What’s Your Style?!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by That Business Guy, Jul 15, 2018.

1. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jul 15, 2018

Every teacher has their own style of teaching and their isn’t one style that is “perfect.” I would like to know the style of teaching that you absolutely love. This would be the style that you have the most fun using and get the best results. So...what’s your style? AND why do you love that specific style?

Let’s hear it.

3. Coach Fallon

Coach Fallon Rookie

Jul 15, 2018

Well for me personally I teach a course titled "Professionalism in Athletes 101" which pretty teaches the students on how to conduct themselves around the media, during interviews, how to dress etc. With that being said, I would say my teaching style in those classes is pretty much laid back, since the students typically enjoy the class. I also teach Computer App, which I have to be a little more assertive in that class, since I have students that like to goof off.

4. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Jul 16, 2018

I have a tendency to speak loudly and wander when I teach. I’d love to be one of those super calm teachers who speaks softly and can still keep everyone’s attention. That’s just not my personality.

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jul 16, 2018

My style is using good pedagogy to engage students and building positive and respectful relationships with students as a proactive classroom management and behaviour management strategy, which is the cornerstone to learning.

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 16, 2018

Survey says, “Bing!”

Steve Harvey: “Good answer!”

7. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Jul 16, 2018

Wow. Did you pull that out of a manual on answers to give in job interviews? I'm looking for a barfing emoji right now.....

8. RaiderFan87

RaiderFan87 Rookie

Jul 16, 2018

Your comment is so incredibly unnecessary. Rude.

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  9. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jul 17, 2018

I try to turn control over to the kids as much as possible. The classroom occasionally looks a little chaotic, but I'm unafraid to diverge from my lesson plans and learn with the kids, and allow them to learn what they need to. If the kids start making connections that take us in a completely different direction, I go with it. One time I had a simple machine lesson end up with a research project the kids came up with on their own on ancient structures like the pyramids and Stonehenge. It's just the way the classroom conversations and discussions took us. I have no problem being a guide on the side, rather than a sage on the stage. Please note, this gives my administration a massive headache, but they let me go with it because it gets results.
    I also make sure every question kids ask is answered, no matter how seemingly irrelevant it is to the current topic, whether I answer, I have the kids answer, or I have the asker go research the answer themselves, every question in my classroom is honored. If the question is extremely off topic and the kid can't explain how they believe their question relates to the topic, or if I honestly don't know the answer I'll write it down, pull the kid later and we'll find out together or I'll tell them separately.

10. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Jul 17, 2018

Structured, scheduled, and consistent. I teach students with higher level autism so this is type of style works well for that.

bella84, txbelle and Coach Fallon like this.
  11. Melani Glover

Melani Glover Rookie

Jul 17, 2018

Teaching is the toughest job and the style that a teacher develops, it comes with the years of experience, hardwork, sharpening the skills. For any good teacher, the biggest goal is to extract the best out of a diverse pool of students coming from different backgrounds.

12. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jul 17, 2018

My style is similar to yours. My first principal called it “controlled chaos,” which I loved. It’s a style that’s a little louder and looks somewhat unorganized, until you zone in on one group and watch them work.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2018

I'm very laid back and use lots of humor in my classroom. I have the benefit of teaching my students for several years in a row so class management is very easy. My students know when they can play and they know when it is time to work.

14. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Jul 17, 2018

My belief is that it is important to build positive relationships. Have students collaborate with each other as I model the same collaboration with my peers. Another key thing is making sure you are seen as an educator but also a mentor. I want to make sure students know they can come to me for help but at the same time respect me as their educator.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2018

Add in "school mom" and that's me in a nutshell.

Coach Fallon likes this.
  16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 17, 2018

I'm calm, cool & consistent. Super organized and fully prepared, but I can roll with the punches. I'm learning how to give my students more choice and voice. We work hard. I love each of my students dearly and they know it.

17. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2018

I only just finished my student teaching, so I feel like I haven't developed my teaching style yet. It's hard when you are in someone else's classroom because you can't completely teach the way you want to. I personally believe in giving students chances to collaborate and share ideas in class, but I am yet to teach using this style. I will say that I am very calm and I very rarely raise my voice! I thought this would be an issue for me in my student teaching, but it was honestly fine. Most of my students listened to me and respected me, and I hope it will work out next year too.

18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    That Business Guy likes this.
  19. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jul 18, 2018

I’m stealing the CASE quote. Very clever!

Leaborb192 likes this.