What activities are in your emergency sub plans?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Caesar753, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2011

What activities are in your emergency sub plans? Are these "anytime" activities that can be done at any time of the year, regardless of where you are in the curriculum?

3. DallasLady

DallasLady Rookie

Mar 9, 2011

Every year I swear I'm going to come up with something, but I never do. Whenever I am out I write sub plans for that day. Usually if I am starting to feel bad (or one of my kids is) I get a set of plans ready just in case. Sometimes it means I have to drive to school sick to get everything set up for the sub and then head back home.

4. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 9, 2011

I have an article with a writing assignment. Kids read the article, read the prompt, write the response essay.

5. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 9, 2011

I have two emergency folders in my filing cabinet. I get severe migraines, usually in the middle of the night and am in no shape in the morning to put anything together for my classes.
    My assignments are "anytime" assignments that are basically supplementary to the curriculum, but that support the information we learn in class. I have sample textbooks that we don't use in class and use them for sub plans. I also have several ed. videos with worksheets that could be shown in class.

6. school_o_fish

school_o_fish Rookie

Mar 10, 2011

I found a really neat activity that ties into chemistry but that we did not get time to fit into the curriculum. As back up if I need to be out for more than one emergency day, I have articles that the students can read and write a 1 page response to.

7. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Mar 10, 2011

We are required to have 3 emergency plans.

I have: 1. a magazine article reading assignment, 2. a graphing activity, 3. a video assignment (Greatest Discoveries)

These are assignments that I don't give out during the course of the year, and are pretty universal, regardless of the science subject I may have. But so far I have not had to use them. Like previous posters have said, I pretty much know when I may be out and will get things prepped ahead of time. This year was an exception and I did unexpectedly need 2 days in a row when I planned for one. Luckily all classes were working on projects.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2011

We have to have one week of emergency lesson plans. Right now I have extra reading packets, short reading worksheets (mostly reading tables, working with headings, reading diagrams, etc), and prefix-root-suffix work.

This summer, I'd really like to come up with some stand-alone lessons on to short stories I don't get to in class. Of course, in my district, it's a crap shoot with the sub you get for an unplanned absence - the last one let them text, take pictures, and was on my computer.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 12, 2011

I have a collection of items. In my sub folder there is a list of stories that I normally skip in the textbook. They all have questions and activities with them, and the kids can read them on their own. I also have a file cabinet drawer full of worksheets on all kinds of things.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 12, 2011

I have a short film and a viewing guide. Since I teach film studies, it works out well, and is a good review.

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 17, 2011

I am lucky that I have a para that can keep things moving when I am out. I am not gone that often, But, if something happens where she is not available,etc. I have an emergency stock pile of educational dvds, science world, and junior scholastics that can be used.