What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ScienceGeek, Jun 26, 2009.

1. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

I applied to about 15-20 position for science teachers and even aide positions. I have only gotten an interview once, out of all the jobs I applied for. I even followed up with most and still nothing. I don't know what I am doing wrong. At this point I wouldn't mind to be just an aide or take a long term sub assignment just as long as I'm not an on call sub for next year! I haven't gotten one interview for an aide position. I don't know, do they consider you over qualified since I started my MA? Are there any magic words to get an interview besides begging?!?!

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jun 26, 2009

I'm with you--if you find out the "magic words" please share :)
    Good luck!

4. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 26, 2009

I don't think you are doing anything wrong - it's just a tough time right now for job hunters. Just keep at it and keep a positive attitude.:)

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 26, 2009

How do your resume and cover letter look? Sending out 15 resumes and getting 1 interview is not that bad. Were all the resumes you sent out for science jobs in particular or were you sending in hopes they had an opening?

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2009

What sort of science jobs/grade level?

If it is biology, I would say your experiences are frustratingly normal. If it is chemistry or physics, the wise people here can probably help you work on your materials so that you get noticed.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2009

I agree with frogger. It is very difficult right now with budget cuts that many school districts are facing. And being in NJ, it was already tough enough.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2009

You're probably not doing anything wrong; as other posters have said it's a brutal market for teachers right now. Just keep applying to any district/school that you would be willing to work at and apply to districts that don't have any openings currently listed.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2009

You say you're a science teacher, and you're looking for the magic words.

They're "Physics" and "Chemistry." Honest!!!!

That said, you say you've applied to "15-20 positions." Don't wait until a position is posted!!!! Apply to every single public, private and charter school within an hour's commute!!! Don't ask whether they're anticipating an opening or not, send them a cover letter and resume this weekend!!!

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 26, 2009

I think Alice is right. There are many districts that don't even post some positions because they have so many qualified applicants to choose from already. You have to stand out. Just getting the interview is crucial!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2009

Ditto what Alice said- I'm in NJ and can attest to the fact that is is TOUGH.

Do you go on njhire.com? Just found these for you:
    1) Middle School Science Teacher

Job Info: Middle School Science Teacher. Concentration on Earth Science.
    Job Level: Middle Grades
    Job Type: Teacher/Instructional Job Type
    Job Position: Science
    Organization:Metuchen Public Schools
    Working Place: Middlesex (NJ)
    Deadline: Jun-26-2009
    Posted Date: Jun-16-2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Science Teacher Apply Online Now!

Job Info: Part time Teach science to grades 4-8 Small classes-supports provided Fully furnished science lab Salary commensurate to degree and experience
    Organization:The Gerrard Berman Day School
    Working Place: Bergen (NJ)
    Deadline: Jul-30-2009
    Posted Date: Jun-16-2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Science Teacher

Job Info: Interested applicants must meet NJDOE certification requirements and possess one of the following certificates: Elem. K-5 with specialization in Science grades 5-8 or Biology. To be considered for employment, the following documents should be submitted: cover letter, resume, college transcripts, Praxis II scores and copy of applicable certificate. Deadline to apply: June 30, 2009 Effectiv...
    Organization:Gloucester Township Public Schools
    Working Place: Camden (NJ)
    Deadline: Jun-30-2009
    Posted Date: Jun-15-2009
    Apply directly to school district: www.gloucestertownshipschools.org

4) Teacher of Middle School Science Apply Online Now!

Job Info: KIPP Freedom Academy is a college-preparatory public school for grades 5, 6, 7, and 8. At Freedom Academy Charter School, we strive to cultivate the knowledge, skills, and character of the children of Camden City, guaranteeing them the freedom to perform in competitive high schools and colleges, and help our students become positive, powerful, and productive citizens. At KIPP, we believe that t...
    Organization:Freedom Academy Charter School
    Working Place: Camden (NJ)
    Deadline: Jul-15-2009
    Posted Date: Jun-12-2009

5) Science Teacher Apply Online Now!

Job Info: N/A
    Organization:Bergen Arts and Science Charter School
    Working Place: Bergen (NJ)
    Deadline: Jul-15-2009
    Posted Date: Jun-11-2009

6) Middle School Science Teacher Apply Online Now!

Job Info: New charter school seeks successful candidates who hold NJ certification to teach middle school students and have the technical skills/knowledge and passion sufficient to teach science to students in grades 5-8.
    Organization:pride Academy Charter School
    Working Place: Essex (NJ)
    Deadline: Jul-30-2009
    Posted Date: Apr-08-2009

7) Science Teacher Apply Online Now!

Job Info: Anticipated opening for middle school science teaching position in the Irvington Public School District.
    Organization:Irvington Public Schools
    Working Place: Essex (NJ)
    Deadline: Jul-01-2009
    Posted Date: Mar-27-2009

12. dola0072

dola0072 Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

I hear you. I applied to 20 positions so far this year and I haven't had any call backs. I was talking to one of the teachers at a school near by and she told me that the schools post positions that are not even open. The positions are already taken but they have to post them for legal reasons. I am in the same boat. Good luck.

13. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 1, 2009

make room on that boat, I am right there with you :(

14. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 3, 2009

Me too. I have applied to about twenty positions and to other districts around me that don't have anything posted. I haven't heard anything. I have went to visit schools that have postings and am in the process of following up with everyone with emails. I am praying and hoping that now that it's after July 1 that I will hear something. July 1 is when the new fiscal year starts here so maybe we are all going to be getting some calls soon!

15. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 3, 2009

It's not you :). But, the market is VERY tough. Schools are more than happy to have an over-qualified and underpaid aide/asst. The problem is, everyone not getting teaching positions are applying for the aide positions. It's just as tough as getting a teaching position. I managed to get an aide position last year in hopes of having an "in" for any FT teaching positions. But, I still am up against 30 other aides certified to teach if one does. There is no chance any openings will ever be offered outside the district posted or not because of the pool districts already have to pull from. Take previous posters advice...pound the pavement. Do not wait for a posting before making contact with the schools. Just keep putting yourself out there...it will work :). GOOD LUCK!!!

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 3, 2009

Your teacher friend is right. Many jobs will never even be posted because school districts have a great pool of candidates to choose from. Your best bet is to narrow down the districts in your area and send your cover letter and resume. Follow up with a phone call. Try to get at least an interview at the district level. That could lead to more opportunities. It is imperative to check the applications website. Make sure that your application is complete. Make sure that all your references have turned in their evaluations. Most of the time this is done by email. If a reference has not turned in his/her paperwork on you, your application will be considered incomplete. You should be able to go back into your application and check your status. Just because a district sent you an email saying your application is complete, does not mean that it always is if your references have not sent in their checklist. I wish you all the best. The jobs will not come to you. You must go to the jobs. Filling out an application will not be enough. Check out some of the past forums. There have been teachers calling in favors, calling mentor teachers for help, calling principals that they know, or even board members that are friends. The competition is tough especially in a town that has a college that just graduated 200+ new teachers. That is not to say that is your situation. I am just giving you an example. Now, take a long, slow drink of water :spitwater: And go check out your applications. I wish you all the best. There are some wonderful people on this website just like you that are only just now hearing about positions, and getting hired for positions. It is tough. But you have an added bonus... you got us!:hugs: