What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Hnbb, May 5, 2021.

1. Hnbb

Hnbb New Member

May 5, 2021

I have now applied for 9 jobs and have been unable to even get an interview. I am PACE (alternative certification) but I’ve worked for a school district here for 2 years as a paraprofessional and have letters of recommendation from my current principal and the historical association where I worked prior to the school. I scored 196 on my praxis and even took two praxis tests for both middle level and secondary to help my chances. I always send plenty of references, cover letters and have been emailing the principals to all of the schools where I have applied and I get no response. Is this just not going to happen for me?

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 5, 2021

As much as it sucks, be patient.
    It’s not quite hiring season yet, and 9 job applications isn’t actually all that many. Some schools are way more on top of hiring than others; many will wait until summer to see what positions need filled externally.

I feel your pain though - I applied for upwards of 60 jobs before I ever got an interview, and it SUCKS. Odds are there’s nothing wrong with you, it’s just a crappy system.

Have you heard back from any of the principals you’ve emailed? What’s the district’s policy on that? The district near me (that I’ve been trying to get into for years to no avail) specifically requests that applicants do not contact principals; it could be worth double checking that you’re not blacklisting yourself that way.

vickilyn likes this.
  4. Hnbb

Hnbb New Member

May 5, 2021

Is it not hiring season yet? I thought I had pretty much missed it. I’ve had everything in order to apply for jobs since January. I’m just feeling so stressed because I’ve been very open with administration that that I want to teach- and my principal wrote me a glowing letter of recommendation. But every time I see a teacher assistant position posted on the district website for our school I start to get worried that I’m being replaced and have no where else to go.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 5, 2021

Hiring season: Most hires are in June, many are in the latter half of May. Be patient and persistent. Most hiring hasn't happened yet.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 5, 2021

We are hiring now. We have trouble finding applicants. We have two science, a math, a LMS, and an ELA . . . and two applicants.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 7, 2021

9 isn't really a lot in the grand scheme of things. It could be your area where there are just tons of applicants or in the previous posters' area where there are slim pickins!

8. Hnbb

Hnbb New Member

May 17, 2021

I’m now up to 13 applications with still no job interview or response of any kind.

9. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

May 17, 2021

I don't know the job density where you are, but 4 more applications in 19 days seems a little low. Back when I was first looking, I tried to apply to a job a day. That allowed me to try to tweak my cover letter so it fit the school I was applying to. There are a couple minor concerns based on your original post. 1. You mention your Praxis score to us. I would not include that in my application. I don't think it helps. 2. A reference from a historical association you worked for? You've been working at a school for two years? I think a letters from teachers you have worked with are much a better references at this stage. 3. Make sure your cover letter includes at least one specific anecdote of you working successfully with a student.

I don't know if you should be emailing principals directly yet. When I was first looking, about ten years ago, I started doing that in late July, about 2 to 3 weeks before school was starting. That is when unexpected openings pop up, and principals are scrambling. I ended up with a job from those emails. At that point I had already applied to about 30 jobs and had about 12 interviews. It was very tough. Good luck.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 18, 2021

Everyone who frequents these forums has been a job seeker at one time or another. Since I've been hanging around the forums for a while, I am going to share some thoughts, which you can feel free to ignore.

First and foremost, make sure you have a professionally written resume, something that many of us are not that experienced in creating. Fortunately, the best resume writers websites usually have a reduced fee for new teachers. The best of these companies will send you their take on what you shared with them, but if you want to beef up this or that, modify what is presented, or indicate any special skills that would make you a superior candidate for the job, add the information, along with anything else that doesn't "feel right" to you, because they will rewrite without charge - they make money by having happy customers. I use the same writer every time I need to modify my existing resume, generally because I have added more graduate credits, have new additional endorsements, or have significantly improved some kind of marketable skill set. I researched many companies and decided on one that seemed to have their hand on the pulse of what hiring committees are looking for. I gather all of the appropriate material to help present myself in the best possible light, and then I turn it over to someone who I have vetted at the company, someone with excellent style and savvy enough to play up appropriate key terms that districts look for when deciding on who to interview. If passing the Praxis in both middle school and high school qualified you to be considered highly qualified in two separate categories, that would be indicated by your certifications, since you probably have provisional certificates for each of the two. You would list your valid endorsements, but not your Praxis Scores.

