What Activities Could You Live WITHOUT Doing Forever?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 29, 2021

Haven't started a thread here in a long time. I hope everyone's been doing well!

I guess this is how our lives will be for a while still...maybe forever. But I hope not. There was still so much more traveling I wanted to do! The only things I could probably live w/ NEVER doing ever again are dining out & going to the movies, even though I used to go to the movies a LOT, but those 2 things can easily be done doing takeout & seeing movies from home. I'd get a new, bigger, kind of fancy TV in that case, so it's more like the theater experience!

What activities could you live WITHOUT doing anymore (due to COVID restricting us)?

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 29, 2021

I could live without driving again, except I don't know how long term WFH would be for my mental health/ADHD. I've been looking at remote curriculum jobs since I'm on leave from teaching for the rest of the year and haven't had much luck getting hired in other districts near me. (Come to think of it, I could probably live without setting foot in my school building again... it gives me such terrible sinus issues that I haven't had to deal with all year!)
    I also LOVE grocery pickup. I'd be perfectly content to never go into a grocery store again (though that was true pre-COVID as well.... never went in if I didn't have to!).

As much as I love curbside and carryout, especially now that some places are also letting you get adult beverages to go, I do miss sitting down and eating in a restaurant. I miss movie theaters. Home releases are fine, and my husband and I have a decent sized TV so it's not a terrible home-theater experience, but there's just something about going to the theater, getting popcorn, sitting in chairs of varying comfort levels, and watching a new movie on a massive screen. I was so disappointed we couldn't justify seeing WW84 in theaters. It was great at home, I loved it, but it just wasn't the same.

Otherwise... there's not much in terms of pre-covid activities I could live without doing again. I get super stir crazy at home and I'm ready to be comfortable going out into the world again.

Ms. I likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2021

I could live without actually going to work every day, physically going into stores to shop, and basically anything that requires me to interact with people in person.

Ms. I and mrsf70 like this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2021

I hope that contactless delivery is a thing forever. I love having delivery dropped on my porch and I don't even have to see or talk to anyone!

I don't know if I could ever go on another cruise again. Not because I'm afraid of illness; I just can't get past the thought of those people being quarantined and stuck in those tiny windowless rooms 24/7 with nothing to do for weeks on end. Nope, nope, nope.

Honestly I haven't minded not being able to travel this year. Not having to deal with all of the stress/hassle, saving money, and not having to worry about leaving my pets has been really nice. Would I say I never want to travel again, no, but I haven't minded the break.

I know I may be in the minority on this one, but I found online teaching to be significantly easier, less work, and less stress than in person teaching. I live alone, so long term I don't think it would be good for my mental health. There are a lot of social things that I enjoy about being back in person. However, I was telling my teammate that next year it's going to be really hard to just teach in person as normal all year long, day after day, week after week after having two years of all of these "breaks" during periods of remote teaching. Last spring we were remote mid-March through the end of the year. This year they pushed the start date for students back almost 3 weeks and we got tons of time before they came in, and then we were remote for all of Nov. and Dec. I don't see us every going remote as a whole district/building again, but for at least the next few months there will be quarantines. Once teachers are vaccinated, no more quarantines and we're back to in person, all of the time.

mrsf70 and Ms. I like this.
  6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 30, 2021

In person faculty meetings. I could miss those.

7. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 30, 2021

I'm going to miss the breaks in the day. I found online teaching less satisfying and much harder to keep kids engaged and actually learning, but it was so nice for my introvert self to not be "on" for so many hours straight. I really enjoyed being able to send kids off to work and then check out for a little bit before the next lesson.

I'm also going to really miss our hour-long lunches. I knew from the beginning of the year it was too good to last, but man it was great to have a normal lunch break without having to scarf down food in 10 minutes.

Ms. I likes this.
  8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 6, 2021

Thanks for the comments so far everyone! :) Yes, there are pros & cons w/ remote teaching. But people have different personalities so that makes them either enjoy it or not. I'm the type of person who's ALWAYS loved things remote. I first started taking some remote college courses way back in my undergrad years (seems like eons ago) & later earned an entire grad degree online (from a B&M state university in which the curriculum is just as rigorous).

I'm an only child, so I'm used to having a solitary life, being alone a lot, enjoying the simple things, & being content. Now some people in my position could go either way...they either love it & want to continue OR they crave social events & being around people often. I've been on the hunt for remote work for years WAY before COVID. I'm just the type of person who just doesn't have to see a living soul for school or work & I'm just fine as long as I can still earn a living somehow! Now sure going out in public on my own FREE time going to stores, malls, etc. is great because I'm on my own time & don't have to deal w/ anyone closely there.

miss-m, I hear you about the movies! Sure, between going & never going, I'll still choose going, but if I never do, it seems that I won't mind it that incredibly much.

9. emiliaroyals

emiliaroyals Rookie

Feb 7, 2021

I'm mentally exhausted. So do my students. And we all know that if you're exhausted, then no matter how much more effort you put in, outcome won't be good. Some of my students use https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/topessaywriting/ . It actually takes 6 to 9 months to develop an online class that works.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    CaliforniaRPCV and Ms. I like this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 9, 2021

YES!!!

Ms. I and readingrules12 like this.
  11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2021

Lesson Plans
    Recess duty
    Testing

Ms. I, readingrules12 and whizkid like this.
  12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 16, 2021

I hope staff meetings continue to be held via Zoom. I don’t think they will—but one can dream, right?

The thing that Covid has normalized is grocery/supply delivery. I haven’t been to Target or Costco in well over a year. I get everything delivered to my front door.

I do enjoy in-person dining. It’s nice to be waited on and not have to worry about dishes and cleaning up the kitchen.

Ms. I likes this.
  13. Jens Irving

Jens Irving Rookie

Jun 17, 2021

I can live without going to the theaters, exhibitions and museums. Also without gym))) I can live without meeting my student's parents and my boss.

Ms. I likes this.
  14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 19, 2021

Well, it was 4 days shy of being 15 mos of closures (start to finish) in my area & everything's FULLY open. Hope you're all hanging in there! We have to, right?!

I know people are glad to not have to wear masks for a 2nd hot summer season. I'll personally still be wearing them though, but I plan to go everywhere at opening times to avoid the crowds & beat the heat, which I what I've always kind of done all along before COVID.

It will be fun to watch the Olympics! :D Yes, I was all set to go in person, but oh well!

15. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Jun 19, 2021

I could live without my remote teaching experience: taking time to make videos, online lessons, and posting ignored directions.
    Also, being on a cart & reduced to 30 minutes of art time this school year.

16. LauraW

LauraW Rookie

Jul 4, 2021

I can partly agree with the OP. I've also bought a huge TV and could live without going to the movies anymore. However, I don't want to deprive myself going somewhere outside my home.