What a Class!

Discussion in 'Music Teachers' started by Joy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 20, 2011

Wow! I am so exhausted! I am currently taking a two week course in Kodaly Level I and boy have I been stretched! The solfege portion is the hardest! Every night I come home with about three exercises to learn usually consisting of signing with hand signs and doing clapping and snapping usually in canon. I also have lesson plans to write, folk songs to analyze, reading to do, and quizzes to study for. This is after being in class for 8 hours! I'm scared to find out what's in store for me tomorrow! 7 more days to go! I'll be so glad when I am done! Has anyone else gone through this?

3. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 24, 2011

Only 5 more days to go!

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2011

Sounds intense! (But also very valuable :) )

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 24, 2011

Sounds like a lot of work! :hugs: I'm hoping this will give you certification of some sort.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

What is Kodaly?

7. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 25, 2011

It is a Music Education Method founded by the Hungarian composer Zoltan Kodaly. It stresses bringing out the innate musicianship in every child while teaching them the language of music through folk music from their own culture and other cultures. It primarily uses singing and the students are taught solfege syllables and handsigns as well as rhythm syllables. Kodaly believed that only the best music should be used in training children so authentic folk music is very key.

After completion, I will be certified in Level I of Kodaly. The teacher training consists of pedagogy (learning the sequence of when concepts should be taught and how to teach it), folk song analysis (learning how to identify key concepts and understanding when and what to teach), solfege (sight singing, dictation, tone chains, lots of singing), choir (developing musicianship in a group), and special topics (special needs students in the music classroom, folk dancing). It has been very intense but it has opened a new world of learning to me! Only 4 days left!

8. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 26, 2011

3 days left!

9. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

2 days left! I hope I make it through these last two days!!!

10. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 28, 2011

1 day left!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2011

It sounds fascinating!!

12. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

I'm all done!!! I learned so much but I am glad that it is over!

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

Sounds amazing!

I'm not a music teacher by training, but I teach K-4 music at my small school (we share specials duties). This year our school has an exploring theme, so I want to do a lot with music from around the world. Any suggestions on resources for songs from other cultures?

14. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

I would visit the West Music website. They have alot of good books and resources.
    www.Westmusic.com

If you don't want to spend that kind of money on it though you could try visiting The American Folksong Collection at Holy Names University. The website is kodaly.hnu.edu They have alot of American folk songs but they also have a few from other countries. You will just need to put that in your search once you get to the website.