Were you nonrenewed or put on an action plan your first year

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by futureteach24, Mar 30, 2013.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Mar 30, 2013

or did you have a successful first year?

3. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Mar 30, 2013

Also, for those that were nonrenewed or put on action plans are you/did you stay in teaching?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2013

I had a successful first year. However, with the new evaluation systems all first year and most second year teachers in my district were rated needs improvement and were put on action plans. Some of these second year teachers were rated as satisfactory or proficient last year...

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2013

I had a successful first year, including being given post-probationary status (tenure) based on my good evals. Nowadays that would never happen because of the new eval system, as mopar said.

I work closely with two first-year teachers who are both struggling this year. One struggles greatly with classroom management but has no problem with the day-to-day administrative tasks of being a teacher. The other is just the opposite: fairly strong classroom management but major problems with the day-to-day administrative stuff. I'm interested to see what their final evals look like.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 30, 2013

I know two who were non-renewed last year. Both found jobs this year. I know the one has had great evaluations this year. Not sure about the other one. They were both at the same school last year and the P sounded like he didn't really know what he was doing.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 30, 2013

Nonrenewed for me...I showed her! Got a job the next September and been doing this twenty two years and am NBPT (twice)!

8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Mar 30, 2013

what does nonrenewed mean? Is it a euphemism for being fired? :cool: My super wanted me to resign my first year. I said no, because I have a child to support and resigning would mean I wouldn't get unemployment benefits. I was laid off anyway because of budget cuts. I had a disastrous second year.

This year is going a little better, but still got an unsatisfactory last fall and the P doesn't care for me. Anyway, I've had enough of middle school and am eyeing a college-level position for next year.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2013

A very good first year.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2013

I was nonrenewed one year. :( I had excellent observations and evals and was even nominated teacher of the year. Reason? I would have been made tenure the following year. All prob teachers who were prob 2 that year received their non renewal notification. It's all politics. Wonderful, isn't it?

I was given the choice to go through non renewal or resign. I chose to resign. I ended up getting a job back at that school two years later when the principal was fired.

11. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Mar 31, 2013

I had a great first and second year.

I resigned at the end of my second year because my husband (military) got orders to another state and I was also 8 months pregnant. I stayed home with my babies for almost four years, we moved back to our home state, and I was just hired back at my old district. So I'm a first year teacher all over again! ;)

12. comaba

comaba Cohort

Mar 31, 2013

In my school, we typically have several nonrenewals every year, including 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year probationary teachers. None are due to reduction-in-force (laid off). Except for one, I know that all of them were hired in other districts the following year.

I don't think that alone should be a reason to give up teaching. :)

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 2, 2013

My first two years as a probationary teacher went extremely well. I was so happy to be granted tenure after my 2nd year, though. What a relief!