What about nail polish?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lyquidphyre, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I wasn't sure if I should post this question here or in the Teacher Time out... but this is kinda teacher related.

Do any of you wear nail polish and is it hard to "up keep" being a teacher? I have naturally long nails (not claw like, mind you) and I ALWAYS keep them polished. But, in college I could easily have chipped nail polish w/o anyone caring. As a teacher, I would never ever come to school with chipped nail polish.

I plan to buy a special nail polish that guarantees "no chipping for two weeks"...

Nail polish- what are your thoughts, routines, and/or techniques?

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2007

I have my nails done every other week (I have acrylics - I'm a nail biter). Sometimes my polish holds up better than others, and you know what? Sometimes I go with chipped nails.

There are always girls in my homeroom who notice when I come in with a "fresh" manicure. They also offer suggestions for colors!

4. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I don't polish on a regular basis. Sometimes, when I do polish, I go to school with it chipped.

5. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

haha I'm still laughing at your "not claw like, mind you" comment. :lol:

Personally, I'd do anything I can to never go to work with chipped nails. I don't mind when others have chipped nail polish, it just bothers me when they're my nails. I'm weird!

I think I'm just going to stick with clear nail polish.

6. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 11, 2007

I only wear clear on my fingernails, because I can't keep the polish nice and it drives me nuts when it's chipped. My toes on the other hand ... that's a different story. I get them done at least once a month, and I've always got some bright and bold color on them. The difference there is, the toes easily stay nice between pedicures, where the fingers just don't.

7. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

I used to have my nails polished constantly, but don't anymore. It does seem like it chips easily, with all the paperwork and getting in and out of files, etc. Plus, I had less time to polish and keep up with my nails. Maybe I will try this year and look for better quality polish.

8. Lady D

Lady D Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

I have naturally long nails also and I never go anywhere without nail polish on my fingernails.I do my nails every 1 - 2 weeks and my polish never chips. I always use two topcoats and I make sure to brush the polish across the very top of the nail which helps to keep the polish intact.I am a nail polish fanatic. I have over 80 bottles that range from nice conservative colors to bright, bold neon colors.My students always look forward to the color changes. Even the boys notice.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 11, 2007

I wear clear polish. I like the pretty shine.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 11, 2007

I don't bother. I can look at it funny and it would chip... lol.

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2007

I find that OPI nail polishes stay on. They are more expensive than drugstore brands, but they have great colors and their topcoats are nice and shiny. My favorite color is "Not Really a Waitress". It's a great red color. I also love "It's Greek to Me" (a pinky color).

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2007

I have short nails, so I keep them natural- my toes are usually hot pink lol.

13. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 11, 2007

I wouldn't call my nails long, but they are by no means short either. I don't bother polishing them honestly because it's too much work for me! I am lucky in that my nails are very healthy and strong so they don't really need polish. I do shell out the money for a french manicure a few times a year for special occasions, and it drives me nuts when they last for a few days outside of school and then the day I walk back into my classroom they chip!!

14. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 11, 2007

I too used to polish my nails ALL the time, but now they chip so easily that I usually only do it for a special occasion, or clear.

15. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 11, 2007

I clip them as short as possible and that's it. I work with infants & toddlers, so I'm constantly doing things with my hands. Once in a while I'll do a clear coat.

My toes always have different colors, though.

16. txtchr

txtchr Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

I go for the pedicures rather than manicures. It stays prettier longer. I always seem to mess up my fingernails. I did do the solar tips for a while but I didn't care for them.

Funny story...my principal gets her nails done and they are about 2 inches long. The kids always make comments about her nails!! :)

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

My nails always grow so nicely during the summer, then they break off within the first two weeks of school. :(

I don't keep them painted, but like Loves2teach, my toes are always a nice shade of pink or red!

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2007

me too; keep mine really short.

I've purchased some of those home-do nails and they work for my special occasions - Open House & special school functions. Like I said, my nails are really really short; but when they're long, I end up scratching someone as I reach for their little hand. :(

19. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

I totally agree! I love "Strawberry Margarita"! It is a bright pink. It is very summery and happy.

20. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Aug 11, 2007

I wish I had nails to polish, lol! I'm a compulsive nail biter and have "ginger fingers" ( where the skin at my cuticles peel off). It makes me very self conscious, but I don't know how to quit. I've tried getting my nails done, but end up biting the acrylic!

21. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I second that! :lol:

22. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I'm also a clear fingernails, pink or red toenail person.

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2007

I have acrylics and get them done every 2 weeks. I also prefer OPI polishes. Polish stays on so much better with acrylics that the chipping isn't a problem. Sometimes the color on the tips of my nails kind of wears away a bit, but only a day or so before I'm due for a 'fill'. My own nails peel and bend, then I bite the cuticles. With acrylics, I leave them alone.

24. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

If my nails are done....GREAT! If not, I'm okay with that too.....I figure I am a good teacher with or without polished fingers!

Now my toes, those are always done during the summer....

25. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

Wow! I didn't expect so many replies!

I think it is so unfair *pouts* that people with acrylic nails have nice, manicured nails that last a long time (as far as the white and pink parts are concerned) but if I just paint my naturally long nails they don't last.

I really love OPI nail polish and I guess the chipping does depend on which nail polish I use, if I use a top coat and if Im stressed (I start picking the polish off if its flimsy and Im nervous/stressed).
    I think I might some stuff at Sallys:
    http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/dept/3240
    The 2nd page has a few more "no chip" top coats.

Mine are pink/peach/coral in the spring and summer.. and red in the winter =o)

26. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 12, 2007

I keep my nails short and I just get clear polish. However my toes are always a different color: pink, red, french etc..

27. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

I love " Not Really a Waitress" :D

I like **** colors for my fingers and bright wild colors for my toes!

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2007

I'm curious, what kind of colours do you like that can't be posted here???:eek:

29. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

N U D E :eek: :eek: :eek:

30. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

It does make for interesting fill in the blanks though :lol: :lol: :lol:

31. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

This site is rated " G" :sorry:

32. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

I like raisin in the fall

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2007

Thanks for clearing that up---I just couldn't come up with anything that made sense (and after a few years of working with grade 7 and 8 boys I think I've heard all of the 4 letter words there are!)

I usually don't wear polish on my fingernails, but always think I should so that I look more "put-together". I keep my nails quite short because I spend so much time on the computer and I can't type very well with longer nails.

34. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 12, 2007

LOL gotta love those ******s that pop up at innocent times! LOL

35. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 12, 2007

I'm Not Really A Waitress is one of my favorites :D - even my husband knows the name of that color. I always have my nails painted and never have chipped nails. I would fix it or remove the polish if I did. I always notice when people have chipped polish or "grown out" polish (usually on toes). It just seems messy and unprofessional. I don't think this over one or two nails or when it is obvious that the polish is fresh, but something has happened. When all fingers are chipped/peeling it looks awful! :sorry:

36. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 12, 2007

Thats why I just do clear! You can't tell then!

37. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 12, 2007

Until my sophomore year of high school (1998) I always had long nails naturally. Well, two months ago my mom convinced me to get acrylics done. We get them rebased every two weeks. I had the nails removed yesterday only to find my nails could still grow long on their own. The lady who does our nails suggested that I only get overlays, not tips. So I did. I get the pink and clear so they look natural. It is nice. I taught summer school and wore a very mild glittery polish. It never did chip. I was shocked.

When I do get my nails done though it is excruciatingly painful. Does anyone else have a problem with their fingers burning during the process and after?

38. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

Ohhhh I would love to get manicures again. I love the look of french manicures. When dh was still in the ARMY I kept my nails that way- until he realized how much it cost (I filled my nails often!). Now I am forbidden lol.

39. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 12, 2007

I get a manicure every two weeks and a pedi every 6. That reminds me, I'm due. I'll have to put that on my to do list for just before school starts. Okay, ramble over.

I like to have color on my hands, but the tips wear off so quickly. I don't have a problem with chipping, just the wear, which bugs me. I usually get them done in a color that I bring in or have purchased my own bottle of. Then, when the tips wear, I put another coat of color and top coat on. Gives me a few extra days. Refreshing the top coat every other day helps keep them looking better as well. Use one that is a quick dry formula.

40. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 12, 2007

I usually get a french pedicure done on my toes. They always add a cute little flower with a diamond-colored gem on the big toes :p Most the year my fingernails stay plain. I just can't seem to keep the color on them at work. I do get acrylics put on mid-November and keep them on through the beginning of January (holiday season). :p

41. repete8

repete8 Companion

Aug 12, 2007

LOL-- I am soooo glad that I am not the only nail biter. I wish I could stop. Maybe I should try acrylic nails.