What are file folder games?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Dalrose, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Apr 8, 2006

What exactly are they? I have read about teachers preparing them or getting them ready for their classrooms but I haven't undestood what they are. I will be teaching 1st grade next year so will they come in handy? Thanks!

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 8, 2006

You can see some examples of file folder games here in the store:
    http://store.atozteacherstuff.com/download-now/filefoldergames.html
    These are all downloadable, so you just print and assemble. They are called file folder games because you mount the game inside a file folder.

You can also get books that have games you can copy and assemble.

4. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Apr 8, 2006

and yes they may be handy with first graders.

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Apr 8, 2006

I have even used them with upper (3,4,5) grades and they are a help especially when doing differentiation, and while working with smaller groups in a resource setting. They can be easily adapted up or down depending on your need.

6. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Apr 10, 2006

They are very handy with 1st graders and very good to give to eager parents to make for you!! Have them copy the games on construction paper and it saves lots of time. Definitely laminate them.

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 11, 2006

I used pretty variety of colored file folders. On the back side I glued a 6x8 envelope, stuff the flap to the inside, before you laminate. Also in the lower right corner I glue a label. Property of my name. When someone borrows them, it is a reminder to return the games. Hint: Laminate the small pieces as a sheet before cutting them out. (Saves cutting twice and lots easier to laminate the large sheet of paper) Store the pieces in a zip lock bag in the envelope on the back. It is so much easier for students to put the bag in and out and not tear the envelope.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 11, 2006

If you are copying from someone elses book, make 2 copies. That way you have an original for yourself, and a copy to make the game with. It never fails that someone will borrow it and not return it, or someone will tear it up. I also agree with laminating everything. They are more durrable and last longer. Here are some other places to look:
    file folder

9. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006

I also thought of something else - If you get the file folder games from the store, many of them come with black & white as well as color pages. That way you can have the option print in full color so you don't have to color them in yourself. :) That was what always got in the way of me putting together a lot of file folder games when I was teaching. However, if available, you could have students or parent volunteers help color and put things together for you.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 11, 2006

Yes, students love to come in during recess and color for you.

11. mom2my2cuties

mom2my2cuties New Member

Apr 12, 2006

Colored Cardstock and Copy Paper for B/W Pages :)

Hello and good day :) I'm the author of the Giggly Games Books here at A-Z. File Folder Games are an excellent resource for teaching a variety of educational or just plain fun :) skills to a student or a group of students at once. I love them because they are easy to make, easy to store, are great hands on learning tools for kids, and kids love them :) Basically think of the file folder as the game board for your game. Most file folder games can easily be altered to fit the skill and needs of most students, based on skill level.
    To save on ink when I'm printing a bunch of games up at one time for a class or my own little ones, I often purchase colorful (neon, parchment, brights, pastel) cardstock, and copy paper from crafts, and office supply stores, (make sure you check out the scrapbooking section at Walmart) This way I save on ink, but still give the games a POP of color that kids love.
    Connie :)

12. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Apr 15, 2006

Thanks for the replies.

I learned a lot.

13. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado