What am I called?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by cadie_did, Aug 13, 2005.

1. cadie_did

cadie_did New Member

Aug 13, 2005

I have an especially hard last name. It's italian, long, and difficult for most people to say. Is it appropriate for me to shorten my name? For instance, could I request my students to call me Miss G or even go as far as to be called Miss Jennifer? I'll be teaching (hopefully) 4th or 5th grade. It's just that I've known some people my entire life who still can't say my last name. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

3. Aimee

Aimee Rookie

Aug 13, 2005

I have a hard last name too---it's German. I did my student teaching in 1st grade and after a few days most kids got it right. The few that couldn't I just had them call me Mrs. B. I think it's fine, but have them try it first----you may be surprised!

4. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 13, 2005

I think Miss G would be fine. Our art teacher has done that for years, and I see no problem with it.

5. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Aug 13, 2005

I agree with Aimee and musicteach. "Miss G" will work for those kids who are unable to pronounce your last name.

Have a great school year!

~Jaicie

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 13, 2005

We have had teachers use last initials when their names are difficult to pronounce. I would stay away from kids calling you "Miss Jennifer" unless it is a preschool setting. I think that is too informal for 4th and 5th grade, IMO.

7. iujeff

iujeff Rookie

Aug 13, 2005

I would use your last initial too. I would avoid the first name, as that is pretty informal at your grade level. There are 2 teachers at our elementary school who use a last initial for the same reasons. Best wishes.

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 13, 2005

I agree that using the first name is only appropriate in a preschool setting. I know lots of teachers who use the last initial though. When I was subbing last year, I often had kids ask if they could call me Ms. C (and my last name isn't hard to pronounce at all) The only reason I don't like Ms. C is because it kind of sounds like Missy! For subbing, I usually said sure, but now that I have my own class, it's not going to happen for me! :)

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 13, 2005

Nothing wrong with being called Missy!! :) My last name isn't hard, but it is long, so some of my students call me Mrs. G.

10. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Aug 13, 2005

My last name starts with a "w", hence the "Mrs. Dub". The kids could never get it right (darn Polish names!), so I just finally gave in to a nickname. I think it's perfectly appropriate--even the administrators use it now!

11. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 13, 2005

The school my kids go to (K-6) use the title (Mr., Miss, etc..) with the teachers' first name. It seems to be a new trend in some school boards. There hasn't been any problems with it and I like the mix of formal (using the title) and informal (using the first name). I also like the Miss G. idea also. I have a French last name that many English kids find hard to pronounce and they often call me Mrs. C - I like it.

12. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Aug 13, 2005

I agree with the majority. Last initial. Thank goodness I have a simple last name. :)

13. dee

dee Companion

Aug 13, 2005

I would also use my initial of my last name and not my first name. I have a simple last name Parker, but I do have many children that call me Ms. Parkers

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 13, 2005

I have a simple name, but hard to pronounce for younger students. I allow them to call me Miss W. in the classroom. Most don't, but it's an option for them. I think first name is too unprofessional. I can see it at a preschool or church setting. I'd go with the majority as well.

15. herins

herins Companion

Aug 14, 2005

In French schools in Quebec it is quite common to be called your first name (ex. Madame Jennifer). In my school, one teacher chose this option. In my opinion, an abbreviation is equally as informal.It really depends on your administration as to what is acceptable and on you as to what is comfortable.

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 14, 2005

I agree that an abbreviation is as informal as using a first name. In my district it's either the last name or an abbreviation. No first names, unless it's teacher to teacher conversation.

17. LonGuy

LonGuy Rookie

Sep 26, 2005

I have a Japanese last name, which is hard to pronounce for many of students and co-workers. Everybody calls me "Mr. T" since my last name start with "T." I do not have a mean looking as real "Mr. T" but it is working. I have been called by that name when I was even student teaching, and now I am working at pristigeous private school. It is totally fine if students are calling you by your last name initial. Some students really want to try to pronounce your last name, so let them.

P.S. I will be dressing up as "Mr. T" for Halloween. lol

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 26, 2005

I have a relatively easy last name, but my cooperating teacher during student teaching has a more difficult one. Many of the students call her by her full last name, but there are also many students and teachers throughout the school that call her Mrs. S. I don't think there's anything wrong with that and I don't really see it as being less formal than using your full last name. If it's a difficult name, I think it's completely appropriate to allow them to just use the initial.

19. Keling9

Keling9 Companion

Sep 26, 2005

I have last name that's very difficult to pronounce. It's actually german, but looks somewhat of asian descent. I practice with my kids and most of them get it right. (They're kindergartners) I've thought about shortening my last name, but if most kids attempt and get it, go for it. (Some butcher it, but if they're close, it doesn't matter to me.) My feeling is, with some of the unusual names that they're given as a first name and I'm expected to pronounce them correctly, they can at least try my name! I would say though, do what you're comfortable with.

20. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 26, 2005

I agree with most posters, use your intial with a title. That's what most of the teachers in our school do, if they have a difficult last name. Others insist that they kids learn how to say it and it makes the little ones not address them, is what I have noticed.