What alternatives do you use for round robin reading?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jpablot, Sep 9, 2013.

1. jpablot

jpablot Rookie

Sep 9, 2013

Or how does your whole group reading of a story look? My centers aren't long enough to get through the story like we need to so whole group time is when we have to read the stories. My administrators discourage round robin reading and I know there is research that backs up why it can be ineffective. I just wanna know how you guys read your stories in the whole group setting. By the way this is for 5th grade. Thanks.

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 9, 2013

I do popcorn/round robin reading in 4th. I have seen some research and most of it seems based on k-2 grades in my opinion. I see no issues with round robin/popcorn reading in upper elementary.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 9, 2013

I teach high school. When we read in class I either read or ask for volunteers. For short pieces we sometimes do popcorn.

5. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 9, 2013

A lot of times we do choral reading for short selections. We'll trade off, boys read a paragraph together and girls read the next.

Sometimes I will read a paragraph and stop at certain points and have the class say the next word. This way, they have to follow along.

6. live

live Companion

Sep 9, 2013

I also do choral reading depending on the length. Sometimes I have them do partner reading or a jigsaw. For difficult texts, I will read aloud and have them code the text as I read.

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 9, 2013

What does it mean to have them code the text as you read?

8. live

live Companion

Sep 9, 2013

The students use sticky notes in the text (or write directly in it, depending on the source) to write symbols to help them process the text. For instance, for a sentence they may write a '?' if it makes them think of a question, or an 'R' if it reminds them of something else. We use a few different variations depending on the type of text. I have them do this occasionally while reading independently, in partners, or while I read aloud if it's a difficult text.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 9, 2013

thank you

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 9, 2013

Love this!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2013

12. mkate

mkate Comrade

Sep 10, 2013

Thanks for the link, czacza.

What is popcorn reading?

13. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 10, 2013

Popcorn reading is where you just jump around the room having students read aloud. No particular order.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 10, 2013

This was my favorite method. You can add parameters too, like girls even pages, boys odd, and so forth.

15. mkate

mkate Comrade

Sep 10, 2013

Thanks. I hadn't heard the term used that way before. I have seen "popcorn words" for sight words (they are supposed to be so familiar they just "pop out" from the page, without having to sound them out.)

16. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 11, 2013

We also do "Next Word" where students must follow along as I read. Then I can tell them they get to read the passage with expression and voices, too. I let them read the material silently for 6 to 10 minutes, then do one of these:

Partner reading - student one reads aloud while student 2 follows along. If student 2 is a weak reader, that kid reads the same passage aloud to student 1. (This way the weakest reader has listened to me read, he's read it silently, he reads while his partner reads, then he reads. 4 times!

I will also have them do reader's theater in 3's where I group kids heterogeneously in groups of 3, then assign parts: Student 1 will read the words spoken by female characters, Student 2 will read the words spoken by male characters, Student 3 will read all the other words not spoken by any characters (narration). After they read a while, I ring a bell and they change parts (3 goes to 2, 2 goes to 1, 1 goes to 3). I keep this up until they've all read part 3. Try to organize it so your weakest read the narration last since it's usually the hardest part. The weakest readers need to have the hard stuff modeled several times.

Think about how many times this passage is read by the class.

17. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Sep 11, 2013

I really hated round robin reading when I was in school. I was always a fast reader, and got really bored, and ended up skipping ahead while others read. Then when it came back around to me I had to rifle back through the book to find our place. I would usually end up finishing several chapters.

I much preferred partner reading, so that I could help someone else instead of just sitting there.