What a Terrible Day!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Soccer Dad, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jun 27, 2010

First I get a disturbing email from my new director (a whole different thread!), but my neightbor--who was 87--passed away a few days ago.

His children were over today packing up the house when they broke into a fight about whatever and the police were called. It broke my heart to see the son being handcuffed (he was physically fighting the other son). Their father, who always helped me with yard advice, loved his kids more than anything.

They hardly visited--even when he became too old to cook for himself. We had him over as much as possible and he'd share stories about his children. Now, seeing them like that, I just want to punch them myself!!! :(

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2010

Oh, I'm so very sorry!

He was lucky to have you in his life!

4. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 27, 2010

Soccer Dad, sorry for your loss of a great neighbor and friend. You and your family did a wonderful deed taking him under your wing.

I don't blame you for having those feelings. Obviously we don't know the details surrounding the falling out between your neighbor and his children, but it seems like it happens more times than not.

I know life gets busy, but I find it heartbreaking that children do not have time to spend it with their parents/grandparents; especially if they live in the same area. Being relatively young still (23), my grandmother is 91 and I can't think of not spending the amount of time with her that I do.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 27, 2010

SoccerDad, that is a shame. I have seen it myself, grown siblings it out duking it out over their recently dead parents' stuff. Makes me so ... sad/mad... disgusted.

I'm so glad he had you in his life, to eat with and to listen to his stories.

6. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jun 27, 2010

It really is a shame. My wife and I are going over there tomorrow to offer our help with packing up the stuff. I'm sure it'll look like we're overstepping our balance, but he was a great man and deserves better.

Do you think it's okay for us to go over with coffee and donuts/bagels and offer our help or should we give them time to come to terms with everything? (Although by the way today went, it seems like they have their eyes on the $... but I can't say that with 100% sureness.)

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 27, 2010

This makes me glad I am an only child.

I would have loved it if one of my folks neighbors had brought some food and/or offered to help.

8. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

I think it's a great idea to offer and to take them something as well. I hope it all goes well!

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 27, 2010

I think offering coffee & snacks would be really wonderful. Do it!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

It's possible that what you saw was the realization that Dad was gone and they had missed the chance to do right by him.. I can only imagine how frustrating that would be.

And Blue, the right siblings can make all the difference. As much as we bickered growing up, my 4 siblings have been there every time it really counted-- when my brother was on strike for Christmas many years ago, and his kids got a record number of gifts, when my dad was in hospice for 6 months and everyone pitched in, and through my own battles with breast cancer.

Anyway, Soccer Dad, make the offer. Maybe this morning they'll be more rational and happy for the help.

11. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

That's so terrible.

12. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jun 28, 2010

The daughter was the only one over there today. She's a little off beat, but I don't blame her after everything that went on yesterday.

Apparently, one son was left out of the will and that's what caused yesterday's drama. I really hope everything works out for them.