Were you sad to see your kids go (i wasn't)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacher_Lyn, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jun 18, 2009

This is my second year teaching. During my first year, I worked at a different school w/a more supportive administration and team and was really sad on the last day of school to see my kids go.

When the final bell rang, we all did a huge group hug and I was tempted to give them my email address because I already missed them that much. This is embarassing, but as the dismissal approached, I started wishing for more time with them.

At my new school, I felt none of that. On the last day (toay) I was watching the clock, counting down the minutes. The second they called for the kids, I'm ushering them out the door and down the hall.

It felt like any other day, not the first day of school. I felt no bond with them.

Does this come from having such a rough group this year, or from having more experience teaching?

3. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 18, 2009

I felt the same this year - I'm not sure if it's the school environment or that group of kids - the whole grade level said this group was different and not in a good way. They were a hard group to get close to and make connections with - I am hoping it was just that group because I wouldn't want to teach like that for the rest of my career.

4. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jun 18, 2009

I have to say I'm in the same boat as both of you. I was so happy to see my kids go. Last year I was at a different school, in a grade level that I loved, and I cried as the buses pulled away. This coming year, I am so happy to be going back to K, I think that will make a big difference.

5. DocuiSedecim

DocuiSedecim Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

I must say that I had the best first year!!!

I hated to see my sixth graders leave. On the last day we had fun, watched a movie, and got ready for the award ceremony. Before they were excused to walk over to the gym we had a final group moment. I was talking to them, and looked around to see half of my class crying, I was shocked, needless to say it hit me (as a male, I won't say that I cried, but I was close).

My students made me a banner the day before, and it had wonderful notes. Many of my kids were moving, and they wrote that I need to remember them, because they would remember me. It was touching, and that alone, made my year worth it.

I began Power Teaching (with some additional structure) this year, and it spread like wildfire at my school. My class was always the one used as an example, teachers observed, and my kids ate it up. So at the end of the day we were lined up ready for the bus, and my kids begged to do lines one last time to show everyone how it "was done."

My kids were GREAT!!! They were the most difficult grade in the school at the beginning of the year, and by the end they were the group that showed everyone how to behave.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2009

I was ready for them to go. I had a group of 4 boys who should not have been in class together. Two of them made my life hell. The other two were fine unless they were directly interacting with the other two. Sadly, these two boys made my whole year miserable and made me hate my class. I really didn't hate my class- I loved most of them. But, one child in particular made it a horrible year for all of them. Because of him, we had very limited group/partner work and projects. He was insubordinate and downright disrespectful to me.
    He actually did not pass the requirements to be promoted, but my P is fed up with him and his mom, so he is being passed on.

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 18, 2009

I'm going to absolutely miss my babies :( I cried at home while I was getting dressed for work. Now last year... I was like C-ya!

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

Shasha- that quote is priceless!

Giraffe...I must say I am loving your new avatar!

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

I think you do have classes that touch your heart more than others.

this year was a little rough. My kids were sweeties, but my principal wanted to let me know what a great teacher I am by putting a class together for me that was exactly HALF diagnosed ADHD (20 boys and 2 girls). And 3 retainees. Again, they were sweet kids, but exhausting. I am glad the year is over!!!! But I think it's sad if it doesn't pull your heart a little to see them walk out. You have spent a year of your life with these kids that you may never see again. They take a part of you with them forever!

10. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Jun 18, 2009

I was sad to see most kids go, but there were a couple that I was glad to see go. Last year, I was sad to see them all go. Hopefully this next year will be more like last year was.

11. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jun 18, 2009

I kind of know how you feel Teacher_Lyn. I've also only been a teacher for two years. My first class was a dream. Everyone of them were so sweet and caring. Our class was really close and we bonded so much. Me second year was completely different. The students did not click with eachother and treated eachother pretty badly. Plus I had my share of behaviorally challending students. However, there were those student who I'm really going to miss but I didn't bond as well with this group.

Also, I think that having an awesome first year gives you very high expectations for the next year. I went in thinking that my second year class would be like my first year class. Boy, was I wrong!:)

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2009

The class I work with the most this year--grade 8--is driving me almost to drink right now, but I will miss them like crazy! Graduation is on Monday night and I am worried that I won't be able to keep my emotions in check. They have "personality-plus"-- loud, a little obnoxious at times, crazy, funny, caring, friendly, out-going, and terrified of going off to high school. It's going to be an emotional couple of days as we wrap things up.

13. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Jun 19, 2009

This was my first year and I feel like you will have a connections with some classes and others you won't. I tried to connect with my class this year and although I know them all like the back of my hand (They thought I was psychic.) I couldn't do it. They were a wild group and I can honestly say I don't think I'll miss them. Now next year, in kindergarten, will be a different story. Something about the little ones growing up that always gets me...