I cringe every time that someone posts that:
    I will say that there are those who swear by emailing principals, but there is a well laid out sequence of events in the hiring process and meeting with the principal is something that generally happens after you have been vetted by the hiring committee, with all the bells and whistles, actual interviews with a group of instructors in the committee, checking of references, verification of credentials, sample lesson instruction, etc.

As far as your references, if you have any teachers or administrators who you have worked closely with, you would really want to ask them for a LOR. If they say OK, then give them information that would help them see you in the light of being a new teacher. FYI - people will say yes, if they were more or less ambushed by the request, and then often become distant and elusive. It would certainly help if it could be someone who has witnessed your interactions with the students, as well as your adherence to the rules and regulations while interacting with the students. If they have had the opportunity to observe you being the professional, doing all of the right things, these are memories that you may suggest as a jumping off point. Finally, if they say yes, give a deadline of about 2 weeks, because it is better for all concerned that this not drag out. You actually need the reference, and they need to get over any desire to avoid writing the LOR if they said yes.

I believe that the hiring season is a little off kilter this year, thanks to the pandemic. I'm in NJ, and we still have mask mandates and occupancy restrictions. As a Covid survivor, I do understand how there can be so many different ways to a better, safer tomorrow, and I don't feel that wearing my mask is hurting me, and I am grateful that others are just as careful as my family is and has been for the last 18 months. Schools have really struggled to continue to educate their students, and I think that for the most part, they have done a really good job in very difficult scenarios.

Feel free to deviate completely from what I have just written, but if you find yourself still being ignored, you might want to make sure that you have considered what the district needs and is asking for, and then double check to make sure you have actually given them what they are asking for and really need to see. Let me wish you the best of luck.

Surprisingly, I've seen teachers hired right up to the beginning of the new school year - people get news they are moving (usually because the spouse is being transferred), a teacher finds themselves pregnant, some teachers decide almost spur of the moment to return to school, thus move away, the teacher finds a new job that is more where their interest/schooling supports/pay scale makes the move very attractive. There are as many varied reasons as to why they would leave, but the one fact is that the teacher will leave a vacancy that must to filled, and that creates a window of opportunity for interested job seekers.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    miss-m likes this.
  11. daveng

daveng Rookie

May 28, 2021

I have applied to probably 50 or so positions and had 3 interviews and no job offer yet.

12. daveng

daveng Rookie

May 28, 2021

Also, my first teaching job hired me 3 days before school started.

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 28, 2021

What state or part of the country?

14. daveng

daveng Rookie

May 28, 2021

Texas. One district said they're now having to await state test results, as per the district, before continuing with any hirs.

15. Regan@Off2Class

Regan@Off2Class Rookie

May 31, 2021

You’re likely not doing anything wrong! Keep applying, remain patient and know that hiring season is coming.

16. Richard_Smoot

Richard_Smoot New Member

Jun 9, 2021

I think the problem of job search refusals is relevant for many people. I want to share my experience of why this is happening. Lack of initiative. In short, you are expected to be interested in what you are going to do. Not only technical, it is desirable to understand what kind of projects are open to you, what kind of people will be with you in the team. This understanding will allow you to speak the same language as the interviewer. And this is always nice. And it is economically profitable - it is easier to board you if you are already aware of the future. Follow the trends. Behind technology development trends, market trends, hiring trends. There have already been so many news stories about softskills and their relevance that I am ashamed to remind them. And all the same, the rod is people who seem to be from a different ecosystem. Look at your CV through the eyes of a person who doesn't know you for a second. All clear? Would you skip it yourself? There is nothing that "it is better to explain in words later in the interview"? The interview may not be exactly because of such moments in the CV. Sometimes everything is perfect for you, but a refusal comes. This is not always a bad thing, perhaps, expectations are not met and that's all. It means that you don't need a company either, just knowing the inner workings of the interviewer realized that you would be uncomfortable or not interested, for example. An interview is not torture, it is negotiation. Ask questions, you must also understand where you are going. With or without experience, it doesn't matter. Prepare questions, this is a plus for you. This is called showing interest. You, too, do not want to waste your time with a company where you will not get the experience you would like. By the way, I advise you to watch videos on YouTube in which experienced HRs talk about tricks and tips that will help you get the desired job. I was able to gather this information from videos on YouTube in which experienced hr talk about how to get a dream job. I found enough videos on this topic there and noticed that in most cases such videos had almost 78 thousand views. I am sure in order to achieve such indicators, their authors are often buy youtube views in order to quickly increase their number.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021