What an awful year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Grammy Teacher, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2010

I have the class from H--- this year, seriously, I actually said, "I give up" today and I just sat there and ignored them. I am so disappointed in myself and in them. They are all screamers, hitters, tattlers, spoiled at home, selfish, obnoxious, etc... and I am giving up on them ever being any different.

3. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 30, 2010

Aww Grammy :hugs:,

I know it's disheartening sometimes but don't give up. Go get yourself something to drink, a trashy novel, and a good night sleep. It will hopefully go better tomorrow.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2010

When they're like that in preschool, don't you just want to get medieval on the parents?

5. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 30, 2010

Whoa, if Grammy Teacher says this it must be so. I know you won't give up, I know you are discouraged. I also know you will draw from your experience and pull this group together. When I first joined this forum you were always right there for me with sound advise. I can't wait to hear how you whip this group into shape. Sending hugs.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 30, 2010

((((Grammy))))) Those kids need your special touch. But, it is awful when a whole group of kids seem to share the most difficult attributes. Just calmly go about doing what you know is right and let the rest go. Easier said than done, I know.

7. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 30, 2010

:hugs: Hang in there! You can do it!

8. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Sep 30, 2010

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! I feel for you, because I've been there, and "class from h_ll" is a phrase we're all familiar with! I encountered my class from h_ll when I was a 6th grade teacher years ago. Isn't it funny how some years are like that? Must have been something in the air the year all these kiddos were conceived!
    On the other hand, hopefully you also get the "class from heaven", which is what I have this year. Hang in there!

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2010

Aw, I'm so sorry the year is starting out this way. I hope things improve.

10. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Sep 30, 2010

You know, I work in first grade, and I'm noticing that some of the parents are my age. (I'm in my mid 20's) That really makes you wonder. The parents keep getting younger and younger, and they have less and less foundation to know how to raise kids. IDK, that's just my personal opinion. Sorry to hear about your year. I'm sure it'll get better!

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 30, 2010

I agree, if Grammy says she has the class from ---, she doesn.

Grammy, after a peaceful evening at home--I suggest chocolate, you will be refreshed. Here are my suggestions. Lots of theaputic play. Playdough, water play, cornmeal, and painting. Take them outside or to the gym and let them scream and run.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2010

Thanks you guys, I needed that.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2010

The weird part is, they nearly all really hate each other. There's the boy who poops his pants, never stops picking at others, the girl with emotional issues and falls to the floor crying, often, the boy who pushes and hits others when they come near him to play, the little girl who cries when her hands get dirty painting or whatever, the little boy who wanders aimlessly to irritate anyone in his path because he won't and never has played since we've known him, and on and on it goes, everyday, all day, inside and outside, fighting, crying, screaming. I've tried everything. My 20th. year anniversary in Pre-K is in October and I am having such a miserable time of it, there is no joy when I go to work and when I get home, I am grouchy and worn out. I lay in bed and think of what to do, what to do!!!

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2010

Blue, we do all those things you mentioned and they continue to cry and fight during all of their activities. We go outside and they fight and hit out there. They are just miserable children!

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 30, 2010

Grammy, can you take an extended weekend? Maybe take off Monday and get a break from the kiddos?

My mom teaches Pre-K (just like you), so I know what you're going through because she also has a difficult class this year.

HUGS!!! :hugs:

16. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2010

I'm having that sort of year, myself. With my AM class. I have 20 in that class, and you just described about 14 of them. Makes you feel really, really sad for the other 6.

We had a tornado warning today so we all had to go sit in the hall quietly, back against the lockers, head on knees for THIRTY minutes, and - this is how bad my year has been - it was almost a welcome break. Almost.

I just keep saying, "it will get better, it will get better, it WILL get better." Makes me feel better to say it, anyway

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2010

Funny you suggest that because today I was thinking of looking at the calendar and putting in for some days off each month. Thanks for the idea and give my regards to your mom!

18. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 30, 2010

I'm so sorry to hear of your plight.
    Hopefully you can keep your love of teaching and sanity.
    Is there a way the admin can switch at least one of the difficult students into another class? Sometimes the dynamic of certain students can make you really dislike your job and render you less able to connect with the entire class.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2010

Joyful, they are all 4 and 5 year olds and my room is "the last stop!" There is no where for them to go, but they ACT like they should be in the two year old room. Thanks for your idea though! I feel so bad for the few kids who are good as gold. They are extra sweet and NEVER do anything wrong to anyone.

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2010

Ain't that the truth! They are ruining their kids and don't even know it! By the time these kids are 4 and 5, their patterns are set and they will be this way their whole lives!

21. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 1, 2010

Grammy Teacher, I am thinking of you today. I am hoping for a better day....I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2010

Thank you Gigi, I am getting ready for work now and your comment is just what I needed! You have a good weekend, too.

23. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2010

What do you mean by that? Is this like a pre-k continuation school?

Now I'm picturing a bunch of 4 and 5 year olds with probation officers and gang tatoos.

24. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 1, 2010

LOL Sarge! I think Grammy means that the following year they will be at the public school.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2010

:hugs:

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 1, 2010

Hugs, Grammy. Sounds like Sarge's silliness has come closer to the truth than we all would like.

27. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 1, 2010

Huge, Grammy...

sounds like you need to have everyone playing at a different activity for a while until they can show you they're ready to get along better! Not sure your crew could handle that, though!

28. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 1, 2010

If they are acting like 2 yr olds, treat them like 2's. Tighten your schedule, so everything is teacher initiated. OR, loosen yor schedule so everything is child driven. Don't knock yourself out--just keep going. Do you have an aid? Let them put out the fires and you keep going. Are you in WA, can I come over and help for the day?

