What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sbe0984, May 1, 2013.

1. sbe0984

sbe0984 Rookie

May 1, 2013

I am a 4-8 Generalist applying for jobs in the DFW area. I apply for anything Im qualified for and havent limited myself to just the school districts super close to me. Ive also been to a few job fairs. I taught for a semester and have been subbing for the past year back in my hometown. So I have a little experience.

Im starting to feel like my certification isnt good enough, which is depressing because I worked hard for it.

What am I forgetting or doing wrong?
    Any suggestions on additional things to do or thoughts about my certification would be awesome.

3. teach42

teach42 Comrade

May 1, 2013

If you can add on certifications by just taking an exam, I would do that. I'm not even sure what your certification is in. Has anyone looked over your cover letter and resume yet?

4. sbe0984

sbe0984 Rookie

May 2, 2013

My certification is 4-8 Generalist. And yes I can take any test I want to add on certifications. I was thinking of tacking on 4-8 Math since all of my interning and student teaching was focused towards Math and I taught 5th grade Math after college.

5. sbe0984

sbe0984 Rookie

May 2, 2013

And Ive had people look at both. My resume looks good but I think my cover letter could probably use some help.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 2, 2013

Post your cover letter and resume (minus specific detailed info that you don't want public) on the forum and ask for revision ideas. Add on the certifications that you can if it's something you would be interested in teaching. And keep applying...I received all of my job offers in the summer both years I searched. It's still early (but still frustrating, I know).