Were You The Best?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Math, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Math

Math Cohort

Aug 21, 2012

Hi, I was wondering were you always one of the best in the subject area you teach?

For instance I want to be a Math Teacher this is how it went for me
    6th Grade - C
    7th Grade - B
    Pre-Algebra - A
    Algebra 1 - A
    Geometry - A

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

I have always been pretty good at my subject.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

Nope.

My junior and senior years of high school I struggled in math. The teacher was one who taught through intimidation, and at that age I was too timid to ask the questions I needed to ask.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 21, 2012

I was, but you'll be fine. If you can do alg and geo, and subsequent math courses, you can do math 6 (trust me, if you look at it now, I'll bet it seems much easier than you remember!)

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 21, 2012

No, not always. I bombed math all the way up until 10th grade (Math A/Algebra). Everything fell into place that year, and then ever since then I have been exceptionally good at math.

7. SeñoritaM

SeñoritaM Rookie

Aug 21, 2012

I've always been very good at Spanish, though I had a tiny setback in college :lol: Throughout HS I had straight A's in my Spanish classes (with the occasional A-, but never a B).

I started out college with all A's in Spanish too, but fall of my Junior year I got kinda 'cocky' and didn't try as hard in the Spanish course I was taking, and ended up with a B for the semester :eek: (That sounds silly, but at the time, for me to get a B in Spanish, that was pretty bad). My professor actually had me meet with him after class one day and was like "Um, what the heck has gotten into you?"

Let's just say I never let myself slip after that one :lol:

But I don't think you necessarily have to be perfect in your Subject area to teach it well. :)

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2012

In high school all my grades were mediocre because I was a lazy jerk. C's mostly with some Bs and Fs

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2012

My high school grades were not impressive. At all. It was due to a combination of working a lot after school most days and every weekend and just not feeling the need. So while I don't have my transcript available, I know that I made mostly Bs in my areas.

In college I did have much better grades (3.98 undergrade and then 4.0 for graduate school and Rank I). I know I had the highest final average in at least two classes because the professors let us know, and both of those classes are related to what I am certified to teach.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 21, 2012

Same here. I was a lazy slob in High School who would get into trouble all of the time.

In fact, I'm teaching 8th grade science right now, and in 8th grade, I was one of THE worst behaved students, and in Chemistry in High School, I got a D.

I retook it again in the summer and got an A from a different teacher though.

I was pretty stellar in Chemistry in college, except for Organic Chem. :p But we don't teach any of that at this level. Planning on redoing my O. Chem just to triumph over it.

11. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2012

Nope. In 8th grade, I barely passed Algebra 1 because I took honors, which was too much for me. I think I got a B in geometry, but Algebra 2 was horrible. When I studied, I got A's and when I didn't, I got D's. I think it averaged out to a B-. Things got much, much better in trig and calculus. I started to apply myself and love math. I ended up getting a 5 on the AP, which I was thrilled with considering my Alg 2 struggles.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 22, 2012

I wasn't "the best" but I did well. In some of my film courses in college I was the best, and I won a few writing awards in college. In high school, I was at a school for the gifted, so I was sortof lost in the pack. I also overextended myself. One semester in high school I had 12 courses, including two independent studies and three performance groups. My grades suffered.

13. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 22, 2012

I don't remember my specific history grades, but I do remember doing better in school during my junior and senior years compared to freshman and sophomore years. I was probably a low B student in grades 9 and 10, and a straight A student in grades 11 and 12. (I suddenly became more motivated in grade 11. :lol:)

