What a waste of time!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Aliceacc, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2014

You have to give assignments over the summer and holidays with AP classes. The curriculum has way too much in it to not do this. This is one of the reasons that next year I am teaching a Dual Enrollment Chemistry instead of an AP Chemistry. I do not agree with the massive amounts of outside of class work in AP classes for the students.

2. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2014

But it isn't just AP classes in which this is done.

I disagree that you have to give assignments over the summer for AP classes. The work that is required varies from school to school in my district. Some schools have very little meaningful AP work done over the summer and other schools have kids doing huge assignments. Same AP course, different requirements, same schedule. This shows that work does not really need to be given over summer. If it was necessary, all would have similar expectations and work load.

I can see a bit, but I don't see the necessity of the amount that is given even in AP. The district next to mine is no where near as heavy handed in the over break work even in AP classes.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 3, 2014

I teach AP. My kids have no homework over break. My pass scores are very good for the kids I teach. Taking the test is optional. This year I have one student taking it. I feel no need to pile on the work. They have fewer but more in-depth assignments. It works for us.

4. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 3, 2014

I don't. In fact, I assigned no homework Wednesday night OR Thursday night before break. The standing homework assignment that carried on through the break was this:

Homework: If you owe me any late or makeup work, this is you homework. If you don't, enjoy your vacation :)

5. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 3, 2014

:rolleyes: Well evidently teachers don't stretch the rules around here because my classroom of teachers isn't being punished.

And like I said, if that particular rule was even implemented in my district I would go in sick and have them send me home. A lot cheaper than the absurd copay for urgent care visits.

Perhaps we are given more freedom because we have to call in our own subs. Last time I needed a sub I had to call 40 people before I could find one awake and willing to come in for me (it was for a half a day, apparently that's pointless for most subs). I'm sure most teachers in my district are like me: I am not going to go through the trouble of finding and convincing someone to come in unless I am near death.

6. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 3, 2014

I think study hall is a perfectly acceptable and age-appropriate sub plan for high schoolers. Particularly for advanced classes. Particularly if it's a project, essay, or research-heavy class.

Sucks that it happened four times for one particular student in one day though.

7. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 3, 2014

Same here. They weren't happy the kids even had homework at all the week before break (I gave homework on Monday and Tuesday night only).

I wouldn't even begin to even think about giving one shred of an assignment over break... or my email would be blowing up.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 3, 2014

Wow, this thread has gotten off topic. Just wanted to say that I - naturally ;) - disagree with everyone. I regret not giving any work over the break and I wish teachers had given work to my own children. When I asked my students yesterday what they did on their breaks, the overwhelming consensus was "a whole lot of nothing." Something that served a purpose would have probably been nice. I remember one year in high school when my teacher assigned us a current events journal project during the holiday break. We were to clip a newspaper article each day and write a summary. I went to Florida to visit family the entire vacation and I remember walking to buy a newspaper every morning and writing the summary in front of the pool every afternoon. It certainly didn't kill me.

You can say that kids need a break all you want but there are lots and lots of kids of all ages in my extended family. I can't think of one of them that doesn't have a whole lotta free time on their hands regularly.

9. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Jan 3, 2014

I get why you're frustrated, but think it's important to not blow things out of proportion. For one thing it's not the individual teacher's fault that the other 3 were out. Yes they could have probably left something more useful for the students to do, but people make mistakes. Maybe they will realize their mistakes and do something better next year

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

As far as homework over break goes, I had three parents email me to request work over break. I came up with a math packet and emailed parents to tell them it was totally optional, I wasn't collecting it, and I wasn't offering extra credit for it. If parents want their kid to practice over break, they'll do it, if not, they won't. I even sent home answer keys.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 3, 2014

Alice's problem, however is that an assessment done TWO DAYS BEFORE break was not graded and entered. Apparently, this was a make-or-break assessment that has her son a nervous wreck, and it should have been posted in a timely manner.

