Were you inspired by a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 9, 2012

I noticed that a lot of teachers talk about a teacher that inspired them to go into teaching when they were in k-12.

Is that generally the case?

I wasn't close to, nor very impressed by many of my k-12 teachers. I only began to be interested in teaching from watching some of my college professors.

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2012

Very much so.

4. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Dec 10, 2012

Yes, I was as well. Knowing that I can now do the same for children is an amazing feeling.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2012

Yep. In 3rd grade.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2012

I suppose I was inspired but not in a way that most people would think. I was a little jerk in school and I remember sitting in my boring classes thinking "I could teach better than this!" So I went and got my degree and am doing everything possible to NOT be like all those teachers I hated so much.

7. ATXMusic

ATXMusic Rookie

Dec 10, 2012

I had several teachers that inspired me to go into education. Granted, I also had several that made me want to avoid the profession as well.

I'd say the better teachers had a bigger impact in this area.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 10, 2012

Believe it or not, my 2nd grade teacher inspired me so much that I wanted to teach 2nd grade ever since I left her class. She and I keep in touch via Facebook and I truly admire her. Phenomenal lady!

My high school AP Spanish teacher also inspired me to teach. I would sit back and watch how she used so many different strategies to keep us engaged. Teaching a class full of high school Seniors who are ready to graduate and move on to college can't be easy, but she had a way of making us really love the language. She is currently a principal in my school district and she says she takes great pride in telling everyone that I was one of her former students.

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 10, 2012

My grade four teacher was awful, and inspired me to teach... my Vice Principal (who really looked after me that awful year) was another inspiration for me.

10. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Dec 10, 2012

Yup. My high school choir director sparked the interest, and two of my other high school teachers inspired me as well during senior year.

Some of my college professors have guided me as well. I think I originally said I wanted to teach high school because that was all I knew. But I'm starting to think I'd be happier teaching at the university level and doing research.

So yeah, teachers have, and continue to, inspire me and guide me.

11. teachart

teachart Comrade

Dec 10, 2012

I had a few inspiring teachers, but not my art teachers. I always felt ignored by them.

Because of that, I will treat each student as an artist, no matter how "talented" they appear to be.

Most of my art ed cohort has the typical "I had an art teacher that believed in me" story though.

12. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2012

My jr high PE teacher was mine. He was the BEST. Taught us everything badminton to wrestling. My principal from 4-6th was a good one too, and taught 6th grade at the same time. Iwent looking for the PE teacher about 10 years ago and found him retiring as a college Prof. in Tennessee. I wish I could find about a dozen of them to talk to them about teaching now but most of the Elem. ones have passed on.

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 10, 2012

Yes, I was inspired by 3 high school teachers I had.

14. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 10, 2012

My 6th grade teacher inspired me to teach. I still see him and I work with his daughter.
    I had a few middle school and high school teachers fan the flame, but my 6th grade teacher was my true inspiration.

15. Asmartcookie

Asmartcookie Rookie

Dec 10, 2012

I knew when I was around 4th grade I realized I really liked the thought of becoming a teacher. And having a dad that teaches as well probably influenced it as well. Although I don't think he wants me to go that particular route just due to the stress of the job alone but he's not mad lol.

16. Math

Math Cohort

Dec 10, 2012

Yes, I was first inspired in 8th grade by a math teacher. Then, in 9th & 10th by a math & english teacher. Though, I do want to teach high school but I would not mind teaching 8th grade. I had actually told my teacher that she inspired me to become a teacher. :)

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2012

Yes.

My second grade teacher, fourth and fifth grade teacher, and a few others to a lesser degree. I have been able to let all but one know how much they impacted my life.

And I have one who serves as the "Don't Ever Be Like Me" teacher.

18. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 10, 2012

I was inspired by a teacher that I read about when I was a freshman in high school. John Baker in the book "A Shining Season" by William Buchanan. That book inspired me to be a teacher...and to aim to be a great one.

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Dec 10, 2012

My band directors and AP English teachers in high school!

20. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Dec 10, 2012

My 2nd grade teacher, although I now plan to go into secondary. I tried to contact her recently to let her know I plan to become a teacher, but never received a response. :-( Bummer! Teachers are busy though!