14. Federal Funding

Federal Funding Rookie

Aug 22, 2012

Learning math was always difficult, science came easy. Farm work before and after school got me in such excellent physical condition that I was recruited for football, wrestling and baseball starting in 4th grade. But also, btw, I think is was farm work that somehow made science easy for me.
    After our family lost the farm the only job I could find was teaching math. It was a very difficult first year with five preparations: algebra, geometry, trigonometry, pre-calculus and business math. In meetings with the principal concerning my difficulties, I told him I was going to resign at the end of the first year. He fully understood.
    I resigned to find other work, but the economy back in the 70's forced me back into teaching - this time chemistry, physics and physical science. Teaching became my hobby.
    I put all of my time into teaching.
    My new principal noticed the time I put into teaching.
    He was a good person and probably felt bad for me.
    My principal befriended me.
    He hired some potential female mates for me.
    A clique developed.
    He and I dated the available female teachers.
    One of the female teachers got jealous and angry at the principal.
    One thing lead to another.
    Eventually my principal shot and killed the superintendent.
    This resulted in me watching the news on TV.
    I got hooked on television.
    Now I watch all the car insurance commercials.:dizzy:
    So don't necessarily teach what you were best at.

15. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 22, 2012

:huh:

16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 22, 2012

Award for one of the most bizarre posts I've read.

17. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 22, 2012

:lol::lol:

18. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2012

:lol:

19. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 22, 2012

LOL. (unless its true) :lol:

20. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 22, 2012

This post above reminds me of one of those commercials, i think it's about cable where they describe how one event led to another, the outcome was horrible, but it all started out by having cable, or not having cable or something :)

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

I was a straight A student in HS, though I struggled a little in math. I am now a SPED teacher so it's sometimes hard for me to empathize with my students because it came so easily for me in HS.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 22, 2012

I was a good student overall. Schoolwork always came to me pretty easily, so I didn't work all that hard to keep an A/B average. I was a teacher-pleaser, but not interested in doing anything above and beyond.

My degrees are in English. I was always an A/B student in English, and I was in the school's first AP English class. I was consistently a better math student, though. I took all the high-level math classes, and I usually had an A.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

I'm an elementary teacher...I teach everything...I actually think I'm a better teacher of the things that were hard for me.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2012

It's different for me. I'm a speech therapist, but I personally never went to speech therapy when I was younger. I think I'm going to get better & better at it though since I'm still pretty new. :)

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2012

I was a gifted/talented student. I could have made better grades, but I never took a book home. Ever. I graduated HS with a 3.83. I SHOULD have graduated with a 4.0+, but my mom was happy as long as I made As and Bs.

26. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2012

I actually won the senior night awards for English, math, science, and foreign language, which I guess is an indicator that I was the "best" in those subjects, at least according to the teachers in those departments. My graduating class was very small, though.

Not to toot my own horn, but I do feel like I can say I was the best in foreign language, and I often wish I taught it instead of English. I am facebook friends with my foreign language teacher and she still says I was her best student. lol.

27. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 26, 2012

Not always for me. I sucked at math from elementary school to 7th grade..so bad that in 7th grade i was in remedial math. But the funny thing was that i excelled in remedial math and i became a peer tutor for those that were struggling in class. Then from 8th grade on i was great in math.

PS it's great to be back on the board :).

PPS Peregrin...i sucked at organic chemistry also LOL

28. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 26, 2012

Ahhh sometimes I wish I was getting certified to teach French... so I know what you mean. I won the senior award for AP French too.

Does ANYONE not suck at orgo? :huh:

29. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Aug 29, 2012

Language Arts / History.
    7th C / C
    8th B / D
    9th c / d
    10th d / c
    11th F / D-
    12th D / B

In between HS and college, I read like crazy. I took the Praxis World/US Hist CK and passed easily and without study. I took CLEP for US History passed like crazy. Passed Hummanties CLEP.

I read everything by Bill Shake. Went to every play I could of his. I read most all the "banned" books. Bythe time I went to college as non-trad student I was far more educated the other students. I was 'smarter' or at least more educated the most of the seniors. In college I received one B.

In HS US History, I refused to do the research paper. Highest grade I could earn was an D-. I aced everything else in US History class.

I joke that a class I failed in HS I now teach. While I am not a LA teacher by degree, I did Social Studies degree than based the LA (and more) test.

Was I best in HS? Nope. Not even close graduated bottom 10% of my class. Took me a bit to get cracking.

In college I sold copies of my notes and they were in high demand.

Now? I am the best at what I do.