Western Governors University (WGU) Online Teaching Ed Programs: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CTSpaEngTeach, Feb 14, 2015.

1. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Feb 14, 2015

Has any of you completed any kind of teacher's education program/degree with WGU? Their (online) programs don't use 'credits' per se; they use what they call "competency units." I have heard lots of different things about them, good and bad, but I am curious about what actual teachers and education pros think of this institution.
    It's a regionally accredited (Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities) online university that has the first fully online teacher's education program to be accredited by NCATE.
    http://www.wgu.edu/about_WGU/accreditation
    Do you know whether or not school districts (particularly NYC, Boston, and/or Philadelphia) are against these so-called competency units? Do they look down on online education, period?
    They way that WGU does their tuition, makes it truly affordable, provided you are able to complete their programs in less time. However, I am curious in regards to how they are perceived by employers, teachers, etc.

Thanks a lot for your help.

3. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Feb 14, 2015

I can't provide any insight on finding jobs in the areas you mentioned with a degree from WGU, but I actually graduated from this university less than three months ago. As far as the education you actually receive, I was very impressed. My pre-clinical experiences and full time student teaching prepared me very well.

After graduating, I applied for a 4th grade long term sub position in a prestigious district in Ohio (where the market is very tough for teachers) and got it (the job starts in two weeks and lasts until the end of the year). Last week I asked the principal if there was any chance that I'd be considered for a full time position for next year, and he said there is definitely a chance and he would schedule my first interview for next week (again, this is a very tough district to get into, and he said he is definitely considering me).

Honestly, being that WGU is technically an "online" college (even though so much of your final year will be spent working in actual classrooms) there will be some administrators who look down on it. I understood this going in, but I did my research and because they were fully accredited, and because I talked to several alumni who found teaching jobs, I went ahead with it anyways. As someone who needed to work full time to support myself, finishing college the traditional way was just not an option, so it was WGU or continue working my retail job forever.

If your situation is anything like mine was, I would definitely give WGU a shot. I licensed very easily in my state after graduating, and if you interview well and are very articulate with your answers I have found that the college you attended is not of great importance to administrators. Of course, this is my experience in Ohio, and it could certainly be different in the areas you mentioned. Just my 2 cents, hopefully it helped a little!

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Feb 14, 2015

In all the interviews I've had in NYC, where I went to school was never a topic of conversation during an interview. But that's not to say that in looking at my resume before contacting me and seeing which schools I attended the P may have choosen, or not chosen, me for an interview.

My friend who works for a different NYC public school, her principal last summer said she will not look at or hire any more teachers from a specific university. My friend graduated from there as well as at least half the teachers at her school. Then again her P is nutty.

5. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Feb 15, 2015

Thank you, K-5 teacherguy and Bunnie, for your hep! :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  6. Jen Whalen

Jen Whalen New Member

Sep 7, 2016

Hi there,
    I am currently looking at their Post-Baccalaureate program and I am also in Ohio. You had no problem getting licensed in Ohio? That is my one concern.

Thanks!

7. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Sep 7, 2016

I did not have any issues at all. The whole process after I got my final transcripts took about 3 days!

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2016

I did my Masters through WGU - not a credential I know - but my district didn't hesitant to count it.