What about your first "letter to the Parent" note?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherSandra, Aug 7, 2007.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2007

I hand mine out during Open House (the Friday before school begins on Monday).

I was wondering; are your letters as long as mine? or are you very brief? My letter is about 3 pages long and I add about 5 more pages of: Discipline plan, Pledges, etc...:woot:

I teacher PreKinder and I pretty much "spell" everything out in my first letter. I also do weekly notes.

Love this site,
    Sandra

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 7, 2007

My letter to the parents is about 3 pages long, and it goes home with an 18 page booklet that the students get at orientation. The first homework assignment is to read the booklet again with their families and bring back the signature page.

4. MrsCase

MrsCase Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

parent packets

I started typing my first letter to parents as soon as I found out I had the job! I just keep saving it and going back to it to add or change more stuff. But I quickly found that there is SOOOOO much to tell, that I cut the actual letter down to one page and just attached all the other information in the packet. I tried to keep each thing to one page, because any more than that and parents might not even bother reading it. Even though you hand them a bunch of pages, it seems less daunting when each item is only one page long in and of itself.

5. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I'm making a class handbook this year that includes ALL of the vital information. But I am also sending a welcome back letter with a few brief notes about homework, attendance, etc. My welcome letter is about a page long.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

I do a tri-fold pamplet with all the important information on it.

7. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Would someone be willing to post or PM me a copy of their parent letter. I'd like to get an idea of what is usually included in it. Miss W.. I really like you idea of a trifold pamphlet- it's almost like a brochure. Is there a special program you use to make it on the computer? What do you usually include in it?
    Thanks for the help!

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

It's in Publisher. I usually include a little welcome note for the parents telling them what they need to do at the open house. The next two folds are important information (i.e., checking into the office when arriving, beginning and dismissal times, how to pick-up children early, to let me know if a child is going home a different way than normal, we collect boxtop and campbell labels, Monday papers, homework folders, and reading envelopes). On the other side is my 1st day of school note (information about the homework bag that is due the 1st day of school). On the back fold is a how to volunteer paragraph and my contact information.

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

I'd email it to you, but it's on my home computer. I'll try and remember to do that later.

10. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

Can you share your letter? If I send you a PM, will you email out to me?

11. Teacher807

Teacher807 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I'd love to see a letter too. I am a new teacher and I am not sure what to include in my letter.

12. louisiana

louisiana Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

please pm teh letter to me as well.. thanks

13. ericamarie

ericamarie Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

ditto I'd love to see that letter too...

14. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I teach preschool half day and give out a 2 page letter, with a several page packet. The preschool has their own 12 page handbook the parents get. My 2 pages explain the policies of how my class works. I try to hit the important parts and then explain to them in person most of what I mean at orientation. I hand out a cute letter, copy of our alphabet, my sept. calendar, my sept. newsletter and I use to add a cover letter about me. (I now mail that out first with a letter to the child & a supply list) I use to send home weekly updates and reminders. Now with so many parents using email though, my note writing has been less. I print off the email if I have a parent who doesn't have internet access, I only had one this past year.

15. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I'd like to see that letter also. And if you send it to me I'll get it posted here for others to D/L!

16. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Aug 7, 2007

Here is a link to my website. Go to the link for the first newsletter. Mine is 4 pages- 2 pages front and back. I used to send home lots of little letters for the first couple of weeks, but found out that this is much better. At open house, we just tell our parents that it is very important that they read the whole letter. Good luck!:rolleyes:

http://www.sampson.k12.nc.us/Countypage/Technology/Heit/sak/index.htm

17. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 7, 2007

I send a 1 page letter home before school starts, introducing myself and my beliefs. I also have a handbook that goes home on Curriculum Night. It will stay in their BEARS notebook for reference.

18. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 7, 2007

tarheelsak - love the website! You have some great teacher spreadsheets I plan on using! Thanks for sharing! I just bookmarked your site!:)

19. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I put in the letter an introduction of me, a welcome paragraph, my behavior policy, homework policy, I beg for snacks and tissues and wish list stuff and give my daily schedule basically. I include a form to sign up to help in the classroom, field trip letter and donation tear off, a page with the lunchroom pin for each child and also how they will get home fill in the blank, any allergies, problems etc, and finally a page of curriculum. It ends up being 3 pages front back. Lastly I put a poem on top about how home and school are a team that help mold the child. It's a tear jerker one of my kids' teachers gave to me one year. I'll try to post it when I can get back in to my school. :unsure:

20. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

Please post your poem, I would love to see it!

21. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2007

Mine this year is three pages. It welcomes everyone to the class, has an overview of my homework policy, lunch and snack policy (we eat in the classroom), my parent/teacher communication wishes, birthdays, extra expenses (scholastic news, field trips), and an overview of responsive classroom, which I follow for my classroom management system and use the first several weeks of school instead of the regular curriculum.

At Open house, I go over the curriculum, beg for books and other things, go over how they can help their child at home, etc. They get a full handbook from the school also.