WHAT a day! Ugh!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by sarypotter, Jul 15, 2008.

1. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

This was THE worst day of summer preschool so far! My twos were in horrible moods today -- ALL of them! They were pushing, snatching toys, pulling hair, screaming, stomping, throwing, kicking, crying, whining, tantruming ALL MORNING. I would no sooner get one disaster averted than another would crop up. At the end of the day, I sent one child home with a bite mark, one home crying because he had just been pushed down, one angry because her hair had been pulled, and NONE happy. It was one of those days where one thing goes wrong and it snowballs from there and you just never get things back under control.

Does not help that my assistant is just not physically up to the challenge of twos. Not her fault, but she should have been hired with older kiddos. She can't keep up and it makes extra work for me. I'm trying to deal with diaper changes, trips to the potty, accidents, spills, disagreements, AND trying to lead fun and engaging activities at the same time. I just can't do it all! I can't wait till fall, so I can run screaming back to high school!

Tomorrow is another day. Right? I can start the day off well and have everyone working together tomorrow. Right? I can, at the very least, prevent injury tomorrow. Right?! UGH!

3. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

Oh Dear! I am so sorry that you had such a horrible day. Have you talked to your assistant about helping more? I hope your tomorrow is better! Good luck - :hugs:

4. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

Been there. Take a deep breath. There is a full moon on Friday, then it will pass. Did my aide from last year come work with you? :whistle: I experienced the same type of problems last year, only mine were 4yrs and should know better. Hang in there. There will be another day when you can't believe what angels they are and you will remember why you are doing this.;)

5. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I had this type of day yesterday! So I totally feel your pain. My assistant was out yesterday. But when he is there, I feel like he is kind of like your assistant. He just cannot keep up. We have a very busy class and I really need him to keep up. I know that the kids can feel change because they showed out yesterday!!!! They would not listen, everyone wanted to to everything at the same time. I am teaching the same ages in summer school that I have during the regular school year but I am on a different side of town. I am sooooooooooooo ready to go back to my side of town with kids, parents and teachers that I know.

6. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

P.S. Let's just be glad that summer school is hopefully halfway over...for me it is, I hope the same for you as well! :)

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 15, 2008

Well, I think full moon is coming this Friday!

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 15, 2008

I think its in the air! The SPED class I am observing- the six year olds were wild today! Every last one of them! Yikes it was just that kind of day! Great for me in a way because I get to see how to take care of all sorts of situations that cropped up today. Whew at least the day is over!

9. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

sarypotter.... Been thinkin' about you today.... Was today better? :hugs:

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 16, 2008

Hopefully it was - because I think my tinies had that vibe today. Lots of fits and everything- knock on wood- short of the hurting. it is only nap though-the day is still young

11. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I really appreciate the responses. Unfortunately, today was not much better. One of my little ones seems to have entered a biting phase, and he keeps me hopping trying to control his proximity to others. On top of that, my assistant is feeling "under the weather" and the first thing she told me today was that she wasn't going to overdo it and "they can just do what they want today," which, um, no they can't, if that involves biting each other. Yeck.

Tomorrow is swim day, which will be really crazy, but then I've got two leaving, so next week I'll have fewer kids and things will be easier. Plus the full moon will be past!

I'm so tired!!

12. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

Been there and done that and it is no fun!! When I have days like that I try to take a big deep breath and remember that they are just little kids. Sometimes I will quckly do a special fun project (chalk, paint, bubbles, new toy out of the cabinet, etc) to break up the craziness.

13. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jul 17, 2008

Biting, fighting, whining, crying, and you can't wait to get to high school? Won't it be the same?!?:lol:

But seriously, the 2's are a hard group, so little still and very dependent on the teacher. I agree with the pp bring in a "new" or different activity. Bubbles, pinwheels, a puppet....easy stuff. Nothing they can hurt each other with..lol. Could they be getting a sugary snack in the morning thats causing it. Or red food coloring can cause hyper activity too.

If you can catch one being fairly good, give them a sticker, stamp whatever you have and make a HUGE deal about it infront of the other kids. They will usually (not always..there are just those days) want whatever you gave the other one, and start acting alittle better. It may not be the perfect behavior but if one is alittle better than others. "Sally, you are sitting there playing and sharing and not crying, what a big girl you are being, here is a sticker for playing so nice" etc.

If your aide isn't feeling well she doesn't need to be there..passing germs around. Talk to your director about getting more help if needed. You shouldn't have to do it all. The aide needs to do her part.

Hang in there, its only a summer job so it will be done soon.

14. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 17, 2008

have yout ried giving your aide specific assignments to do--- maybe assign her to speciic kids --like to intervene with the biters. Maybe she would do a little better if she had specific duties to attend to ----maybe she is feeling as overwhelmed as you are----breaking things down for her might help her be a little more productive--and relieve you a little bit.

15. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

LOL -- actually it will be! I teach the intensive needs class, and many of my kiddos do exhibit the same sorts of behaviors as my twos. Developmentally, that's where some of them are.

The difference is that when a sixteen-year-old is biting, an appropriate response might be to implement a differential reinforcement plan to reinforce the absence of biting behaviors while providing a scheduled sensory alternative such as a bin of chew toys -- but the appropriate response for a two-year-old might be a "Stop and Think" on your lap, and the knowledge that he will probably grow out of it soon. My training lies in how to address behaviors that are age-inappropriate. I'm new at this preschool stuff -- and with typically developing kiddos at that!

Today went better, though. We did break out a few new toys, although they've seen everything in the preschool at least once by now. I was careful to arrange transitions so I could be with my little "biter," who didn't do any biting today, thank goodness! We only have two weeks left and with two fewer children, so I think we'll get through it.

I'm an Applied Behavior Analysis girl at heart, and though I see its value, I have no knack at all for this Montessori stuff! I like structure, structure, structure! Picture schedules and timers are for me! But this has definitely been a learning experience.

Thanks for all the advice!

16. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 17, 2008

I hear you on the free to be style--- I believe wholehaeartedly that hildren need freedom to explore and investigatea nd discover but I like to let them do it with in some set structure.

17. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 17, 2008

Actually Sarypotter, some of my best no-biting ideas are taken from my years as a SPED aide and a intensive tenent support caretaker during college.

When we have a rash of biting, i make sure that we have "snack" out in one coner of the room. it is always something that we aren't allergic too (in my room that is hard) and it is CRUNCHY-that is left over from your biting toy bin.

I "lock" individual carrots (just as an example) inside rubbermaid small cont. so the child is thinking about how to open it-then ask them to "wash it" in the small handwashing sink (water, sensory, plus a little bit of sanitation-however that is completely secondary). When the biters are a bit bigger (yep-sometimes it happens) we have them "peel it" with a rather dull peeler. fine motor plus added concentration.

Then after all that-they get to eat it. but not just regular. we get to put it behind those molars and crunch the first bite as hard as possible and try to get the biggest crunch out of it.

great fun.

the carrots -or whatever they eat are so few after all the work that it doesn't affect their diet too much-and it is always real food not suckers.

make sure that you encourage a person who can't chew well to play elsewhere. if you can't just have an alternative. supervision is needed-but i find biters need supervision anyway.

so - after the biting slows then the food we were using for the chew bin goes into lunch and snacks and we just get our dose of chewing there.

i don't know if that helps-i am sorry if it is a hijack.

I have a psych BA-i am sure you can hear it. but i really like to find out the way to convince the children's bodies to do what they need to.