds the first day back after spring break, and they are usually budding by Mother's Day.