What after-school programs/clubs does your school offer?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Jul 12, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2011

I am interested to know because I think our school greatly lacks in this area.

Do any of your schools have a book club?

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2011

The only after school program offered in my school is a charity-based after school tutoring program (basically free babysitting until 5:30). They do try to work with the kids, as well as offering enrichment activities and some opportunities for play. Mine is a super low-income inner-city school that ranges from ECSE - 5th grade, though, so no chess or robotics club here :(

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 12, 2011

Our clubs are held 50 minutes prior to school starting due to busing issues at the end of the day. Parents are responsible for bringing their child if they are selected (sometimes there are too many who want to be in the club). The clubs we had last year were yearbook, newspaper, poetry, yoga, fitness club, reading, and art. Those who lead a club are paid a stipend as outlined in our current contract.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2011

Okay thanks, those are good ideas. I am really leaning towards art and/or reading. I keep speaking to my coordinator about needing art, and while she recognizes it, she doesn't seem too willing to really look into it. I am not very artsy, but maybe I could do something like arts and crafts. But, I love reading so I would also want to do something like that...

6. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

We have academic teams but only a limited number of students are involved on these teams. They are:

Spell Bowl
    Math Bowl
    Science Bowl
    Battle of the Books

We also have sports that are open to all students in grades 4 and 5:

Boys and Girls Basketball
    Girls Volleyball
    Cheerleading

We also have Student Council.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2011

We have UIL, kickball, environmental club, baton twirling, art, newspaper, reading, student council service club, and games besides tutoring. There is a paid after school program provided by the Y as well.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2011

Chorus
    Art Club
    Road Runners
    a Spanish Heritage Club
    Chess Club
    Battle of the Books Club (Competition with other schools)

I want to sponsor something different besides Chess this coming year. I think I also will do a book club, but not a competitive one. I haven't figured it out yet. Low key. I adored reading when I was a kid (and now), so I'll have to look back and think about what I would have liked. No AR stuff, either.

Maybe and Introduction to the Classics, like Heidi, Little Women, Tom Sawyer. Maybe first quarter classics, second quarter science fiction, etc.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

Most of our clubs: knitting, anime, environmental, student leadership, technology, music (bands, choir, etc) are held at recess or lunch time. Sports (volleyball, basketball, badminton, track, cross country) do practice and sometimes have games after school.

10. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 13, 2011

We use to do a math club for some of our struggling students. We focused on math facts and had a little bit of time at the end to go over current curriculum/homework help. We played a lot of games to help the students learn the facts. The students did really well and enjoyed it too!

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2011

I've done drama club. With is hysterical since I lack talent.

12. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 13, 2011

None. I've offered, but have been met with resistance from the P.

13. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2011

Our school has a variety of afterschool clubs, not all are run by the school though. Everything is also a charge to students.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

Our PTO runs an enrichment program...teachers and outside businesses offer different classes. I teach a beading class once a week, about 8-10 kids, 1 hour class, meets for 8 weeks in the fall and then another session in the spring. Parents pay a fee, teachers are paid $70 per hour. Other enrichment classes include scrapbooking, golf, model airplanes, various arts and crafts classes, magic, dance...

Our PE teachers run an after school gym program each season. There is a fee for this as well.

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2011

This is one area that really made me want to work at my new school-they have so many activities for students. And it's only a K-5 school! We have choir, flag team, cross country, junior police officer, robotics, library club, orchestra, orff band, student council, video team, and intramural sports. My school in Idaho had nothing.

16. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2011

Not many- but I think this is common in elementary. I know next year when we are k-8 they will offer all the major sports to the middle schoolers.

For elementary, we have a hip hop dance club (really popular in this area), a "real" musical in the fall (one you actually have to try out for and do rehearsals after school, not one in music class where everyone does it), and a 5th grade bookworm club (they participate in a district competition to read the most books).

We also offer an after school program where kids do an extra guided reading group, get homework help, and do an "enrichment" activity (generally fitness,art, or team building). This is 25 dollars a month per student, but it's 2 hours after school mon-thurs. so compared to daycare or babysitting it's a crazy good deal for families. Funding comes from a community center, so teachers are paid a very generous hourly wage to teach in the program. Other after school activities in elementary are volunteer-led. Coaches for the middle school will get some kind of stipend.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2011

After school we have a community service club for 2nd and 3rd graders that I run, a garden club, Odyssey of the Mind teams, and an ESL homework club. We also have a book club, safety patrol, choir, band, orchestra, and wee deliver postal service but those don't meet after school unless they have a special event.

Only Odyssey and safety patrol advisors get a stipend, the rest of us volunteer.

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2011

Chorus, Art. Oh, and YMCA clubs like basketball.

Last year, I led Odyssey of the Mind, and prior to that (quite some time ago), I was newspaper advisor. We used to have K-Kids Club, but now we have the first I mentioned. I am considering starting something different and interesting this year.

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2011

I never received a stipend as the OM coach... I volunteered. :dizzy: