What a difference a year makes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by daisycakes, Sep 16, 2015.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Sep 16, 2015

This year, our school has over 100 new students and we've made classes much larger and have cut a few positions. I remember last year, I was very sick and I couldn't get a sub, so I came in anyway. I was told by my VP that it was his problem if I couldn't get a sub, not my problem and told to stay home and be sick next time and not worry.

The other night, I woke up to find my pet ran away (she hasn't been outside in 6 years and we live right next to the highway). I took a personal day to search for her everywhere. I was crazy with stress and crying all day. I posted the absence online and someone took the job just before school started, so I was relieved. Then the sub never showed up! I got so much flack about it. I heard about it from the office manager, the other teachers (most angry was a teacher who just missed the first day of school so she could take her HSers to their first day of school and 2 days since then for a trip to an amusement park), etc. My VP was like, "are you really sick?" and I had to explain the situation to him. He has seemed not so sympathetic. I understand not everyone values a pet, but is it anyone else's place to judge me? I posted the job, got a sub and can't control the fact that the sub never showed. When I pointed this out to the office manager, she said, "that is the kind of people you get as subs at 6AM." Well, that is the kind of people the district hires!

What plan do you have in place for when your school is short on subs?

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 16, 2015

I always worry about something like that happening. Some people just don't understand the bond between a human and a pet. I would have done exactly what you did.

In my last district, if a classroom teacher couldn't get a sub, a para was usually pulled to cover the class (which, as a sped teacher who needed my paras, really made me angry). If no one was available to cover, then the students were divided up and split amongst the other teachers in the grade-level. None of the other classroom teachers ever got angry. We just did the best we could to deal with it. No one ever held it against the teacher who was out. If a sub didn't show, that was totally on the sub, not the teacher he/she was supposed to be covering for.

Oh, and if a sped teacher couldn't get a sub, well, either sped classes were canceled or it was left to the paras in the room to figure out.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 16, 2015

It's very hard for us to get subs and lately we have a lot of teacher's out. 1 had surgery, another is sick here and there, another has something else and we're without subs, often without 2 (and at our 2 locations we're talking 11 teachers.
    My P never makes us feel guilty, she knows that if we ask to take a day off it's not because we just don't want to come to school, there is a legit reason. We do have 2 subs, but they're not always available (actually we have 1 classroom without a permanent teacher, so we're scrambling to get a sub in there every day. So we're really hurting).
    She either pulls a TA, or if it's the SDC room, which is without a teacher, she sometimes has no choice but to let the 2 TAs run the class, which works out fine. I think in extreme situations she would farm a class out to other classes, or she might even step in and sub for the day. She makes it work and leaves the stress to herself.
    If a sub doesn't show up, how can that be your fault??

5. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Sep 16, 2015

I am checking my emails and seeing the sub signed up for the job after school started (but before my first class of the day) and then later, when they called her to find out how much longer it would take for her to get there, she must have changed her mind and declined the job. I guess they are mad that I let school start without having a sub? I wasn't really paying attention to what time I got certain emails when I was panicking. I do feel badly that I inconvenienced them, but I am 100% certain I would not have found my pet otherwise (in the evening, someone saw a poster and I wouldn't have been able to make/hang them if I had been at work).

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 16, 2015

That happens to us often. It's really hard for us to get subs. The difference is that people at my school don't react the way your coworkers did!! Good grief! That's completely unfair.

When we don't get a sub, the kids are farmed out to other classes. Usually this happens in the grade above and below, or the two grades below in my case, since I teach the oldest grade at the school. We are a small school, so each teacher ends up with about 7 additional kids. We are required to have emergency packets in case a sub doesn't show up so that students have work to do in other classes.

It's not a great situation, but I don't blame the people who are out. They can't do anything to control it. I may need to do the same thing some time, and I would want them to be gracious to me as well.

Also, the secretary's comment was ridiculous. If someone is TRULY out sick, more often than not they wouldn't know until the morning of. 6am subs are quite common!

I am very glad you found your pet! Sounds like the day off was completely worth it.

7. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

Sep 17, 2015

I just wanted to say I am glad you found your pet. I probably be in the same situation as you. We have four small dogs. If any of them were to get out, I would have to call out sick. We have several lakes around here that have gators, so time is really important. At my last school, we would split the class among the 3 remaining classes. It happens. Things are out of your control.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 17, 2015

I would have stayed home also if I had to find my furbaby (I don't call him a pet!!) and just said I was sick. They shouldn't be asking you if you're "really" sick. You called for a sub. What were you supposed to do? I would understand harassing people who call out ALL the time but it doesn't seem like you do.

9. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Sep 17, 2015

I have some family health stuff going on right now and I am terrified that I'll find out I need a sub in the middle of the night or early morning and won't be get one. Luckily, our VP who handles substitutes told me to email him and let him know if I can't find one and he will take care of it.

I definitely would have done what you did, though. My dog is practically my life- I would be just as devastated if something happened to him as I would a human family member. I wish more people understood that.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2015

I'm so glad that you found your fur baby!! I would have taken off as well to find either one of my babies if they had gotten away. I would have just told my boss that I was sick.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 17, 2015

If a sub doesn't fill a vacancy, the VP (which would be me) fills in.

The only time I farm out students to other classrooms is if my principal is off campus at an all day meeting/training. As long as he's on campus, though, I'm the go to guy whenever we can't get a sub.

Generally, I sub about 6-8 times a year. Doesn't sounds like a lot, but it definitely puts a damper on things (I can't be out at yard duty, doing cafeteria supervision, or dealing with student discipline referrals to the office).

I always tell my teachers that as long as they input the absence in the system, it's not their fault if no subs are available to fill the position. I am not about to make someone feel guilty for being out.

12. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2015

In our elementary school, we have divided our students among our grade level team. We have 10 kindergarten classes (my grade), so we divide our 20 or so students among the other 9 teachers. We have this in place on paper in case of an emergency with no sub. I'm glad you found your little furry loved one!

13. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Sep 22, 2015

I have a question about sub shortages in general...our district now seems to have a severe sub shortage, so much so that they are making us plan our field trips months in advance largely to ensure there will be subs available...I don't get it, is it THAT hard to find ANYONE to sub? I realize you may not have great subs, but to not find any? I think that falls on the district to hire more subs...

I'm glad you found your pet, and I would never feel bad if I was out for personal reasons, and the sub didn't show up...IMO that's the district's fault not yours.

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 22, 2015

Tell them to suck eggs.

What would probably happen in our school is if the sub didn't show up the first period, admin would stand in until they got a teacher to step in during their prep. They might call the teacher who is out to see if there is any chance they could come in.

If not, teachers would fill in for them using their prep.

Teachers are paid for using their prep to sub for a teacher.