What Am I Allowed To Teach

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Bittywell12, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Bittywell12

Bittywell12 Rookie

Nov 10, 2005

With the Holiday Season coming closer... how do I know what I am legally allowed to teach.... I have found cute ideas on just basically introducing the basic concepts of the following holiday christmas, hannukah, kwanzaa... but I just dont know where your suppose to draw the line??:rolleyes: :thanks:

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 10, 2005

I think many times it depends on the school and district. Speak with your cooperating teacher about it and see what he/she says is usually taught at that school.

4. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Nov 10, 2005

I know at the district I'm at it pretty much floats as long as you don't get into doctrine. If we approach it from a this group celebrates this this way because way there seems to be no ruffled feathers.
    I even use very traditional Christmas hymns in my music program, and most the parents sing along.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 10, 2005

I agree that if you teach the different holidays as a way to teach what different groups of people celebrate at this time of year, you probably won't ruffle any feathers. As a student teacher, though, sometimes you just have to be careful and find out exactly what is and is not allowed because you never know what the district's policies are. I think that it's important for students to learn about different cultures and what holidays they celebrate, but some people get very touchy about those things.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2005

I agree you should definitely check with your co-op. In my school, if you hang up anything for one holiday, you have to hang up something for the other two as well. I have a very diverse student population..and Christmas, Hannukhah and Kwanzaa are all celebrated.

My kids love learning about all 3 though. And I really enjoy teaching them...this year I will probably throw in a bit about the Muslim winter holidays because I have a Muslim student who celebrates a holiday over winter break. :) I'm going to be busy! lol

7. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 11, 2005

I used to teach in a school that had five first grades. We did this in December. Each teacher took a different country and taught the winter holiday in that country. We had Israel-Hannukhah, Kenya-Kwanzaa, Mexico-Las Posadas procession, Great Britain-traditional Christmas. Being the new kid on the block when I moved there 7 years ago I was asked to teach Japan. Japan does not have winter holiday but I stuck to Japanese culture and taugh the kids to make some of the characters, especially numbers.

The great thing about this was we did not have to keep coming up with new material. Plan 3 lessons (about 30 min each) then repeat the 3 lessons with each class.

In my new school there are only 3 first grades but we are considering doing this here too. Just use 3 countries instead of 5.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 11, 2005

That sounds like a good idea 1stferg

9. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 11, 2005

Thanks JaimeMarie,

I forgot to add we build this up to be a big trip. Kids are asked to bring a dollar for their plane ticket. A day before we start the unit we take the kids to each classroom, before they are decorated for the country. In one room they get their "passport" with a school picture inside, personal information (height, weight, eye color). In another room they get their immunizations complete with a bandaide and a lollipop. In another room they get their tickets with seat numbers on the plane. In another room they get their luggage (wallpaper stapled down the sides with a yarn handle) that they can decorate. In the last room they get a world map to show all the countries they can visit during December.

It's cute, some kids think they are really leaving the school and they are a little concerned they won't get home for dinner. Somehow we always make it back just in time to catch the bus.

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 11, 2005

That is such a great idea! You could do things like that with many different subjects, not just the holidays...what a wonderful idea. The kids must have had such a great time!

11. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 11, 2005

You are so right,Beth!!

We did it in the spring too with science. We did a Pond Unit. One teacher did beavers and beaver dams, one teacher did frogs and toads, one teacher did the water and the water cycle, one teacher did dirt and mud with rock identification, and one teacher did plants of the pond.

That's a lot of fun, too.

12. Bittywell12

Bittywell12 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005

I really like that flying idea!! Reallly cute! Thanks everyone for your replys to my question!!!

13. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2005

Leighbball, Do you know what the Muslim winter holiday is called?? This coming week is "Multi-Cultural Week" at our school, and I am taking 45 min. from our language block each day to talk about a holidy. We did Thanksgiving, and I have material prepared on Christmas, Hannukhah, Kwanzaa and Ramadan. I was thinking of adding another...the kids really seem to enjoy it.
    Bittywell, Have found that most places don't mind if you teach holidays, as long as you are teaching every holiday, and don't get too much into the religious part of it. I would love to do Christmas around the world and use the "travel" idea, but I have so many kids that don't celebrate!!

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2005

TeacherC- the holiday is on January 1st when Hajj begins. There are also two other holidays celebrated in January 2006- January 10 - Eid-ul-Adha and January 31- Islamic New Year

Check out this website....it has good info on it. I had an Islamic religion class in college but have forgotten everything I learned...this is a good resource:)

http://www.soundvision.com/info/muslimholidays/

Hope this helps:)

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2005

Last year, I only had one girl who celebrated Hanukhah, and she asked me if she could teach the students how to play the dreidel game...it was great! The kids loved it and we used m&ms for the winnings. Just an idea:)

16. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 11, 2005

M&M's are my all time favorite candy!!!!

How does the Dreidel song go?
    Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made out of clay.
    Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel (I can't remember the rest)

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2005

Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel,
    I made it out of clay
    And when its dry and ready,
    Then dreidel I shall play!

18. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 11, 2005

Thanks!

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 11, 2005

I study cultures and customs around the world. The kids have so much fun. It's really fun for some of the kids to get to demonstrate some of the things they do in their homes. Isn't Diwali right now?

20. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2005

Thanks leighbball...I have to look up all these holidays!

21. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Nov 16, 2005

1stferg - I love those ideas! We did something similar when I was in the sixth grade. We actually had to dress like tourists too! It was in the winter blah months so it was especially fun to wear sunglasses and shorts! We visited the continents!

I'm from WV too! The southern part of the state. I was just wondering where you were located...

22. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 17, 2005

Hi Manda,
    I live in Preston Co. but I work in Morgantown.
    I grew up in Clarksburg.
    I have an aunt in Beckley. Are you around there?