14. little317

little317 Groupie

Jun 19, 2009

My first two classes were awesome. They bonded well, were caring toward one another, were well behaved and many really excelled. This year I had a class that was half and half. Half the kids were such darlings. One girl would even bring me fresh roses from her mom's garden. Then the other half of the kids were terrible. They were a very distructive group. I've had to replace so many center materials because of a few kids. I was sad to see some go and very happy to see others go.

15. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 19, 2009

This was my sixth year teaching and the first year that I was anxiously herding them out the door on the last day. I am so glad to see the whole grade level go. In fact, I think we may have a school-wide party when they leave next year after fifth to go on to middle school.

It actually made me sad that I really won't miss any of them.

16. ilovetoread

ilovetoread Rookie

Jun 19, 2009

Class

I miss my class from this past year! I had a really great class except for this one boy who was amazing at knowing exactly how to push my buttons, and exactly when to push them. I was so excited to put him on the bus the last day of school...but as he was getting on the bus, he turned around, gave me a huge hug (he was not the type of boy to hug anyone) and told me that he didn't want to stay at home all summer, he would much rather stay at school with me. And then, of course...all his behavior over the course of the entire school year was forgiven with that one hug and comment...:p

17. missk83

missk83 Companion

Jun 19, 2009

This year was my first year. They were a tough group, but I will miss them so much. I hope to feel the same way about all of my furture classes :)

18. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 19, 2009

I told my 4th graders that they were one of my favorite classes that I ever taught! One of my boys (the one that I was always reminding to sit down, stop talking, etc.) wrote in my yearbook that he wished the year would last longer. I asked to loop with them, but it didn't happen. I had the prinicpal's and a co-worker's children in my class, & the principal's wife and the co-worker even wanted me to loop. So I got the next best thing, I'll be moving up to 6th, so I'll get them again in 2 years!

19. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jun 19, 2009

It was my second year and I miss them like crazy...now, LAST year, I went out and celebrated after that final bell!! I had the hardest first year with the most notorious class in school.

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2009

My second year was like that (kinder). My first year I cried so hard (kinder). My third year I was also sad (fifth grade). This year, I hugged them each as they were picked up, but didn't really feel sad (kinder).

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 20, 2009

I really had a great class this year, good thing too because I was going through a lot of tough stuff personally, so I appreciated them a lot.

However, they were such stinkers the last 8 days of school that I was soooooooooooooooooo glad to say good bye! Not one single tug at my heartstrings! I couldn't wait for everyone to get picked up and head to the staff luncheon!

22. phillygirl

phillygirl Rookie

Jun 20, 2009

I will not miss this class. I had a tough group this year. The parents were no help with behavior support this year. I had 6 boys (ADHD) and the parents could care less what I did with them. They just didn't want me to suspend them. When the final bell rang I pushed them right out the door. It felt like I was playing the game. " Do not pass go! Do not collect $200! Go straight to the bus!!!":haha:

23. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Jun 20, 2009

I had a feeling that this would be my year of trouble. You cannot have 2 years of good/great kids without a year of humdingers.
    I WAS SO HAPPY TO SEE THEM GO!!!

24. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jun 21, 2009

I love love love teaching, but I honestly am ALWAYS ready to see my kids go for the summer...I guess part of that stems from the fact that I teach in a small school in a small town, so I know that I will see most of the kids all during the summer at VBS, church functions, Walmart, etc,etc. I guess the last day of school doesn't really feel like "the end" around here.....

25. TBRacing

TBRacing Rookie

Jun 21, 2009

I was student teaching last semester and even though I was only there for 4 months, I fell in love with most of them. I will admit there were a few that I wouldn't miss quite as much, but even though we had some rough moments during the semester I really did enjoy the students. Their comments and the things they do are hysterical.

26. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2009

I was not sad to see them go. I'll miss them, but I'm always happy when the year is over. And they are always excited to go because they will be going to middle school. I did have some tears (from them) before they were dismissed, but overall they were excited.

27. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 21, 2009

Yeah I agree with everyone else. Some ya miss, some ya don't. I loved my kiddos, and I gave them all awkward hugs goodbye on that last day... but then my mindset immediately changed after they were on the bus and all I could think about was packing. :lol:

28. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 22, 2009

I was more than ready! I was doing the happy dance down the hallway when we had the 5th grade clap out! The staff was laughing at me...but I was ready! Funny thing was-this class was the most difficult I have had-and they were mean to me from the get-go. Some of my worst offenders were boo-hooing down the hall-like they were going to miss me or something! (I think it finally hit them that they were now going to middle school, and the easy street they had in our building is OVER!)

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2009

I really liked the kids I taught this year.

Good thing. I'll have some of them again next year-- some for the 3rd time!!

(I taught 7th grade 2006-2007, lots of those same kids in Algebra I Honors this year, and next year I'll have 2 classes of Soph Geometry Honors.)