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

And I disagree. TWO DAYS is not a significant amount of time to wait for a test score. It is a shame that his grade was that borderline that a single test could make or break his grade. But it is crazy to assume that a teacher could not have other, legitimate things to do in those two days. Plus, PowerSchool was down for me on Friday the 20th during my planning period. It could have been for that teacher too. So what is the alternative? The teacher take everything home so she can put it in during her vacation?

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

Excellent point. Someone else pointed out that these could be the only 4 teachers out of 60 that were out-and they just happened to be Brian's teachers. So for those that are jumping on the admin for approving the leave, I don't think that's fair either because each one may have had a perfectly legitimate reason for not being in school.

As far as the study hall thing-I think we need to know the climate of the school. Again, if one teacher thought she would be the only one out, she might have thought "oh just this one time won't hurt". When that happens times 4, uh oh.

The test-I think that topic has been beaten to death here. At face value, it seems like it should have been posted by now. Prior to break, even. However, I'm willing to cut the teacher some slack since we don't know the circumstances surrounding the teacher's week (of which I could speculate, but that's not very productive).

Ultimately, Alice, I doubt this thread played out like you wanted it to, unfortunately. People got really nasty, really fast. I hope today went better for Brian at school, and that he got the news he wanted from his test. :)

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

Is that really necessary?

15. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

I guess none of my posts have been necessary. Nor have yours or anyone else's.

But let me rephrase if my first attempt came across the wrong way.

Alice, I understand that your son is nervous about the grade he earned on his last test since it was a "make or break" grade for him. I do not think, though, that a teacher should feel obligated to stop everything else she must do and/or work over Christmas break in order to make him feel better about his grade. She is still within a reasonable time frame for returning grades when you consider actual workdays. Unfortunately, a little extra concern is sometimes a natural consequence of having a borderline grade. I truly hope he has earned the grade he is wishing for.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 3, 2014

I totally disagree with your assertions that entering grades was a hardship that would have eaten into a teacher's Christmas. There was no reason for the teacher to do work over Winter Break. Scantron tests can be scored within a matter of minutes per 30-student class, and entered within a reasonable time frame. If a test was given on a Wednesday, that's all of the day on Thursday before the insanity of the Friday before an extended holiday.

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

And I totally disagree with your assertions and assumptions. Again, *I* gave a scantron test two days before the break and my students haven't received their grades yet. I did not have time to put them into the computer otherwise I would have. As I said earlier, upthread, it takes me at least 30 minutes to score, analyze and input test scores. To assume that the teacher would have "all day Thursday" to input grades assumes that the teacher did not have students in front of her on that day. I did and I would bet she did too otherwise the OP would have mentioned yet another sub was in attendance. You are also assuming that the teacher did not have other obligations that would eat into that time. For me that Thursday was non-stop from 7:45 until 4:15. I did not even get a lunch break that Thursday but instead had to eat during a meeting.

18. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jan 3, 2014

I guess my students are in the same boat. Our school gave benchmarks the week before break. They were taken on scantrons. At my site, an admin is responsible for scanning the scantrons and entering the data onto Galileo. I submitted my scantrons on the Thursday before break and they have not been entered (as I had already expected) because my admin has a two week break as well. This could scenario could be the same at her son's school as well.

19. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Jan 3, 2014

As a teacher, I understand but operate differently. As a student, I would have resented this to be honest. To you, it's just a test. But to the students, it sometimes seems like so much more. I think anyone could easily find a 1/2 hour to bang out those scantron scores for them...be it before school, after school, or late one night during break.

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

Wow...that's actually...worded very nicely. I guess words do make a difference. :thumb:

21. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

Again, I could not. The only option was to do the work over break and I refused to do more than the two assignments that I could not finish before the 20th. I already shared how every moment from the second I got to school (early) until I left (late) was accounted for. Had I not been scheduled for multiple meetings and additional projects I could have. My time with my family is more important to me than the test grades are to them. But then again, my students totally understood when I told them there w o old be a delay. They know it is out of the norm and that it won't kill them to wait a little while.

22. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2014

The one thing that I have not read (or at least do not think I have) is the reason that my grades were done before I left school before Christmas is that I did not want to have it hanging in the back of my mind during the holidays. As far as not working during the holidays--my husband was carrying around an IPad on Christmas day and had to remote in several times because his company does not totally shut everything down on a holiday. We are lucky that he can remote in because there have been many holidays that we have had to stop in his office because a computer was giving an alarm signal. It is a holiday but not everything can totally shut down.

23. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

Yes, some people do have to work during the holidays. My previous job had me either in the lab every Christmas, sleeping after working a graveyard shift or on call so I could run back to the plant. Having time off when my children were off was a huge reason why I switched careers.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2014

We have one Scantron machine per grade level. Everyone is always trying to find it and use it. Just something to think about...

25. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Jan 3, 2014

We have one in the whole school, and it is generally pretty accessible.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2014

That's wonderful.

But, as it has been said already, there are a thousand possible reasons why the test wasn't graded prior to break. My two days before break? Crazy time. :woot: Not having access to the machine is just one of many possible and perfectly reasons for no grades.

27. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 3, 2014

Alice?
    Oh, Alice?

I think this thread needs a fork stuck in it.

Sorry, Alice. Come back and play.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2014

Just hazarding a guess...one's own kids and their education isn't play, nor is it fodder for what feels like attack.:love:

29. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2014

:thumb:

30. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2014

:thumb:

31. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2014

This thread has to end very soon--ai am so sorry about the backlash that Alice took--it is uncalled for among professionals. J hope that Brian does well but the teacher missed a wonderful remedial opportunity during the break. Love you Alice and appreciate all the wonderful advice that you have given me over the years!

32. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 3, 2014

I have to turn in my scantrons and admin doesn't want them until all make-up tests are done. I had one-fourth of my students miss the last three days before break so my last test hasn't been turned in.

Of course, my kids who were in school knew their grades since I graded the actual tests. They didn't get their tests back since I keep them until all have taken the tests, but got their grade on a sticky note. I have to give certain assessments so I can't make another test for the absent students.

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2014

:confused:

I must have missed where things turned mean... I've read most if not all responses and I thought it was a good discussion despite not everyone agreeing.

34. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jan 3, 2014

I agree with you about everyone not agreeing. :whistle: ;)

35. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 3, 2014

I agree. I think sometimes disagreement is mistaken for something rude or personal on these boards. If anything, people were attacking teachers who miss work for various reasons, not the posters on this board.

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 3, 2014

I doubt we'll ever find out why those 4 teachers were out that day. There's no way I would be able to take a day after a break off unless I had a doctor's note or it would be an unpaid day.
    That usually deters anyone from being out for "no good reason".
    It is odd that there would be that many study halls but again we don't know the reason and shouldn't judge teachers we never met so harshly.

37. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jan 3, 2014

I wonder if any of those teachers are members of this forum. Something to think about.

38. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 3, 2014

In my household, I can ONLY work on grading and planning when everyone else is in bed. My husband does not get the concept that I am slammed all day long and I don't have any time at school to do any grading or planning, for the most part. To grade papers or plan during "family" time would result in a huge, catastrophic fight.

So I did not work during Christmas. Only the occasional night after everyone went to bed. Which of course has been pretty late, given everyone was on vacation. My husband went back to work yesterday, I have spent about 6 hours working on planning today...probably do the same tomorrow and Sunday.

39. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 4, 2014

I don't think things necessarily became mean. I noticed Alice hadn't responded since about page 4 (I'm guessing, not double-checking). Also, all sides had been presented more than once, again, and again.

40. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2014

Now I see the reason for the Marathon thread thing. This one has certainly lived too long and needs to close!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.