What a difference!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Curiouscat, May 23, 2015.

1. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 23, 2015

Long story short, I have spent the last few years teaching with a few miserable, negative, nasty, about to retire teachers. I have worked hard to not let them get me down, but it has been very difficult. I've been fine when I've been in my room with the door shut, but the minute I would open my door and hear the yelling and nastiness I just wanted to cry.

Anyway, my principal has allowed me to be part of the hiring process because my entire team is retiring at the end of the year. I can't believe how exciting this is to me!! As decisions are being made I can just feel the positive energy coursing through my soul. I'm already looking forward to next year even though this year isn't even over.

Now, I know next year won't be perfect, but I'm so excited about working with happy, positive people that want to teach. :woot:

Thanks for letting me share!!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 23, 2015

Wishing you ALL the good fortune and great candidates!

4. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

May 23, 2015

Just reading this makes me so very happy for you.....enjoy your amazing luck & happiness, you deserve it:)

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 23, 2015

Yep, one of the best tezchers I ever worked with always said he preffered working with newer teachers for this reason.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 23, 2015

Who wouldn't be glad to get ALL the old crabs outta there! Good for you!

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 24, 2015

Congratulations! What fun!!

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 24, 2015

I hope you get a great team! But please don't put negative attitudes down to age or being close to retirement; I have seen examples of the good and the bad at both ends of the career spectrum.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 24, 2015

OP - I'm sorry you've been in a bad situation and I'm happy that you're happy about what's to come.

ABSOLUTELY. I work with some fantastic teachers that have been in the profession for decades. They are, for the most part, extremely dedicated. But, there will always be some bad apples in both veteran and rookie teachers.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 24, 2015

Totally agree with this! Here's to hoping that you get a fab team next year!

11. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 24, 2015

Thank you to everyone for being happy for me! Trust when I say these 4 are nasty. They always have been, so I know it isn't about age..

Really, they are very unhappy people in real life. I can have compassion for that, but I draw the line when you take it out on children. They are mean to the kids and yell daily. They are passive aggressive and very snarky to everyone. I could tell you stories that would make your hair curl. They know how to turn on the charm when the principal is around.

By the way, I work with three others that are retiring this year and you would never know it. They have continued to dress and act professionally. They will be a real loss to our building.

12. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 24, 2015

Glad positivity is coming your way!

13. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

May 25, 2015

I second this and am saddened by the generalizations that "older" teachers are crabby and not as competent as "newer" teachers.

14. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 25, 2015

I wasn't generalizing. As I stated we have other teachers retiring and they will be a loss to our building. Heck, I'm only 8 years from retirement myself, and I'm certainly not crabby. Some of the teachers we have interviewed have 5-10 years of experience. They are still excited about teaching. I just want to work with people that are excited about teaching and treat the kids in a kind manner. Yelling and belittling children from the moment they walk in the door is not acceptable no matter how many years you have been teaching.

Here's an example of how mean the one teacher is. I hear this daily as she is directly across the hall from me.

When the students enter the classroom she says good morning. If the child doesn't respond loud enough and cheerfully enough she makes them move their clip.

When she takes attendance she calls out each child's name. If they don't respond quick enough and loud enough she makes them move their clip. Then she checks homework. If homework isn't finished she makes them move their clip. So, some of the kids are on red or blue within five minutes of the day starting. If more than three kids don't have homework finished she takes recess away from the whole class.

Does that sound like someone that is a pleasure to teach with? The others in my grade level are equally as nasty. You don't even want to know how they treat the adults in the building!!

15. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

May 26, 2015

wow, poor kids! I wonder what would make a teacher so bitter! Do you think it's due only to life circumstances or a combination of that plus negative experiences in teaching? (maybe more, lack of admin support)

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 26, 2015

Sounds like next year will be an exciting one!