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2010

I was also going to ask if you have an aide. Now, the lowest I've ever taught was kindergarten, but I've had my fair share of four year olds. For me, it was all about patience and lots of modeling. I would cry and pull my hair out the first few months of school. FINALLY in December things would start to get better and then when they get back from Christmas Break, it was like they all matured and I have that wonderful class that I worked so hard for.

I've worked in VERY low ses schools where kids come from broken homes, are homeless, in foster homes, unemployed parents, parents in jail... so I've worked with very tough kids. Kids who call police officers "po pos". Yes, it's tough, but with love, patience, modeling, and with some help with your aide, and by being strict and consistent, they will, hopefully, become that wonderful class. I know you can do it!!! It'll just be an extra challenge for you to master this year.

30. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2010

Hahaha, that is sooo funny! Believe me, we just might read about some of them in the paper someday! What I mean is, I am the only Pre-K teacher in our building and as Gigi said, they will all go to Kindergarten in the public school next fall. :woot:

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2010

An "aide" Hahha wha'ts that?! No I don't have an aide. I'm a one man show (woman, I mean!) I have been letting them put out their own fires and sometimes it's just plain scary, but I figure they ask for it and they're gonna get it!!! Tightened, loosened, it makes no difference with this crew. Their hands are always out and ready to punch someone in the back just to hear them scream and cry. That's when I step in and they sit in a chair somewhere (for a very long time,) but it doesn't stop there. Someone else manages to walk by them and stomp on their foot while they're on the chair, so then THAT one is on a chair somewhere crying and screaming at the top of their lungs because they got caught! This goes on all day long.

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2010

I do that often, but someone always strays and on the way to the bathroom, etc, they find a victim to attack! They HATE each other!!!

33. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2010

I work better with kids from broken homes, parent in jail, etc. They are broken and I can mend their hearts. What I don't work well with are the kids who come from spoiled homes where they learn from little on that their ---- doesn't stink. They carry that little attitude with them right into school. Some of these kids are spoiled and one has some loose wires that will probably never connect. However, you are correct in your analysis of 4 year olds. They need consistency and modeling of behaviors. By the way, I don't WANT this kind of a challenge after 20 years of teaching.

34. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2010

Hi All, I bet your're sick of getting messages in your email from this thread!!! Today was better. It was my PREP day and I sent them outside for about an hour with another teacher. We had a few pushes and punches and a few tantrums over a toy. We were able to work it out (we meaning, "me" and the "kids." Remember, I don't have an aide. I read a great book to them today, called Listen and Learn. I gave them lots of eye contact and pauses, used their names one by one and kept them focused. I referred to the "book" all day long and I could see it sinking in (for a change.) I plan on reading that book and ones like it often, focusing on behaviors and less on skills for a while. They are such a mess and it almost seems like they've never heard anyone teach them how to be a nice person! I'm feeling better and more confident after discussing this with all of you. I do think I will be changing my teaching approach until they are capable of getting along better. Meanwhile, the child with the "loose wires" remains to be my biggest challenge and I will be working with the school psychologist on him.

35. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Oct 1, 2010

:lol: I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to print that out and hang it in my office.

I guess I wasn't around for the Grammy Teacher era, but I like you already. Only a teacher could understand what you're going through.

... lol, thanks for the laugh.

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2010

Hahhaaaaa! If we don't keep our sense of humor, we'll all go mad. Today the loose wire kid pooped on the POTTY and I said, "That's great, I'm so proud of you!" He smiled back, (while still on the toilet,) and said with a ---- eatin' grin, "THANKS!" We (other teachers and I,) laughed all day about that one. "THANKS!"
    The Grammy Teacher era makes me wish we could have as much fun now as we used to on the forum. There were several of us who would be on every night, laughing till the tears rolled down our cheeks. We would stay up way too late because we had so much fun on here!!! Most are no longer on the forum and I sure do miss those nights. P.S. We were devils though and got in trouble a few times! The famous "Painting with Fish" thread was a classic and went on for months. People would get mad and everyone would fight and then we'd all go to AIM and chat about the whole ordeal. Hard to explain, but it was so much fun. I've toned down considerably, at least on here that is...:whistle:

37. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 1, 2010

I remember the "Painting With Fish" thread Grammy!
    I am glad you had a better day, and a break through with potty in the pants child. I knew you would, I knew that if anyone was capable of dealing with this group it would be you. See, they need you and call it what you want, they were sent directly to your classroom so you can straighten them out. Have a wonderful weekend, and looking forward to more intervention "Grammy Teacher style." :)

38. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 1, 2010

Is it possible to tape off areas of the room (or get IKEA carpet circles or something) for where they can play? Give them each a box/tub of toys and say "This is your place to play. You cannot leave your circle unless you raise your hand and ask." When a child has to go to the bathroom, hold their hand and walk with them to the bathroom.

This might not help, but it's the only advice I could think of! I'm sorry you're having such a rough year.

39. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 4, 2010

How did today go, Grammy?

Evidentally they need to be reading "Hands are Not For Hitting" and its siblings multiple times... :)

40. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2010

I'm sorry you're going through that. In 28 years, I've had 2 of those, and this year's class isn't far behind. Don't give up, and take all the above advice about chocolate, bubble baths, etc.!

41. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2010

I have that book and several like it.We have a lot of work to do. I've been watching them like a hawk and their little eyes are about popping out of their heads because they aren't getting away with ANYTHING! I believe we're making some progress. As for the BIGGEST trouble maker, (the one who has some loose wires,) I have to frequently isolate him from the others, but we did make it through circle today without too many stops. I let him sit right at my feet and every time he did ANYTHING wrong, I used my MEAN voice and my MEAN look about an inch in front of his face. He looked scared and I liked it. :thumb: